Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by muji
Thank you JJeffrey for the help.

Selecting "partner airlines' from the search helped, eliminating BA results.

I could not find anything saying "Advanced Search"; but I did notice this: "Try our new award booking search". Choosing that, I ended up getting pretty much the same award options, but BA was now included.

Through the regular (non-advanced) search, I found only a few that would be good options:
EWR - CLT - MUC
LGA - PHL - ZRH
LGA - PHL - LHR

These options which came up would be too lengthy:
EWR - CLT - PHL - ZRH
EWR - CLT - PHL - AMS
EWR - ORD - PHL - AMS
EWR - ORD - DFW- FRA
EWR - CLT - DFW- FRA
LGA - STL - DFW- FRA
JFK - AUS - DFW- FRA

I appreciate your help.
In the end, I did not find as many good options as you did.
If you can, please send me any other tips you may have.
Yea, the "new" search at aa.com is complete crap. You were using the advanced (old) search as I suggested.

You found pretty much what I was able to find, a lot depends on exactly what date(s) you were looking at. One thing to keep in mind is that AA only serves FRA & MUC from DFW & CLT. So if say CLT-FRA is not available on any of your dates but DFW is, that is why you're seeing the backtracking to DFW and 2+ connections.

That said, the options you did find look pretty good. Looking for sAAver business space on AA metal to central Europe, they won't really get to look any better than that, so I would grab something while it's available. Or at least put it on hold (free for 5 days) while you finalize plans or check other options.
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, DL, etc
Thanks guv1976!
Old Sep 2, 2019, 10:29 pm

Please forgive the newbie question here. It's similar to Muji's above, but a little different. - I'm trying to get 2 business class tickets for June 2020 from SFO to [any European airport convenient to FRA - Paris, Brussels, Munich, etc]. We have a lot of flexibility on dates, and our ability to make a short domestic hop in coach in order to get business class across the Atlantic. We have about 200k AA miles (and 200k on AS, and an additional 84k on UA), but no status. Can anyone give me some tips on how to best search a wide variety of options? The straightforward SFO-FRA flights are not available. Thank you.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jus10g
Please forgive the newbie question here. It's similar to Muji's above, but a little different. - I'm trying to get 2 business class tickets for June 2020 from SFO to [any European airport convenient to FRA - Paris, Brussels, Munich, etc]. We have a lot of flexibility on dates, and our ability to make a short domestic hop in coach in order to get business class across the Atlantic. We have about 200k AA miles (and 200k on AS, and an additional 84k on UA), but no status. Can anyone give me some tips on how to best search a wide variety of options? The straightforward SFO-FRA flights are not available. Thank you.
Many people want business class awards USA - Eu/UK in peak season.
Wanting 2 award seats on the same flight makes it harder.

AS & AA have many common ff partners.
Good luck with the hunt ^
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 2, 2019 at 10:41 pm
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jus10g
Definitely check those threads. The SAAver Help Desk thread has a helpful Wikipost at the top of the page, and it opens other possibilities, e.g. Air Tahiti Nui LAX-CDG.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:41 am

I had an award flight the other week, MCO-JFK-HND in F (80k miles x2 people). The first leg ended up getting cancelled and I rebooked in J since that was the only thing available. Anyways miles posted which pushed me to Platinum Pro.

If I call to get refunded the 40k miles due to the F to J change, do you think they'll also see the MQD and MQM posting and remove it? I'm debating whether Plat Pro would be worth 40k miles or not. But if someone can say they will just refund the miles and not even look at any potential earnings I'll just go ahead and call.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Flying with AA London-Miami-Medellin in November and also in February Casablanca-Dallas-Honolulu. in both caes the transit time is 2 hours. is it enough to go via immigration and check in my luggage again or too ris k y? Shall i go HBO?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
I had an award flight the other week, MCO-JFK-HND in F (80k miles x2 people). The first leg ended up getting cancelled and I rebooked in J since that was the only thing available. Anyways miles posted which pushed me to Platinum Pro.

If I call to get refunded the 40k miles due to the F to J change, do you think they'll also see the MQD and MQM posting and remove it? I'm debating whether Plat Pro would be worth 40k miles or not. But if someone can say they will just refund the miles and not even look at any potential earnings I'll just go ahead and call.
No one here will be able to say definitively, completely YMMV depending on the agent and whatever processes AA has in place for this type thing.

That said, when you pull up your account, is this listed as 2 separate items, i.e. one for the award (-80k miles) and a completely separate entry for the flights (+ whatever miles earned)?

If it's separate, I'd be inclined to think that the mileage posting would stay regardless. An agent is not likely to start poking around and changing things that are somewhat separate from the issue/item you're calling about. Without a lot of research they would have no idea why that flight (erroneously) posted the way it did. For all they know the award flight could have been for someone else with you buying a paid ticket on the same flight, etc.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No one here will be able to say definitively, completely YMMV depending on the agent and whatever processes AA has in place for this type thing.

That said, when you pull up your account, is this listed as 2 separate items, i.e. one for the award (-80k miles) and a completely separate entry for the flights (+ whatever miles earned)?

If it's separate, I'd be inclined to think that the mileage posting would stay regardless. An agent is not likely to start poking around and changing things that are somewhat separate from the issue/item you're calling about. Without a lot of research they would have no idea why that flight (erroneously) posted the way it did. For all they know the award flight could have been for someone else with you buying a paid ticket on the same flight, etc.
Thats a good point, they’re separate postings but I was thinking they might look at the flight to see that I did indeed fly J instead of F. I think I might give it a shot and see what happens, I’m thinking the 40k miles will get me further than the status.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ermis177
Flying with AA London-Miami-Medellin in November and also in February Casablanca-Dallas-Honolulu. in both caes the transit time is 2 hours. is it enough to go via immigration and check in my luggage again or too ris k y? Shall i go HBO?
As I understand it, the I-I process is somewhat expedited at those airports for some origins -- I would assume London qualifies but not Casablanca. And the answers probably also depend on whether you have Global Entry and what class you're flying in.

Best to check the relevant fora:

AA Guide: MIA / Miami International Airport, MCT / Connection, etc.

AA Guide: DFW / Dallas - Fort Worth International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

ermis177 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer

I ended up calling and they were only able to redeposit 17,251 miles per person because I flew domestic F to ORD, I kept saying domestic F would be included in a standard J award ticket but eventually gave up on pressing the issue. They did give an extra 2,500 goodwill bonus too so it was only an overall 3k mile difference not including the 7k miles I had gotten in error from the rebooked portion.
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I'm so confused about seat choices

We almost never fly AA anymore (usually AS), but we had some old miles we've used for an upcoming F flight.

We just had a schedule change and now the new flight has me so confused...it is the one where there are basically 2 first class sections...(it is AA 1297 LAX/MIA, aircraft is 772). We are traveling as a couple, so got 2 seats in the center section. However, I just saw some pictures and am I correct that these seats are "separated " from each other? sort of a wall in between?

We like to play cards, talk, rest on each other's shoulders...will we be isolated from each other?

Also, since there are 2 of these sections, is there a dedicated FA for each one?

I'm now wondering if I should have selected a different flight that has the seats right next to each other (which aircraft type would that be?). Or would it be too late to switch since I already accepted this schedule change? Any advice?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
We almost never fly AA anymore (usually AS), but we had some old miles we've used for an upcoming F flight.

We just had a schedule change and now the new flight has me so confused...it is the one where there are basically 2 first class sections...(it is AA 1297 LAX/MIA, aircraft is 772). We are traveling as a couple, so got 2 seats in the center section. However, I just saw some pictures and am I correct that these seats are "separated " from each other? sort of a wall in between?

We like to play cards, talk, rest on each other's shoulders...will we be isolated from each other?

Also, since there are 2 of these sections, is there a dedicated FA for each one?

I'm now wondering if I should have selected a different flight that has the seats right next to each other (which aircraft type would that be?). Or would it be too late to switch since I already accepted this schedule change? Any advice?
you won’t be able to lean on each other shoulders but it’s internatinally configured business class seat. You can still see each other in some of the seats in the middle section but you won’t be close as if you would fly on 737 or 321
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie

If it's the 1-2-1 section then it's the international business layout, super comfortable, but not great if you're trying to interact with whoever is next to you. Just lookup AA 772 business on google and you'll see what it looks like.

If it's the 2-4-2 section then it's the international premium economy section which is made up of what are first class seats on the narrow body airplanes and what you're used to on AS in F.

I'd just try to move to the premium economy section which is likely sold as business class on domestic routes.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Actually it looks kind of cool. And since we 99% fly Alaska we might never get the opportunity to try it out. I think we'll just keep what we have.

But what about my question about how many FA's are in F on those flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.