Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Old Dec 15, 16, 10:59 am
  #631  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Santa Barbara, CA, Park City, UT
Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Posts: 486
I'd assumed I could use my gift cards to purchase upgrade certs is that not the case? I don't see a way to do online, maybe possible by phone?
Jonesdds is offline  
Old Dec 15, 16, 12:24 pm
  #632  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,329
Originally Posted by Jonesdds View Post
I'd assumed I could use my gift cards to purchase upgrade certs is that not the case? I don't see a way to do online, maybe possible by phone?
Read the T&Cs for the gift card (some may vary), but generally AA gift cards and only be used to pay for cash tickets; not taxes on award, not baggage charges, not upgrade certs, not for BOB purchases. AA's word of the day "Not"...
RogerD408 is offline  
Old Dec 16, 16, 8:22 am
  #633  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Statesville, NC
Programs: AA PPro, HH Diamond
Posts: 5
Standby + Upgrade

Platinum here - if I standby for an earlier flight, and I clear, can I then apply stickers for an upgrade on that standby flight if there is inventory available? Thinking about a 5am EWR-CLT tomorrow rather than the 615a to widen a connection window

Thanks!
QAflyer is offline  
Old Dec 16, 16, 8:29 am
  #634  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: DCA/IAD/WAS
Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Posts: 1,972
Originally Posted by Chad Estes View Post
Platinum here - if I standby for an earlier flight, and I clear, can I then apply stickers for an upgrade on that standby flight if there is inventory available? Thinking about a 5am EWR-CLT tomorrow rather than the 615a to widen a connection window

Thanks!
Theoretically, it is possible, but upgrades are usually processed prior to standbys, so the only way you could do this is if there are still seats in F after you've cleared. If you do a SDFC ($75 for PLT assuming availability), you are confirmed on the flight and can request an upgrade.
iadisgreat is offline  
Old Dec 16, 16, 12:53 pm
  #635  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,329
Originally Posted by Chad Estes View Post
Platinum here - if I standby for an earlier flight, and I clear, can I then apply stickers for an upgrade on that standby flight if there is inventory available? Thinking about a 5am EWR-CLT tomorrow rather than the 615a to widen a connection window

Thanks!
There are some GAs that believe elites going standby are not entitled to upgrades at all. They are wrong, but they are the gatekeepers we have to deal with. When I've asked to go standby, I politely ask to be upgraded too, especially if I've already been on my original flight. This has worked a majority of the time. If they are not able/willing to process the upgrade then I have to decide which is more important. Equipment, length of flight, and personal desire to fly earlier all play a role.

Good luck.
RogerD408 is offline  
Old Dec 17, 16, 12:30 pm
  #636  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,482
Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
There are some GAs that believe elites going standby are not entitled to upgrades at all. They are wrong, but they are the gatekeepers we have to deal with. When I've asked to go standby, I politely ask to be upgraded too, especially if I've already been on my original flight. This has worked a majority of the time. If they are not able/willing to process the upgrade then I have to decide which is more important. Equipment, length of flight, and personal desire to fly earlier all play a role.

Good luck.
Agreed, usually what I do is when I clear standby, I'll ask the gate agent if they will add me to the upgrade list. If there is space, they will normally clear me on the spot.
United747 is offline  
Old Dec 19, 16, 7:27 pm
  #637  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SFO or OAK
Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Posts: 1,163
Originally Posted by TraveltheWorld View Post
I'm sure this has been asked before but a search didn't answer the specific questions.

I'm PLAT with 4 stickers.
My companion has no status but 12 stickers (hasn't flown recently)

If we travel together on the same PNR on a flight that requires more than 4 stickers will/can the extra stickers be pulled out of my companion's account?
Bumping because I have a similar situation and no one seems have answered. I am Gold and daughter has no status but 4 stickers in her account. We are on the same PNR.

If we need 10 for the upgrade and I have 8, will they pull 2 from her account if it clears? Or even better, can we use all 4 of hers and 6 of mine?

Will we be able to be put on the airport upgrade list? I'm guessing not, unless the system actually accounts for upgrades in both fliers accounts.
mangoMan is offline  
Old Dec 19, 16, 8:03 pm
  #638  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MDE
Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Posts: 1,500
Originally Posted by mangoMan View Post
Bumping because I have a similar situation and no one seems have answered. I am Gold and daughter has no status but 4 stickers in her account. We are on the same PNR.

If we need 10 for the upgrade and I have 8, will they pull 2 from her account if it clears? Or even better, can we use all 4 of hers and 6 of mine?

Will we be able to be put on the airport upgrade list? I'm guessing not, unless the system actually accounts for upgrades in both fliers accounts.
No. Unfortunately stickers in the account of fliers who have lost their status are useless unless and until they regain status.
coolcoil is offline  
Old Dec 19, 16, 9:04 pm
  #639  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: DCA/IAD/WAS
Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Posts: 1,972
Originally Posted by coolcoil View Post
No. Unfortunately stickers in the account of fliers who have lost their status are useless unless and until they regain status.
Even as a companion upgrade? I've had upgrades with my PLT husband clear based on my EXP status and it seems to be luck of the agent as to whether they come from my or his account.
iadisgreat is offline  
Old Dec 19, 16, 10:03 pm
  #640  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SFO or OAK
Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Posts: 1,163
Originally Posted by iadisgreat View Post
Even as a companion upgrade? I've had upgrades with my PLT husband clear based on my EXP status and it seems to be luck of the agent as to whether they come from my or his account.
Hope I get an agent willing to work with me if I'm even lucky enough to have the upgrade clear. Of course, I'll probably have to buy 2 just get on the airport list, but it sure would be nice to use up those 4 sitting in my daughter's account.
mangoMan is offline  
Old Dec 19, 16, 11:10 pm
  #641  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 90
I'm a new EXP. After the AA site reflected the status change, I booked domestic flights for my wife (no status) and I in January. The wording in the upgrade request form, and on the "Your trip" page described the sticker cost "per person" as if they are treating both upgrade requests as sticker requests vs UDUs.

Is that normal?
bacampbe is offline  
Old Dec 20, 16, 4:15 am
  #642  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MDE
Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Posts: 1,500
Originally Posted by iadisgreat View Post
Even as a companion upgrade? I've had upgrades with my PLT husband clear based on my EXP status and it seems to be luck of the agent as to whether they come from my or his account.
Your situation is different in that your husband is eligible to use stickers. I would imagine that when an agent does the upgrade, even based on your status, it is possible that they can formally treat it as a companion upgrade and take stickers from your account or give him the upgrade directly, taking stickers from his account.
coolcoil is offline  
Old Dec 20, 16, 9:12 am
  #643  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,329
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
I'm a new EXP. After the AA site reflected the status change, I booked domestic flights for my wife (no status) and I in January. The wording in the upgrade request form, and on the "Your trip" page described the sticker cost "per person" as if they are treating both upgrade requests as sticker requests vs UDUs.

Is that normal?
Yes, nothing to worry about. I believe technically they deposit 500-miles upgrades prior to your flight and then pull them. It makes the system more straightforward than dealing with the comps in the end.
RogerD408 is offline  
Old Dec 20, 16, 5:25 pm
  #644  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: DCA/IAD/WAS
Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Posts: 1,972
Originally Posted by coolcoil View Post
Your situation is different in that your husband is eligible to use stickers. I would imagine that when an agent does the upgrade, even based on your status, it is possible that they can formally treat it as a companion upgrade and take stickers from your account or give him the upgrade directly, taking stickers from his account.
Oh I guess that makes sense. I wonder if the system precludes taking stickers from a non-status customer in the same fashion or if it is up to the GA.
iadisgreat is offline  
Old Dec 20, 16, 6:18 pm
  #645  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MDE
Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Posts: 1,500
Originally Posted by iadisgreat View Post
Oh I guess that makes sense. I wonder if the system precludes taking stickers from a non-status customer in the same fashion or if it is up to the GA.
Anything is possible, of course, but if AA left that hole open in their IT system it would provide lots of opportunities for shenanigans.
coolcoil is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: