Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2016, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by PhreakwentFlyer
AA has NOT fixed their site. Although 1005 miles are shown as the mileage between ORD and MCO when booking a flight, once booked, and when viewing a record (under the upgrade section), it does in fact still say they will take three 500-mile upgrades for a 994 mile flight. After over an hour on the phone with now six different people at AA (from reservations, to AAdvantage CS to AA.com), no one can explain it and they clearly have no interest in fixing it either.
I ran into that same issue a couple of weeks ago. Sent email to Contact Us Customer Service AAdvantage, got reply back that clearly indicated they hadn't read my issue very well. Responded back with a screenshot of the 994 miles / 3 upgrades and pointed out the "airline math". They restored 1 upgrade back to my account. Keep fighting the good fight, take screenshots and have a paper trail.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:21 pm

500 mile upgrade question

I used to fly AA a lot but no longer have status. I have 20 in my “500 mile upgrade balance” and after several rounds of drudging through their site and the “sticker” thread here and still am not clear whether/how they’re useful on an upcoming flight. I’ve booked two AA AAnytime reward flights from MCI-CUN. Can I use these upgrades and if so what will it achieve/how do I do it?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by altogardener
I used to fly AA a lot but no longer have status. I have 20 in my “500 mile upgrade balance” and after several rounds of drudging through their site and the “sticker” thread here and still am not clear whether/how they’re useful on an upcoming flight. I’ve booked two AA AAnytime reward flights from MCI-CUN. Can I use these upgrades and if so what will it achieve/how do I do it?
You can't use them without status and you can't use them on award flights anyway.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by MADPhil
You can't use them without status ...
Is that correct ? I thought the e500s could be used by non-status pax on a full fare, but cleared after elites (which means that there is zero chance of one ever clearing).
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Is that correct ? I thought the e500s could be used by non-status pax on a full fare, but cleared after elites (which means that there is zero chance of one ever clearing).
That was taken away a while back.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
See the wiki here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...questions.html
NOTE: some protocols changed for 2015
500 mile upgrades can be used by those without status only to upgrade Y (and B, where such exist and are Main Cabin - Economy fares) full economy fares
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:20 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with our existing Q&A and resource thread pertaining to 500-mile upgrades. Thanks. /Moderator
Old Dec 14, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: AA PLT
Upgrade on 2nd leg of direct flight

Is it possible for an upgrade to clear on just one leg of a direct flight? Or do both legs need to be available? Less than a week out at this point...

AA 1597 SNA-PHX 6 in F so very unlikely
AA 1597 PHX-BWI 15 in F

Thanks!

Last edited by MauiOC; Dec 14, 2016 at 8:21 am Reason: Moved to existing thread
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by MauiOC
Surprised this never came up before in my travels. Is it possible for an upgrade to clear on just one leg of a direct flight? Or do both legs need to be available? Less than a week out at this point...

AA 1597 PHX-BWI 15 in F
This query about 500 mile upgrades will be merged into the existing master thread on the topic.

~Moderator
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MauiOC
Is it possible for an upgrade to clear on just one leg of a direct flight? Or do both legs need to be available? Less than a week out at this point...

AA 1597 PHX-BWI 15 in F

Thanks!
Very unlikely one will clear and not the other. Also, usually the same seat must be available on both segments for the upgrade to clear. I've read reports of people being able to split the rez to get one to clear before the other, but requires an agent that knows what they are doing and willing to do so (also very unlikely).
Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM (Lifetime Gold); Marriott Gold; National Exec Emerald's
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Very unlikely one will clear and not the other. Also, usually the same seat must be available on both segments for the upgrade to clear. I've read reports of people being able to split the rez to get one to clear before the other, but requires an agent that knows what they are doing and willing to do so (also very unlikely).
Agree - I've had it done for me but an agent had to intervene
Old Dec 14, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by LMB01
Agree - I've had it done for me but an agent had to intervene
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Thanks for the insight. I called the elite desk and the agent said there wouldn't be an issue "separating" the upgrade availability and I could very well clear ahead of time for one of the legs? I don't really care about the SNA-PHX obviously. The PHX-BWI F availability is wide open (15 seats) less than 6 days out. Surprising as I've never seen so many open F seats on that flight. So, it seems likely that there will be upgrade availability?

Just not sure if I should play the odds or confirm with miles and call it good. Thanks again for the help...

Last edited by MauiOC; Dec 14, 2016 at 4:29 pm
Old Dec 14, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I booked a flight for my wife and I on same PNR. She was Platinum when booked, and is now EXP. I requested upgrades for her at time of booking. Reservation still shows the number of stickers that will be required. I called and agent re-entered her number but reservation display didn't changed. Agent says reservation shows her as EXP.

Should I assume this is a web site glitch or should I call again?
Old Dec 14, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by Stripe
I booked a flight for my wife and I on same PNR. She was Platinum when booked, and is now EXP. I requested upgrades for her at time of booking. Reservation still shows the number of stickers that will be required. I called and agent re-entered her number but reservation display didn't changed. Agent says reservation shows her as EXP.

Have you given it a little time? I just made EXP in the middle of a trip. The reservation for the next leg showed 2 stickers needed for a day after I was officially made EXP and then showed complimentary the day after that.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Stripe

The agents do not see what is on the web site. That is updated throughout the day and may take a while to propagate out. What the agent sees will take precedence and I wouldn't worry unless you are trying to make a change online the requires her EXP status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.