Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: Diamond: HH & BW. PlatElite: IHG. Exp: Hyatt. Gold: UA & Bonvoy
I have searched...If I book a RT flight to depart on the day my status expires, on my return flight home a few days later I would not receive the status benefits, correct?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Bacardi 151
I have searched...If I book a RT flight to depart on the day my status expires, on my return flight home a few days later I would not receive the status benefits, correct?
The status you have when you book a reservation normally sticks to that reservation even if your status later changes. But something could happen to disrupt that, so I wouldn't consider it a sure thing.
JMBResona likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Bacardi 151
I'd go to the airport expecting that would happen. That being said, there is a chance you may still receive some of the benefits.

This is from a small sample size of just one experience, but I booked a one way flight on the day after my status challenge expired. I had flown enough flights during the challenge, but the last of them hadn't posted yet when I arrived at the airport. So the app was telling me that I was a "General Member."

I had checked luggage with me, so I lined up at the non-priority queue and mentioned to the agent that I had higher status when I booked the ticket (AA policy is to apply the baggage rule @booking if the status was higher).
The agent "looked into it," and I was soon handed a boarding pass that said I was Executive Platinum.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 8:42 am

Flight booked.

Last edited by oyouno; Sep 14, 2019 at 6:04 pm
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by oyouno
Newb Question time.

Trying to figure out how to redeem my miles the best way to get the most out of them.. Was hoping a 65K business flight would be possible but looks like I am screwed currently.
SAV to FRA Oct 11th or 12th 1 way.
AA showing 30k ECON but for travel time in the 25-35hours range which is a complete joke.
Meanwhile, for 65K (ECON still ) I could get a much shorter travel time around 15-17hours....
I tried checking to see if I could fly to CLT and then CLT to FRA (which had much shorter travel time) but nope... still same price .
They also have a bus class for 57.5k but going through BA and 650ish FEES....and connecting to another airport as well inbetween connections..

I have Plat trail status for a few more weeks so I would at least get a Econ + seat without having to pay upgrade fee but that 25-32hr travel time and 3-4 connections is just ridiculous!! Seriously!
A few options:

CLT-FRA by itself is available for 30k on Oct. 11. Can you drive up, rent a car, etc.? Or look at just buying a separate SAV-CLT ticket.

SAV-CLT-MUC is available at 30k on Oct. 11th & 12th. Great timings, 13 hrs travel time.

If you want business, I see SAV-PHL-ZRH for 57.5k on Oct. 11. Again great timings, 12 hrs travel time. Economy is also available at 30k.
oyouno likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
A few options:

CLT-FRA by itself is available for 30k on Oct. 11. Can you drive up, rent a car, etc.? Or look at just buying a separate SAV-CLT ticket.

SAV-CLT-MUC is available at 30k on Oct. 11th & 12th. Great timings, 13 hrs travel time.

If you want business, I see SAV-PHL-ZRH for 57.5k on Oct. 11. Again great timings, 12 hrs travel time. Economy is also available at 30k.
Thanks for the info!

Oh the Clt - FRA at 30k miles are all 30+hrs travel time..

So far I could buy a 1 way ticket for 400 dollars on AA SAV to CLT .
then use the 30K miles for the 8.5 hr travel time CLT to FRA on Oct 12th.

I kept checking...

Look at this.

SAV to CLT is 7.5K AA miles
Then CLT direct to FRA 8.5hr is 30K !
So 37.5k vs 65K econ anytime award!
Crazy!!

I ended up booking the 2 separate award flights above which ended up costing 37.5k 1 way vs the 65K that AA wanted AND almost DOUBLE the travel time needed with that 65k option.
So ridiculous. All these hoops and games you have to go through trying to use AA miles (or any flyer miles really)

Last edited by oyouno; Sep 14, 2019 at 6:06 pm
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Hello all - United 1K member here, but was recently gifted Platinum Pro with AA.

I have 12 SWU's, and wanted to upgrade my brother for his flight (i'm not flying with him). I saw on a TPG article that you can apply SWU's regardless of whether you're flying with them, but the article was dated 2013.

I called in to the PP line and was told by a representative that I can only apply if I'm travelling with them. Is this the policy, and has does anybody have insight into whether I could upgrade my brother? Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teeceedee
Hello all - United 1K member here, but was recently gifted Platinum Pro with AA.

I have 12 SWU's, and wanted to upgrade my brother for his flight (i'm not flying with him). I saw on a TPG article that you can apply SWU's regardless of whether you're flying with them, but the article was dated 2013.

I called in to the PP line and was told by a representative that I can only apply if I'm travelling with them. Is this the policy, and has does anybody have insight into whether I could upgrade my brother? Thanks!
Ugh, no, the agent was very incorrect. It's no problem to use one of your SWU's for someone else that you're not travelling with. Just HUCA.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Ugh, no, the agent was very incorrect. It's no problem to use one of your SWU's for someone else that you're not travelling with. Just HUCA.
Thanks for the quick response - apparently I need to learn more about AA. I was trying to apply 500-mile upgrades, not SWU's. Had no idea they were different - was just denied again. Oh well, he can fly economy
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teeceedee
Thanks for the quick response - apparently I need to learn more about AA. I was trying to apply 500-mile upgrades, not SWU's. Had no idea they were different - was just denied again. Oh well, he can fly economy
Ah, yes, to use 500 mi upgrades for a companion then you definitely need to be flying with them. SWU's not so much.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Does AA ever pony up any miles from luggage they lose for a day?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:05 pm

Was offered platinum status challenge if registered by sept 30th. It says enjoy for 3 months after I register. I am not completely sure about this language. Does that mean if I accept it today, the status will go until December 13th, or only until end of november.
Underneath it then says : Elevate your AAdvantage® status through January 31, 2021, by earning the required Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) and either the required Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) or Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) between the date you register and the date 3 months after you register:.

I just want to be sure to maximize my dates to get the status. Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shadowlines
Was offered platinum status challenge if registered by sept 30th. It says enjoy for 3 months after I register. I am not completely sure about this language. Does that mean if I accept it today, the status will go until December 13th, or only until end of november.
Underneath it then says : Elevate your AAdvantage® status through January 31, 2021, by earning the required Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) and either the required Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) or Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) between the date you register and the date 3 months after you register:.

Maybe I'm missing something but the terms on this one seem pretty clear. If you register today, Sep 14, then your trial status is good for 3 months from today (Dec 14) and you have the same 3 months (to Dec 14) to complete the requirements to extend it through 2021. Not sure where you're getting the end of Novenber from.

In any event, unless you have flights planned between now and the end of September, it seems the best way to maximize the timing is to wait until just before the Sep 30 deadline to register. I'd probably register on the 29th just to be safe.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by shadowlines

It is straight forward.. 3 Months from register date. I did this and was also given 20 x 500 mile upgrades added to my account as well. It is pretty awesome. I made it a point to get the maximum benefit out of Plat Status and Loved it. Mine ends in 2 weeks though.

Okay. SO i double checked my status..
For me. it was "register by June 25th,2019" and get 3 months.. I registered on June 4th and my Status still ends on Sept 25th (3 months from the last day to register June 25th) I actually received June 4th my Plat status upgrade through Sept 25th.

Last edited by oyouno; Sep 14, 2019 at 6:32 pm
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:03 am

Recent Plat Pro Status

I just completed the challenge offered by AA and get to keep platinum pro through Jan. 2021. Thanks to this site, it was a little easier to plan for the challenge and thanks to all that post here. Is there any way to upgrade on an award travel with status? Conflicting articles out there on this.

Also, do I get the SWUs some people have talked about? Or is that only ExP? Lastly, what’s the best way to see if an upgrade is available when booking? Thanks!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.