Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
So I'm flying DEN-CLT with my my mother on seperate reservations. I had called in to the ex plat desk asking to add her to the upgrade list using my 500 mile stickers, which they did.

I cleared at ~T-100, but my mom did not. F is wide open (which I know means nothing). I called AA asking if she was on the list, and they confirmed she is on the list. I thought we would only get upgraded if we did so together (since doesn't she get my status until T-24?)
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1.5mm, *gold, AA - P, Marriot Titanium
Help me understand AA upgrades/strategy

I am a long-time UA flyer, mostly domestic short hops, occasional trans cons, once or twice a year to Europe. I have been hitting about 80K per year the last couple years. I've been a million miler on UA for several years so I have lifetime gold for the wife and me. Last year I flew more on AA to try it out, and decided to go for platinum in order to make a good comparison between the two carriers to compare aspects. I made Platinum in September, so now I am making my comparison. In general, I am not liking AA over UA, only see one advantage with AA so far, a minor one at that.

But I am just looking for advice as I am a bit confused with AA's upgrades. I am used to UA, where I automatically get put on the complimentary list on every flight, their communication is top notch so I know where I stand at all times. If I get upgraded, it is a pleasant surprise, I don't have to do anything. I have been on a few AA flights recently where first is basically empty, mainly on non-major hub routes. Why not gives these empty seats to elites? Some (mostly regional) flights have been complimentary upgrades. How do they determine what flights use the 500 mile upgrades versus complimentary?

So what strategy should I use for my pool of 500 mile upgrades? Is there any advantage to this system over UA's method? They are basically useless for Platinum flyers in and out of DFW. What do you guys do?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...false&from=Nav

Scroll down to "upgrades for elite members", and pay special attention to the third bullet, which answers the last question in your second paragraph.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 2:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Jeffw5555
I am a long-time UA flyer, mostly domestic short hops, occasional trans cons, once or twice a year to Europe. I have been hitting about 80K per year the last couple years. I've been a million miler on UA for several years so I have lifetime gold for the wife and me. Last year I flew more on AA to try it out, and decided to go for platinum in order to make a good comparison between the two carriers to compare aspects. I made Platinum in September, so now I am making my comparison. In general, I am not liking AA over UA, only see one advantage with AA so far, a minor one at that.

But I am just looking for advice as I am a bit confused with AA's upgrades. I am used to UA, where I automatically get put on the complimentary list on every flight, their communication is top notch so I know where I stand at all times. If I get upgraded, it is a pleasant surprise, I don't have to do anything. I have been on a few AA flights recently where first is basically empty, mainly on non-major hub routes. Why not gives these empty seats to elites? Some (mostly regional) flights have been complimentary upgrades. How do they determine what flights use the 500 mile upgrades versus complimentary?

So what strategy should I use for my pool of 500 mile upgrades? Is there any advantage to this system over UA's method? They are basically useless for Platinum flyers in and out of DFW. What do you guys do?
As you're asking about 500 mile upgrades and their application, as well as when they might be complimentary, we have merged your query into the existing thread. Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page. /Moderator

You may also wish to read http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...aster-thd.html

Next year there will be some changes with the coming of 75K Platinum Plus" status, and the eventual prioritization of upgrades within tiers based on EQD (spend).
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM Hilton Diamond Bon Voy Lifetime Platinum Elite
What happens if I check in before I purchase more 500 mile upgrades... I have them all now but will it affect upgrade chances.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by gboots
What happens if I check in before I purchase more 500 mile upgrades... I have them all now but will it affect upgrade chances.
You have to have them in your account to keep the upgrade request at check-in (or buy at check-in).

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...e-upgrades.jsp

You might as well wait to no longer than 3.5 hours before flight to check-in (to go on the gate upgrade list).

Rasheed
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt
As an AA EXP, do I get complimentary upgrades on a domestic AA award ticket within the USA?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:18 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by madguy2
As an AA EXP, do I get complimentary upgrades on a domestic AA award ticket within the USA?
Not until 2017, at the earliest unfortunately. Historically awards were never eligible for upgrades.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:44 pm
Suspended

What happens to my 50 x 500 mile stickers?

Hi,

I'm about to lose my platinum status for no status come 01/17. I have 50 x 500 mile stickers unused.

What happens to them if I lose my status? I take it I can't use them to upgrade if I don't have status so do they just sit there until I regain my status?

Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by inpd
Hi,

I'm about to lose my platinum status for no status come 01/17. I have 50 x 500 mile stickers unused.

What happens to them if I lose my status? I take it I can't use them to upgrade if I don't have status so do they just sit there until I regain my status?

Thanks!
Nothing happens, the do not expire.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by inpd
do they just sit there until I regain my status?

Yup!
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PltPro, AMEX Platinum
How do you go from PLT to nothing? You should be gold next year if you didn't quality and you can use your stickers like usual.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA,BA
Originally Posted by wireless_999
How do you go from PLT to nothing? You should be gold next year...

If you don't fly enough or just not fly at all, you will go down to nothing.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by wireless_999
How do you go from PLT to nothing? You should be gold next year if you didn't quality and you can use your stickers like usual.
I'm afraid that policy ended in 2013 (for the 2014 status year).
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA (ExecPlat, >2MM), United (Gold, >1 MM), HH (Diamond), SPG (Gold), Accorhotels (Gold)
Originally Posted by _kurt
I'm afraid that policy ended in 2013 (for the 2014 status year).
Right. It has been a while since you were let down slowly. Now it is "what have you done for me lately?" The AA FF program has certainly gone that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.