Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
I'd assumed I could use my gift cards to purchase upgrade certs is that not the case? I don't see a way to do online, maybe possible by phone?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
I'd assumed I could use my gift cards to purchase upgrade certs is that not the case? I don't see a way to do online, maybe possible by phone?
Read the T&Cs for the gift card (some may vary), but generally AA gift cards and only be used to pay for cash tickets; not taxes on award, not baggage charges, not upgrade certs, not for BOB purchases. AA's word of the day "Not"...
Old Dec 16, 2016, 7:22 am

Programs: AA PPro, HH Diamond
Standby + Upgrade

Platinum here - if I standby for an earlier flight, and I clear, can I then apply stickers for an upgrade on that standby flight if there is inventory available? Thinking about a 5am EWR-CLT tomorrow rather than the 615a to widen a connection window

Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Chad Estes
Platinum here - if I standby for an earlier flight, and I clear, can I then apply stickers for an upgrade on that standby flight if there is inventory available? Thinking about a 5am EWR-CLT tomorrow rather than the 615a to widen a connection window

Thanks!
Theoretically, it is possible, but upgrades are usually processed prior to standbys, so the only way you could do this is if there are still seats in F after you've cleared. If you do a SDFC ($75 for PLT assuming availability), you are confirmed on the flight and can request an upgrade.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Chad Estes

Thanks!
There are some GAs that believe elites going standby are not entitled to upgrades at all. They are wrong, but they are the gatekeepers we have to deal with. When I've asked to go standby, I politely ask to be upgraded too, especially if I've already been on my original flight. This has worked a majority of the time. If they are not able/willing to process the upgrade then I have to decide which is more important. Equipment, length of flight, and personal desire to fly earlier all play a role.

Good luck.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 11:30 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RogerD408
There are some GAs that believe elites going standby are not entitled to upgrades at all. They are wrong, but they are the gatekeepers we have to deal with. When I've asked to go standby, I politely ask to be upgraded too, especially if I've already been on my original flight. This has worked a majority of the time. If they are not able/willing to process the upgrade then I have to decide which is more important. Equipment, length of flight, and personal desire to fly earlier all play a role.

Good luck.
Agreed, usually what I do is when I clear standby, I'll ask the gate agent if they will add me to the upgrade list. If there is space, they will normally clear me on the spot.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by TraveltheWorld
I'm sure this has been asked before but a search didn't answer the specific questions.

I'm PLAT with 4 stickers.
My companion has no status but 12 stickers (hasn't flown recently)

If we travel together on the same PNR on a flight that requires more than 4 stickers will/can the extra stickers be pulled out of my companion's account?
Bumping because I have a similar situation and no one seems have answered. I am Gold and daughter has no status but 4 stickers in her account. We are on the same PNR.

If we need 10 for the upgrade and I have 8, will they pull 2 from her account if it clears? Or even better, can we use all 4 of hers and 6 of mine?

Will we be able to be put on the airport upgrade list? I'm guessing not, unless the system actually accounts for upgrades in both fliers accounts.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by mangoMan
Bumping because I have a similar situation and no one seems have answered. I am Gold and daughter has no status but 4 stickers in her account. We are on the same PNR.

If we need 10 for the upgrade and I have 8, will they pull 2 from her account if it clears? Or even better, can we use all 4 of hers and 6 of mine?

Will we be able to be put on the airport upgrade list? I'm guessing not, unless the system actually accounts for upgrades in both fliers accounts.
No. Unfortunately stickers in the account of fliers who have lost their status are useless unless and until they regain status.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by coolcoil
No. Unfortunately stickers in the account of fliers who have lost their status are useless unless and until they regain status.
Even as a companion upgrade? I've had upgrades with my PLT husband clear based on my EXP status and it seems to be luck of the agent as to whether they come from my or his account.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Even as a companion upgrade? I've had upgrades with my PLT husband clear based on my EXP status and it seems to be luck of the agent as to whether they come from my or his account.
Hope I get an agent willing to work with me if I'm even lucky enough to have the upgrade clear. Of course, I'll probably have to buy 2 just get on the airport list, but it sure would be nice to use up those 4 sitting in my daughter's account.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:10 pm

I'm a new EXP. After the AA site reflected the status change, I booked domestic flights for my wife (no status) and I in January. The wording in the upgrade request form, and on the "Your trip" page described the sticker cost "per person" as if they are treating both upgrade requests as sticker requests vs UDUs.

Is that normal?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:15 am

Your situation is different in that your husband is eligible to use stickers. I would imagine that when an agent does the upgrade, even based on your status, it is possible that they can formally treat it as a companion upgrade and take stickers from your account or give him the upgrade directly, taking stickers from his account.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bacampbe
I'm a new EXP. After the AA site reflected the status change, I booked domestic flights for my wife (no status) and I in January. The wording in the upgrade request form, and on the "Your trip" page described the sticker cost "per person" as if they are treating both upgrade requests as sticker requests vs UDUs.

Is that normal?
Yes, nothing to worry about. I believe technically they deposit 500-miles upgrades prior to your flight and then pull them. It makes the system more straightforward than dealing with the comps in the end.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by coolcoil
Your situation is different in that your husband is eligible to use stickers. I would imagine that when an agent does the upgrade, even based on your status, it is possible that they can formally treat it as a companion upgrade and take stickers from your account or give him the upgrade directly, taking stickers from his account.
Oh I guess that makes sense. I wonder if the system precludes taking stickers from a non-status customer in the same fashion or if it is up to the GA.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:18 pm

Oh I guess that makes sense. I wonder if the system precludes taking stickers from a non-status customer in the same fashion or if it is up to the GA.
Anything is possible, of course, but if AA left that hole open in their IT system it would provide lots of opportunities for shenanigans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.