Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Mihiker
Hi! I’m planning to use AA miles to book one way tickets for 3 in economy from BCN to LHR next July. I have the booking on hold but haven’t purchased.

Does anyone know what economy level this will be on BA? Trying to figure out all the extras I could be charged. I know seats would be extra, any idea on checked bags? It shows fare code X on the AA site.

Thank you!!
You should get one free checked bag per passenger on such a redemption. But if you have -- or can get -- some BA Avios, that would provide better value: just 6,500 or 7,500 Avios + 17.5 GBP per passenger, instead of 12,500 AA miles plus whatever fees AA collects on such a redemption.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Sorry if already answered. Sitting on my phone and tough to search.

I put ticket on 24 hold today. If I purchase it tomorrow, do I still have 24 hours to cancel it? Or did I burn the 24 hours with the hold?

TIA
Old Sep 22, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SJWarrior
Sorry if already answered. Sitting on my phone and tough to search.

I put ticket on 24 hold today. If I purchase it tomorrow, do I still have 24 hours to cancel it? Or did I burn the 24 hours with the hold?

TIA
You still have 24 hours to cancel after ticketing, as long as it’s more than 2 days before your departure. I’ve been able to cancel within 24 hours of ticketing, even when it was within 2 days of departure, but I believe the AA rule is 2 days.
SJWarrior likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
You should get one free checked bag per passenger on such a redemption. But if you have -- or can get -- some BA Avios, that would provide better value: just 6,500 or 7,500 Avios + 17.5 GBP per passenger, instead of 12,500 AA miles plus whatever fees AA collects on such a redemption.
Thank you!! The reason I was going to use AA miles is that I don’t have much use for them. I value URs and MRs much higher than AA miles. The taxes fees worked out to around $20 USD/ticket using AA as well.

Thank you for the info on the checked bag, that helps greatly!!
Old Sep 22, 2019, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
You still have 24 hours to cancel after ticketing, as long as it’s more than 2 days before your departure. I’ve been able to cancel within 24 hours of ticketing, even when it was within 2 days of departure, but I believe the AA rule is 2 days.
Thanks, that basically gives me two days to change my mind.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:32 pm

Upgrade for companion?

As platinum pro, I thought one companion traveling with you can be upgraded as well? I held a flight for 24 hrs and received an email saying AA was unable to auto request an upgrade (as it usually does). How do I put myself in best position to get an upgrade for us both?
Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Deacon61
As platinum pro, I thought one companion traveling with you can be upgraded as well? I held a flight for 24 hrs and received an email saying AA was unable to auto request an upgrade (as it usually does). How do I put myself in best position to get an upgrade for us both?
You have to have enough 500 mile stickers to be able to upgrade your companion. If you don’t have any you can purchase it and request an upgrade for both of you using AA app it aa.com
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:36 pm

Hello,

I have a query regarding AAdvantage elite status, and the likely expiry date of the status. I have read several articles and posts related to qualification periods v membership periods, but unfortunately cannot find the exact answer I am looking for (and indeed different sources unfortunately seem to contradict each other).

In the event I meet the requirements in January 2020, does anyone know if the status should last until January 31,2021 or if instead it should last until January 31,2022?

The source of my confusion is that some sources seem to indicate that it should last for the year you qualify, the following year + January from the next year after that (i.e. until January 31,2022). However a strict reading of the qualification and membership period of the AA website suggests that the benefits would last only until January 31, 2021 since they last from qualification "through the end of the next membership year" (since the membership year I would be in ends on January 31, 2020, it seems the 'next' membership year would end on January 31, 2021).

It is clear to me that if I met the requirements in December 2019 the status would last until January 31, 2021, and that if I met the requirements in February 2020 the status would last until January 31,2022. However the 'inbetween' position of qualifying in January seems a little grey.

I appreciate this is an unusual situation (since it is probably very rare to do enough travel to qualify in just one month!) but just wanted to ask if anyone has any experience/ view on this?

Thank you so much!
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by fc0175
Hello,

I have a query regarding AAdvantage elite status, and the likely expiry date of the status. I have read several articles and posts related to qualification periods v membership periods, but unfortunately cannot find the exact answer I am looking for (and indeed different sources unfortunately seem to contradict each other).

In the event I meet the requirements in January 2020, does anyone know if the status should last until January 31,2021 or if instead it should last until January 31,2022?

The source of my confusion is that some sources seem to indicate that it should last for the year you qualify, the following year + January from the next year after that (i.e. until January 31,2022). However a strict reading of the qualification and membership period of the AA website suggests that the benefits would last only until January 31, 2021 since they last from qualification "through the end of the next membership year" (since the membership year I would be in ends on January 31, 2020, it seems the 'next' membership year would end on January 31, 2021).

It is clear to me that if I met the requirements in December 2019 the status would last until January 31, 2021, and that if I met the requirements in February 2020 the status would last until January 31,2022. However the 'inbetween' position of qualifying in January seems a little grey.

I appreciate this is an unusual situation (since it is probably very rare to do enough travel to qualify in just one month!) but just wanted to ask if anyone has any experience/ view on this?

Thank you so much!
Any status you qualify for in calendar year 2020 will be good through Jan. 31, 2022. So if you fly enough for status in Jan. 2020, it will be good through Jan. 31, 2022.

This of course assumes you qualify by "natural" methods and not via a challenge or some type of fastrack or promo, etc., which can have different rules.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Any status you qualify for in calendar year 2020 will be good through Jan. 31, 2022. So if you fly enough for status in Jan. 2020, it will be good through Jan. 31, 2022.

This of course assumes you qualify by "natural" methods and not via a challenge or some type of fastrack or promo, etc., which can have different rules.
Thank you JJeffrey, this is very helpful!
Old Sep 24, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors, Avis
Giving away a throwaway ticket

I have a return flight for a RT I am booked on that I can’t make due to a work schedule change. I will be heading to the airport and jumping on a Delta flight around the same time instead (better schedule for that particular airport, and with the change fee it was cheaper to just not take the American flight).

My buddy is flying back to my origin airport on Southwest. Can we both go through security (me on my American ticket, he on his Southwest ticket) and him take my American flight while I take a Delta flight instead? My thought is he might be able to cancel the Southwest flight for a refund past security and save a few bucks.

Not sure of the legality of it, thoughts?
Old Sep 24, 2019, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by oksimr
I have a return flight for a RT I am booked on that I can’t make due to a work schedule change. I will be heading to the airport and jumping on a Delta flight around the same time instead (better schedule for that particular airport, and with the change fee it was cheaper to just not take the American flight).

My buddy is flying back to my origin airport on Southwest. Can we both go through security (me on my American ticket, he on his Southwest ticket) and him take my American flight while I take a Delta flight instead? My thought is he might be able to cancel the Southwest flight for a refund past security and save a few bucks.

Not sure of the legality of it, thoughts?
When you are past TSA no one is checking ID at the gate for domestic flights. It’s probably not legal to do it tho
Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:09 pm

This is probably a dumb question but I was having trouble finding an answer online

I am AA Platinum, flying SEA-LHR with three family members
I know I can access OneWorld lounges at both ends with one guest
What is not clear to me is whether or not I can purchase two extra passes for the kids to get them in also?
Is this written somewhere ?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by limeyx
This is probably a dumb question but I was having trouble finding an answer online

I am AA Platinum, flying SEA-LHR with three family members
I know I can access OneWorld lounges at both ends with one guest
What is not clear to me is whether or not I can purchase two extra passes for the kids to get them in also?
Is this written somewhere ?
BA has it's own lounge at SEA and it does not allow extra guests for a fee. So you'll need to decide which family member you want take in with you.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
This is very trivial, but I let 400 ish miles expire a few years ago.

Every time I login on aa.com ever since, it always asks me if I want to reinstate them. It's become an extremely mild annoyance. Is there any way to permanently disable these notifications?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.