Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA withholding, measuring or commenting on in air alcoholic drinks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA withholding, measuring or commenting on in air alcoholic drinks

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by dmsdfw
It is potentially a big deal if a flight attendant allows any passenger to become drunk, so I'm not at all surprised that they comment from time-to-time. In fact, I suspect they keep a rough mental tally of what they've served to every passenger.
I don’t think anyone’s questioning this logic, but why the seeming reprimand? At the end of the flight no less.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
No, but plenty of side-eye when i order booze (PDB) on those 5:30am - 7am departures...on DL I used to order coffee Baileys side of Woodford....a nice Irish breakfast...proper Irish if Jameson's had been available 🙃
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
Once I've been told that I would get only one more; don't know how many cocktails I had consumed but I can hold my booze and wasn't acting drunk. Can't blame the FA and respect their decision.

Back in the day I had consumed an ambien CR with a few cocktails on a redeye - pretty stupid on my part but how was the FA supposed to know. Slept really good for about 3 hours though.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Passengers seated near you might have been running a similar mental tally.
maybe if they are teetotalers, or the person is behaving inappropriately.

Many responsible adults can have a few (or more) drinks and not be disruptive.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
As per 14 CFR 121.575(b)(1) (https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.575):

"No certificate holder may serve any alcoholic beverage to any person aboard any of its aircraft who ... Appears to be intoxicated"

It is potentially a big deal if a flight attendant allows any passenger to become drunk, so I'm not at all surprised that they comment from time-to-time. In fact, I suspect they keep a rough mental tally of what they've served to every passenger.
I agree! I have been on a flight where a passenger was "cut-off." The passenger was noticeably inebriated when getting onto the 6 hour flight. (she should have been denied boarding) After a couple more she became quite belligerent, so much so that her traveling companion left the extra legroom seating to sit at the back of the plane. It could have escalated into a safety issue for everyone.

At the other end of the scale, I have seen an F FA serve one man three triples (ordered a double and extra bottle to top it off when he drank enough to hold it) during a 2 hour flight between SEA and LAX. 9X50 ml bottles equates to 15.25 ounces. I reported that incedent for coaching.

On AA I have never been questioned and find I am more often declining an offer for more. I like Tequila on the rocks with a twist of lime. Not an easy drink to find on a lot of airlines.

James
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
I did count once that a gentleman in 1F had 5 drinks on a CMH->LGA flight once - more impressive given the short time than anything else. Having 2 PDB’s helped that tally.
JohnVernon likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As per 14 CFR 121.575(b)(1) (https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.575):

"No certificate holder may serve any alcoholic beverage to any person aboard any of its aircraft who ... Appears to be intoxicated"

+1 - This.

I would take the FA's comment as a "slow down before I shut you off" in a somewhat nicer package.

None of this is about whether booze is free in MCE, the same CFR provision applies to paid booze as well.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:58 pm

Not AA, and not 1st or biz, however while on a Frontier flight from MSP-TPA a few months ago I ordered the "Happy Hour" special from the menu. 4 drinks for the price of 3. I sent one back a few rows to my companion, kept 3 for myself. No issue. Through a series of hilarious events, the two of us probably had 6 each during the flight. I hate to say I was drunk, but standing in the galley of a LCC flight having fun with the flight attendants may have been the best time I've had on an aircraft to date.

FWIW: No one asked if I was driving (I wasn't).
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
The problem with this sort of generalization is the tally for one person is not in any way correlated with the tally for another. A better way of approaching this is for the FA to keep this information to themself and do something like engage in friendly conversation or banter with the customer to gauge their level of inhibition and ability to speak/react. If there is a concern then bring it up, however if there is not then there is no reason to insinuate anything aloud to the customer.

With that said, I have also had the opposite experience at times where the FA wants to just keep pouring and pouring and I had to decline for one reason or another. I have very good self awareness and know when I have had enough vs. what I can handle, certainly better than any FA would be able to tell me, however I understand that many people who never drink/drink very rarely may not be familiar with how alcohol effects them.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
I had the same snooty reaction from an FA when I requested a 4th sundae on a TPAC once. These people act like they're god.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Austin787
I hope flight attendants are keeping tallies. No need to have drunk passengers during a flight.
I can drink 6+ whiskeys on a flight and be fine. I'd be quite unhappy if someone told me I was incapable of handling any more.

Police peoples behavior. Not the number of drinks
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmd320
With that said, I have also had the opposite experience at times where the FA wants to just keep pouring and pouring and I had to decline for one reason or another. I have very good self awareness and know when I have had enough vs. what I can handle, certainly better than any FA would be able to tell me, however I understand that many people who never drink/drink very rarely may not be familiar with how alcohol effects them.
I too had an FA with a grudge against my liver. Five mixed drinks on ORD-MSP followed by a very happy bus ride home. The refills came without asking, the second welcomed and the third surprising.
Bradhattan likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by Antarius
I can drink 6+ whiskeys on a flight and be fine. I'd be quite unhappy if someone told me I was incapable of handling any more.

Police peoples behavior. Not the number of drinks
And thats for ORD-MKE........
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I can’t be the only one who gets a HUGE glass of wine on my premium cabin TATL flights. By normal pour standards (4 to 5 ounces) it must be a double. And it always gets too warm before I can consume all of it. And they usually come by offering to top off my glass. I can’t seem to get them to stop pouring me wine. Going Eastbound I always have to rent a car so I basically return the glass half full to the galley after a few but Westbound - it’s bombs away!
LAX_BillyJoe likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:59 pm

Yes, for the first time last month. As FA handed my third drink she said: "This is your last one."
I asked her why she said that. She said that she didn't know if I would be driving later and that the airline would be responsible if I was.
Diver Boy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.