Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Old Oct 15, 16, 4:06 pm
  #571  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: DTW/MBS/AZO
Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 3,082
So I'm flying DEN-CLT with my my mother on seperate reservations. I had called in to the ex plat desk asking to add her to the upgrade list using my 500 mile stickers, which they did.

I cleared at ~T-100, but my mom did not. F is wide open (which I know means nothing). I called AA asking if she was on the list, and they confirmed she is on the list. I thought we would only get upgraded if we did so together (since doesn't she get my status until T-24?)
BThumme is offline  
Old Oct 17, 16, 2:35 pm
  #572  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tampa, FL
Programs: UA 1.5mm, *gold, AA - P, Marriot Platinum
Posts: 65
Help me understand AA upgrades/strategy

I am a long-time UA flyer, mostly domestic short hops, occasional trans cons, once or twice a year to Europe. I have been hitting about 80K per year the last couple years. I've been a million miler on UA for several years so I have lifetime gold for the wife and me. Last year I flew more on AA to try it out, and decided to go for platinum in order to make a good comparison between the two carriers to compare aspects. I made Platinum in September, so now I am making my comparison. In general, I am not liking AA over UA, only see one advantage with AA so far, a minor one at that.

But I am just looking for advice as I am a bit confused with AA's upgrades. I am used to UA, where I automatically get put on the complimentary list on every flight, their communication is top notch so I know where I stand at all times. If I get upgraded, it is a pleasant surprise, I don't have to do anything. I have been on a few AA flights recently where first is basically empty, mainly on non-major hub routes. Why not gives these empty seats to elites? Some (mostly regional) flights have been complimentary upgrades. How do they determine what flights use the 500 mile upgrades versus complimentary?

So what strategy should I use for my pool of 500 mile upgrades? Is there any advantage to this system over UA's method? They are basically useless for Platinum flyers in and out of DFW. What do you guys do?
Jeffw5555 is offline  
Old Oct 17, 16, 2:43 pm
  #573  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DCA
Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Posts: 886
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...false&from=Nav

Scroll down to "upgrades for elite members", and pay special attention to the third bullet, which answers the last question in your second paragraph.
discoverCSG is offline  
Old Oct 17, 16, 3:40 pm
  #574  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,737
Originally Posted by Jeffw5555 View Post
I am a long-time UA flyer, mostly domestic short hops, occasional trans cons, once or twice a year to Europe. I have been hitting about 80K per year the last couple years. I've been a million miler on UA for several years so I have lifetime gold for the wife and me. Last year I flew more on AA to try it out, and decided to go for platinum in order to make a good comparison between the two carriers to compare aspects. I made Platinum in September, so now I am making my comparison. In general, I am not liking AA over UA, only see one advantage with AA so far, a minor one at that.

But I am just looking for advice as I am a bit confused with AA's upgrades. I am used to UA, where I automatically get put on the complimentary list on every flight, their communication is top notch so I know where I stand at all times. If I get upgraded, it is a pleasant surprise, I don't have to do anything. I have been on a few AA flights recently where first is basically empty, mainly on non-major hub routes. Why not gives these empty seats to elites? Some (mostly regional) flights have been complimentary upgrades. How do they determine what flights use the 500 mile upgrades versus complimentary?

So what strategy should I use for my pool of 500 mile upgrades? Is there any advantage to this system over UA's method? They are basically useless for Platinum flyers in and out of DFW. What do you guys do?
As you're asking about 500 mile upgrades and their application, as well as when they might be complimentary, we have merged your query into the existing thread. Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page. /Moderator

You may also wish to read http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...aster-thd.html

Next year there will be some changes with the coming of 75K Platinum Plus" status, and the eventual prioritization of upgrades within tiers based on EQD (spend).
JDiver is offline  
Old Oct 18, 16, 10:23 am
  #575  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: UIN
Programs: AA EXP 2MM Hilton Diamond Bon Voy Lifetime Platinum Elite
Posts: 58
What happens if I check in before I purchase more 500 mile upgrades... I have them all now but will it affect upgrade chances.
gboots is offline  
Old Oct 18, 16, 12:28 pm
  #576  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southern California
Programs: AA PLT, WN A List, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz 5*
Posts: 2,250
Originally Posted by gboots View Post
What happens if I check in before I purchase more 500 mile upgrades... I have them all now but will it affect upgrade chances.
You have to have them in your account to keep the upgrade request at check-in (or buy at check-in).

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...e-upgrades.jsp

You might as well wait to no longer than 3.5 hours before flight to check-in (to go on the gate upgrade list).

Rasheed
rasheed is offline  
Old Oct 23, 16, 4:31 am
  #577  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt
Posts: 140
As an AA EXP, do I get complimentary upgrades on a domestic AA award ticket within the USA?
madguy2 is offline  
Old Oct 23, 16, 6:18 am
  #578  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Posts: 1,314
Originally Posted by madguy2 View Post
As an AA EXP, do I get complimentary upgrades on a domestic AA award ticket within the USA?
Not until 2017, at the earliest unfortunately. Historically awards were never eligible for upgrades.
no2chem is offline  
Old Oct 24, 16, 9:44 pm
  #579  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,273
What happens to my 50 x 500 mile stickers?

Hi,

I'm about to lose my platinum status for no status come 01/17. I have 50 x 500 mile stickers unused.

What happens to them if I lose my status? I take it I can't use them to upgrade if I don't have status so do they just sit there until I regain my status?


Thanks!
inpd is offline  
Old Oct 24, 16, 9:53 pm
  #580  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Park, Metropolis
Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Posts: 4,255
Originally Posted by inpd View Post
Hi,

I'm about to lose my platinum status for no status come 01/17. I have 50 x 500 mile stickers unused.

What happens to them if I lose my status? I take it I can't use them to upgrade if I don't have status so do they just sit there until I regain my status?


Thanks!
Nothing happens, the do not expire.
arollins is offline  
Old Oct 24, 16, 9:54 pm
  #581  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 64
Originally Posted by inpd View Post
do they just sit there until I regain my status?

Yup!
Yarons is offline  
Old Oct 24, 16, 9:54 pm
  #582  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New York, NY
Programs: AAdvantage PltPro, AMEX Platinum
Posts: 239
How do you go from PLT to nothing? You should be gold next year if you didn't quality and you can use your stickers like usual.
wireless_999 is offline  
Old Oct 24, 16, 10:02 pm
  #583  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: BDL,LIM
Programs: AA
Posts: 337
Originally Posted by wireless_999 View Post
How do you go from PLT to nothing? You should be gold next year...

If you don't fly enough or just not fly at all, you will go down to nothing.
IncaTrails is offline  
Old Oct 24, 16, 10:13 pm
  #584  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,011
Originally Posted by wireless_999 View Post
How do you go from PLT to nothing? You should be gold next year if you didn't quality and you can use your stickers like usual.
I'm afraid that policy ended in 2013 (for the 2014 status year).
_kurt is offline  
Old Oct 24, 16, 10:58 pm
  #585  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DFW Texas
Programs: AA (ExecPlat, >2MM), United (Gold, >1 MM), HH (Diamond), SPG (Gold), Accorhotels (Gold)
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by _kurt View Post
I'm afraid that policy ended in 2013 (for the 2014 status year).
Right. It has been a while since you were let down slowly. Now it is "what have you done for me lately?" The AA FF program has certainly gone that way.
PolarRoute is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: