Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Combined 2019 AA Domestic Meal, Meals, menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Link to Combined 2019 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST.

MrAndy1369 originated this thread. Other posts in this topic have been merged here, throwing his post to #4. For members’ easy reference, we have reproduced that guidepost in its entirety. /Moderators

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Introduction
Welcome to the 2019 version of the combined AA meals thread, focusing on domestic service. Please post your meal/service experiences, including menus, photos, reports, questions, and service anecdotes.

To help give us a clear picture of your experience, remember to include the route, time, and meal designation (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, refreshments, none). Photos are welcome and very helpful. Those are rudimentary guidelines, but of course, the format/style is up to you.

Format Sample
This is a format you can use when introducing your meal report. This is just a sample format; deviations are expected.

AA1: JFK-LAX: 3pm
Dinner
A321
First Class, 2A

(from here, share the menu and/or experiences and/or photos)

Historical Meal Reports
Throwback mode? Go crazy! For the 2019 International Meals thread, click here.

Enjoy!
[COLOR="Navy"]Welcome to the 2019 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.
  • Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.
  • Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)
American Eagle flights do not offer pre-ordering of meals.

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.
  • Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

• At this time, pre-ordered meals are not available on American Eagle flights.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Thanks to MrAndy1369 for starting the thread and for the guidelines.
[COLOR]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Combined 2019 AA Domestic Meal, Meals, menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CLT
I don't have a problem with any of the ingredients, per say.

My problem is that AA is trying very hard to be "trendy" when it comes to their catering while sticking to a barebones catering budget. They could likely serve up simpler, more traditional dishes at a greater quality and quantity for the same price they are spending now. A simple fresh green salad with a lettuce mix, cherry tomatoes, and cucumber probably costs the same or less as the "trendy" salad with grapes, and could probably be delivered in a greater quantity at the same price.

I have a similar gripe with AA's international catering. The idea of eating bulgogi-style beef on a LHR-USA flight is bizarre to me. It reminds me of when my undergrad cafeteria used to try really hard to cook up trendy dishes that overall tasted and looked disgusting. Moral of the story is that AA should just stick to the basics. I had no problem with the cuisine of both L-US and L-AA. It was generally simple, traditional, familiar foods.
If AA is trying to be trendy they would be serving Avocado toast on the plane I don't think they are trying to be trendy. I think they are trying to think outside the box, and that is good thing. AA is not going to make everyone happy, and people to realize this, people have huge array of dietary needs today that AA, UA, DL, AS can not accommodate. Your comment about the Bulgogi on a LHR-US flight is just weird, so should AA just serve Shepards Pie, Fish and Chips, Tikka Masala? OF course, people would complain that the Shepards pie was too heavy, Fish and Chips werent' crisp enough and over cooked, and he rice of the Tikka Masala was over done.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BA Executive Club, LH Miles & More, Air Asia BigShot, Les Collectioneurs
Flying Domestic First from Bozeman (BZN) to DFW on de 738, flight departs at 07:29AM. Do i get a meal onboard? And would this breakfast be pre-bookable?

I have a 4 segment itinerary (Flagship business, First, First Flagship business), for the other 3 we can select pre order mails. But not for this 0729am one.

Would like to know, because we leave this early we have need to have breakfast at the hotel very early, or in the plane. With 2 young children we can not wait until we arrive 3 hours later in Dalles for break
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Justin Case
Flying Domestic First from Bozeman (BZN) to DFW on de 738, flight departs at 07:29AM. Do i get a meal onboard? And would this breakfast be pre-bookable?

I have a 4 segment itinerary (Flagship business, First, First Flagship business), for the other 3 we can select pre order mails. But not for this 0729am one.

Would like to know, because we leave this early we have need to have breakfast at the hotel very early, or in the plane. With 2 young children we can not wait until we arrive 3 hours later in Dalles for break
You'll receive continental breakfast. Think cold cereal, milk, yogurt, banana with the peel, sliced melon + a biscuit. Bloody Mary highly recommended.
AeRoSpaceman and Justin Case like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
Looks like there are new entrées?

I tried the falafel plate and it was surprisingly flavorful, fresh, overall good. Other option was beef short rib but with better sides than before, will try that next week.

BTW, on a related topic of first class monetization, the real driver seems to be I fares which get you F upgrade, they have been <$100 higher than lowest Y fare within couple of weeks of departure. I hardly see any day of departure UG on these flights now.
This looks like one of the new Zoe's meals? They're surprisingly good actually. Had a turkey bacon sandwich on an E75 flight recently which was also much better than I expected. Pic attached:
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I OF course, people would complain that the Shepards pie was too heavy, Fish and Chips werent' crisp enough and over cooked, and he rice of the Tikka Masala was over done.
Totally agree, AA F food is lot more contemporary and better since my traveling days began in 2007.

As to pmUS, here was CLT-SFO meal in 2007....speaks for itself.

Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
Totally agree, AA F food is lot more contemporary and better since my traveling days began in 2007.

As to pmUS, here was CLT-SFO meal in 2007....speaks for itself.

OMG! What is that?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Justin Case
No meal you can select, since the flight is double catered and will have a weak offering, ceral, fruit... Eat at home or the airport.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rumboj
OMG! What is that?
It looks like a calzone with marinara sauce on top.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by rumboj

OMG! What is that?
Many of us have Sherri Shamblin-era PTSD about calzones. That was a limited window in time in US's history, but there was a time in late 2006/2007 when almost every dinner flight was a choice between a calzone or pasta. There was even a cycle where one of the pairings was a choice between a round calzone and a square calzone. (They had different fillings but the FA wouldn't usually know which one was which, before the issue was corrected), so they would literally ask you if you wanted, "the round calzone or the square calzone." Travis Christ, the head of marketing at the time, even had to include the calzones in his mea culpa message to frequent flyers of the known problems at US that year.

Thankfully the catering program started improving slightly before her departure (and greatly after her departure) for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was a larger budget as the economy started to improve and the airline started running better. The calzones were still one of many mid-steps between the dark days of US's bankruptcy where they were serving cold boxes in F and the nicely-presented full meals that came back much later.
rumboj and Justin Case like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BA Executive Club, LH Miles & More, Air Asia BigShot, Les Collectioneurs
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
No meal you can select, since the flight is double catered and will have a weak offering, ceral, fruit... Eat at home or the airport.
Thanks, will try to snag something at the airport.
Wit a 0728AM departure, it will be hard to eat at the hotel (checking out at 6:15 for the cab ride to BZN) with kids. Little disappointed about the weak morning offering in F. Would expect something more substantial.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: Global Entry
Originally Posted by Nomorepretzels
Just returned from LAS, on a 767 relic from 1993 no less, to MIA. Decided to explore the hamburger option.
Edible but not memorable. Obviously I survived the encounter. Would I order again? Only when desperation sets in.
BTW, the cabin crew was over the top this trip. I thought I entered the Twilight Zone.

looks exactly like the angus beef cheeseburger at costco
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
American Eagle DFW-MRY (seasonal service) E175 - Continental Breakfast. Surprised by two choices.

Fruit plate, yogurt, cinnamon roll.

Poached salmon, fresh dill, pickled onion, lemon. Sour cream chive potato salad. (very tasty) Side of fruit. Cinnamon roll.
railmatt likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
American Eagle MRY-DFW (seasonal service). E175. Lunch.

Hot towel. Nuts. Beverage service.

Curry Chicken Salad sandwich. Pita Chips. Lemon cheese cake.

Tex Mex Salad w/chicken. Balsamic dressing. Lemon cheese cake.
railmatt likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Does anyone have any experience/opinion on the Grilled Chicken w/Shitake Mushrooms & Twice Baked Potato? It seems like it would be a safe option, but I have been surprised before.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:39 pm

515am ORD-DFW-PDX in August.
Choices for ORD-DFW:
  • Swiss Cheese and Roasted Tomato Omelet Swiss Cheese and Roasted Tomato Omelet
    hollandaise, seasoned potatoes and Italian chicken sausage
  • Seasonal Fruit Plate Seasonal Fruit Plate
    granola, vanilla Greek yogurt
Choices for DFW-PDX:
  • Breakfast Enchilada Breakfast Enchilada
    filled with scrambled eggs, fire roasted corn, swiss and pepper jack cheeses, served with sriracha pineapple chicken sausage and black beans
  • Seasonal Fruit Plate Seasonal Fruit Plate
    granola, vanilla Greek yogurt

Thought the Breakfast Enchilada sounded more appealing than the omelet on the first flight, but was curious for recommendations here. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.