Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2015-16 Award change date change route all changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Voluntary Award Changes Questionsfor carrier, co-terminal, date, destination, add / drop a segment, origin, routing, cancellation AAnytime <-> MileSAAver and other changes

See the current thread here, please.

NOTE: For involuntary award changes (caused by the operating carriers), see Involuntary Award Changes / What To Do (merged threads).

Ordinarily, one must call to request or make changes to award tickets.

Award changes, ordinary

NOTE: More extensive listing of terms and conditions are listed in oneworld and other all partner awards rules, Information 2015 on

Award carrier, connection, date or routing changes: As long as origin and destination (but read on for exceptions such as first / last segment) remain the same, change / award redeposit fees are usually waived for awards under certain circumstances when date, connection, routing or carrier changes are made But:
Airline / carrier changes incur no change or redeposit fees as long as you do not try to change between all AA oneworld airlines and non-oneworld airlines or vice versa.

E.g. an AA award such as SEA-HNL-SYD using AS can not be changed to use JL without requiring award redeposit. An award using AA LAX-HKG can be changed to JL via NRT or CX Without redeposit ing miles.

If Maximum Permitted Miles (usually 125% of the most direct available routing) for an award is exceeded, two awards may be charged

or

MSC fare requirements: The most significant or prevailing carrier, usually the one with the transoceanic sector, must offer an unconstructed fare between desired origin and destination; if a fare would require "married segments", two awards may be required.
Award validity: Awards must be used within one year of original booking. For travel beyond that, the award miles will have to be redeposited and new awards secured.

Award cancellations can be by phone or online, but online cancellation requires separate action to reinstate the miles. Canceling online does not request or result in miles redeposit.

Award miles reinstatement: Redeposit fees are waived for Executive Platinum members. See here for more information on award miles reinstatement.

"Upgrading" class of service by using miles requires redepositing the original award and issuing a new one for the higher class if service. AA will waive the deposit fee on the redeposited award, and will not charge for this. (However, taxes may differ, such as going from the discounted U.K. Air Passenger Duty to the full APD if upgrading from Y / PE to J; if there are higher taxes and fees imposed by the new fare, the passenger is charged for those.)

Co-terminals: For award purposes, there are no co-terminals; changing co-terminal airports (MIA and FLL, PBI; JFK, LGA, EWR etc.) will incur a $150 change fee. See this thread for detail on award miles redeposit.

An award using AS, FJ, HA or TN to South Pacific (e.g. AKL, SYD) can not be changed to AA or QF without requiring award redeposit (or vice versa).

Dropping segments: Awards made on AA or / and "all partner" carriers will allow changes mentioned above without requiring redeposit fees. Instances of dropping an origin segment can be allowed, or a final segment - as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards); changing the mileage (miles required) of the award claimed or the number of awards claimed.

Segments can be dropped as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards). If you are refused, refer agents to the in-house memo/advisory dated 02/03/11 entitled "Dropping OWFA segments." (guv1976)

As JonNYC posted:

This document was current as of December 2014:

For permitted changes and fees, see this post in the airline partner award thread.

See TravelingBetter.com here and illustrations here.

If the award is AA and oneworld, changes may be made as long as the main / governing /Most Significant Carrier makes an unconstructed fare on the award routing and the governing fare's carrier is not changed to one not offering such a fare.

Close-in booking fee: Changes made to bring travel to under 21 days from award issue will incur close-in booking fees of $75.

Schedule changes: On international awards, schedule changes of two hours or longer, or those breaking connections by bringing them below MCT / minimum connection times, flight cancellations, generally may be cancelled and redeposited without fees, or engender greater flexibility in changes. With AA awards, it is possible award seating may be opened when there is none; with partners, AA can appeal to the Liaison to the partner to open seating in these cases (the partner airline may or may not grant the exception requested). Equipment change constitutes a schedule change and you will be able to get the fee waived pre this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Partner changes: If the award includes non-oneworld partners such as AS, EY, FJ or TN, or a oneworld carrier award is changed to include a non-oneworld carrier, or vice versa, significant fees will be incurred ($150).

"Upgrading" class of service by using miles requires redepositing the original award and issuing a new one for the higher class if service. AA will waive the deposit fee on the redeposited award, and will not charge for this. (However, taxes may differ, such as going from the discounted U.K. Air Passenger Duty to the full APD if upgrading from Y / PE to J; if there are higher taxes abd fees imposed by the new fare, the passenger is charged for those.)

Changes that require different award type -

Changes to the itinerary which involve different AAdvantage award(s) than originally ticketed require a reinstatement of the original award ticket, payment of the applicable award reinstatement charge (see below), and a new award ticket issued (waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account). However, SAAver awards canceled for AAnytime awards, or changing to a higher class of service, will not incur redeposit fees.

Changes to your outbound travel date, resulting in a departure within 21 days -

Close-in booking fee: A $75 USD award processing charge will apply for a confirmed change to the date on an AAdvantage MileSAAver and AAnytime award ticket if the change results in a new outbound travel date that is within 21 days of the original booking date (waived for AAdvantage elite members using miles from their account).

Contact AAdvantage Reservations to change your itinerary, pay the applicable charge and have your ticket reissued prior to travel.

Canceling Awards / Reinstating Award Tickets
(Waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account)

Award class changes: MileSAAver to AAnytime changes generally incur no fees; conversely, AAnytime to MileSAAver awards generally will.

Award cabin class "upgrades" (e.g. Y to J): If the change made is an increase of miles to another cabin class, fees are not normally charged (but some government required fees such as UK Air Passenger Duty, airport passenger facility fees, etc. may change).

Redepositing awards incurs a fee of $150 other than for Executive Platinum members redepositing to their accounts. If two or more awards are being redeposited to the same account at the same time, the fees are $150 for the first award, $25 for every award thereafter. Note the awards do not have to share the same PNR, though some less knowledgeable agents will insist so.

Note: given a 120 hr / 5 day hold is offered, there is no right to Free cancellation (without redeposit) within 24 hours of securing the award. OTOH, mere date changes to a year from Booking are free of charge in most instances.

Please see: State of the award reinstatement fee (Nov 2015 - clarifying)

FAQ: Cancel award ticket / cancellation (time frame, taxes, etc.) (merged threads)

Link to 2012-2014 archive of older posts on this topic

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2015-16 Award change date change route all changes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by mvoight
But, he checking in with AA at DFW, I assume
If his itinerary truly is DFW-SYD-WLG, then he's checking in with QF. Unless AA handles QF's check in in DFW.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by bevan7
Yeah the connection is about 12 hours. What happens to my bag if I miss the flight?
With a 12h connection you might be able to convince the check in people that you want your luggage to change clothes for spending the day in SYD.
Otherwise, as JonNYC suggests, start by asking AA if there would be any penalty in removing the last segment.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: AS,TK
Hello All
I got the same question for dropping last leg. I am holding MUC - DOH - HKG - TPE, QR + QR + CX , and I booked staying over night in HKG, but less 24 hours. May I know if I can drop the last leg without reissue like giving up the leg since i need to stop over in HKG for 3 days now .

Thanks
Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:09 pm
Suspended

This was the rule last time I looked:

https://travelingbetter.vbulletin.ne...xible#post4890

Call and ask if it still is.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
I currently have an award booked at the old rates that goes DEL-AUH-LHR(EY F)-NCL(BA Y).

I need to change the date to 1 week later. Currently there is availability for DEL-AUH(8hr overnight transit)-LHR. Alternatively there is availability for BOM-AUH-LHR (albeit departing at the ungodly hour of 4am). Neither option is ideal, but would it be possible to change the origin to BOM without incurring a fee/change in miles. I have read on here that changing the origin in the same region is not possible but how about within the same country. If not possible I may just change to the DEL option and hope availability for a better connection opens up.

Last edited by pogonation; Jul 9, 2016 at 5:40 pm
Old Jul 9, 2016, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pogonation
...would it be possible to change the origin to BOM without incurring a fee/change in miles.
Nope, would be repriced.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Nope, would be repriced.
Thanks for the reply. Well that makes my decision a lot easier. I don't really fancy the idea of adding another DEL-BOM leg to the itinerary so it will have to be an overnight layover in AUH with the hope of changing either the DEL-AUH or AUH-LHR sector to make for a more comfortable transit.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Change award routing

I am trying to change an award routing from MSP-LGA-PHL-MUC to MSP-PHL-MUC. All flights are on AA, and the award is available in Saver. The CSA is telling me there is a change fee to change from a connecting award to a nonstop between MSP and PHL, new rule. Has anybody heard of this new rule?
Old Jul 11, 2016, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by drminn
I am trying to change an award routing from MSP-LGA-PHL-MUC to MSP-PHL-MUC. All flights are on AA, and the award is available in Saver. The CSA is telling me there is a change fee to change from a connecting award to a nonstop between MSP and PHL, new rule. Has anybody heard of this new rule?
That one is definitely made up. HUACA at a different time. I found when I have made changes before that if you elevate it ta a supervisor they often just back up whatever nonsense the agent is telling you.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:56 am

I previously posted about an issue where I called in on March 22, 2016 to book tickets and was quoted 55 k, but the tickets later booked at 70 k (see details below).

I've called customer service - where the agent contacted his supervisor and said that because the tickets were booked at 70 k, there was nothing they can do and I could try contacting Customer Relations. I contacted Customer Relations via email and was given the same reply. What other options do I have? I'm happy to write-in if I have an address!

In my call records, I made the call at 10:23 PM Eastern 3/21/2016 and ended 108 minutes later...the agent on the phone was very clear that the ticket needed to be booked today, which I agreed to, and the cost would be 55 k miles.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by pogonation
Thanks for the reply. Well that makes my decision a lot easier. I don't really fancy the idea of adding another DEL-BOM leg to the itinerary so it will have to be an overnight layover in AUH with the hope of changing either the DEL-AUH or AUH-LHR sector to make for a more comfortable transit.
Just a follow-up on this. Tried to change to the DEL-AUH(8hr40 transit)-LHR but no-one could see availability. I thought this might be the case as Etihad employs married segment logic and therefore DEL-LHR is available but not if searching for AUH-LHR by itself. When searching for DEL-LHR AA can only see the pairs with good connection times.

So changed to DEL-BOM-AUH-LHR (going to BOM early in the day so we can spend the day in BOM and get a hotel before catching our flight at 4:20am ). No change in miles or taxes after going through rates department.

Now I will hope for the 4am DEL-AUH to become available (seems a lot easier than waiting for AUH-LHR availability) however I am worried that if it does, I will be unable to make the change since the AUH-LHR leg is 'married' to the BOM-AUH leg. We will see though..
Old Jul 12, 2016, 12:17 pm

1 of 2 Pax Dropping Return Leg - Options?

Would appreciate your advice on the best way to handle this: I'm Plat, booked two reward tix in 1st for SFO-CLT-YYZ return for this coming weekend. My BF is no longer returning with me (he had a biz trip come up in NYC and has booked his own way there and home to SFO from YYZ with another airline).

I'm considering:
1. Canceling BF return after we arrive in YYZ and flying home as scheduled by myself
2. Rebooking reward tix to follow BF to NYC staying one night there then on to SFO
3. Rebooking reward tix to follow BF to NYC staying one night there and booking a paid ticket to ATL staying in ATL for several nights and a paid ticket to SFO *I would expense the NYC-ATL-SFO flights

I'm looking for the option that costs the least (in terms of dollars and loss of points).

Thank you in advance for your input.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 1:24 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by HotelFlyer
Would appreciate your advice on the best way to handle this: I'm Plat, booked two reward tix in 1st for SFO-CLT-YYZ return for this coming weekend. My BF is no longer returning with me (he had a biz trip come up in NYC and has booked his own way there and home to SFO from YYZ with another airline).

I'm considering:
1. Canceling BF return after we arrive in YYZ and flying home as scheduled by myself
2. Rebooking reward tix to follow BF to NYC staying one night there then on to SFO
3. Rebooking reward tix to follow BF to NYC staying one night there and booking a paid ticket to ATL staying in ATL for several nights and a paid ticket to SFO *I would expense the NYC-ATL-SFO flights

I'm looking for the option that costs the least (in terms of dollars and loss of points).

Thank you in advance for your input.
1. Cancelling your BF's ticket would cost you $150 if you wanted the miles reinstated.

2. You would need two awards for YYZ-NYC-(stop)-SFO. This would mean cancelling both awards and reinstating for $175, and then booking two awards for yourself, which would be at least 40K miles if everything is in F (assuming there is even F on YYZ-NYC) and you are not on a nonstop JFK-SFO.

3. Again, you would have to pay $175 to cancel and reinstate both your ticket your BF's. You would then book a YYZ-NYC award, which would be 7.5K/15K for Y/F, assuming MileSaaver availability.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:22 pm

Close-in booking fee on R/T AA Award changes

So AA allows you to change an award ticket for free so long as the origin and destination are the same correct? And they also charge $75 for booking/making changes 21 days or less before departure.

My question is -- if I have a r/t award, and I pay $75 to make changes to the outbound (with same o/d) a week before departure -- will I need to pay $75 again if I make last minute changes to the return? Or will they consider that I've already paid the $75 close-in fee for this reservation?

TIA
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by flagler1
So AA allows you to change an award ticket for free so long as the origin and destination are the same correct? And they also charge $75 for booking/making changes 21 days or less before departure.

My question is -- if I have a r/t award, and I pay $75 to make changes to the outbound (with same o/d) a week before departure -- will I need to pay $75 again if I make last minute changes to the return? Or will they consider that I've already paid the $75 close-in fee for this reservation?

TIA
AFAIK, its $75 for each change you make.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.