Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA withholding, measuring or commenting on in air alcoholic drinks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA withholding, measuring or commenting on in air alcoholic drinks

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
If I become a behavior problem, then cut me off.
This reasoning comes again again on this thread.
NO
If you become a behavior problem, then you ALREADY got too many drinks, the problem has not been avoided.

They would have to cut you off BEFORE the behavior problem starts, if FAs are supposed to do that.

If they are supposed to cut someone off, it would have to be based on an objective/quantifiable measure, no?
Judging behavior is very subjective (much more so if one is trying to determine when enough is enough before someone enters the problematic drunk zone)
I guess the easiest way is by number of drinks?
AA_ORDlady and robertablake like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:40 pm

If it is that important to you, you might have a problem.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I'm visiting an AA flight attendant and her husband, both old and very close friends. Wife (the AA employee) is sitting with me as I'm doing my round through the FT threads in which I'm interested. She saw me reading this one, and told me that if an airline permits someone to board who is drunk, the minimum fine from the FAA is USD $20,000.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm visiting an AA flight attendant and her husband, both old and very close friends. Wife (the AA employee) is sitting with me as I'm doing my round through the FT threads in which I'm interested. She saw me reading this one, and told me that if an airline permits someone to board who is drunk, the minimum fine from the FAA is USD $20,000.
I'm going to go on a limb and say airlines permit thousands of people to board each day who are drunk.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by cmd320
I'm going to go on a limb and say airlines permit thousands of people to board each day who are drunk.
Guilty LOL. I mean seriously....good luck trying to enforce this between vacation destinations, airline lounges and just plane old airport bars/restaurants
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JSSAUCE
Drink away, I have done so myself, way too many as recently as earlier this week. I am only saying the server absolutly has the authority to restrict/limit/stop service. What you/we/me think should be the limit or rule means nothing. If a server cuts you off after 1 drink, your cut off. To argue you can handle 1/3/5/15 drinks means nothing. If a server feels its time to cut you off, thats it.
They have full authority in the same way that they are not performing service due to "weather conditions".

simply put, some people deserve to be cut off - I've body slammed a wasted guy and helped flex cuff him for being a belligerent idiot . That is not carte blanche for not serving people for whatever reason they seem fit.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by erik123
If it is that important to you, you might have a problem.
My problem is your condescension. Otherwise, doing great.

I'm unapologetic for others inability to process alcohol. Not my shortcoming.

Last edited by Antarius; Aug 1, 2019 at 10:12 pm
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carlosdca
This reasoning comes again again on this thread.
NO
If you become a behavior problem, then you ALREADY got too many drinks, the problem has not been avoided.

They would have to cut you off BEFORE the behavior problem starts, if FAs are supposed to do that.

If they are supposed to cut someone off, it would have to be based on an objective/quantifiable measure, no?
Judging behavior is very subjective (much more so if one is trying to determine when enough is enough before someone enters the problematic drunk zone)
I guess the easiest way is by number of drinks?
Easiest way is to ban alcohol. Some people are a problem after a single drink.

Since that isn't on the table, the rest is a bunch of societal norm based easy behavior. People's inability to make reasonable decisions is not my problem. Let the belligerent problem passengers pay and deal with the problems they create - the rest of us do not need policing on our drink consumption.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
If you guys think this is a problem, try flying an airline based out of certain parts of the world where if you order one beer/drink the FA has a "problem" with it.

To which I say, "Go work for Saudia".
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by Antarius
They have full authority in the same way that they are not performing service due to "weather conditions".

simply put, some people deserve to be cut off - I've body slammed a wasted guy and helped flex cuff him for being a belligerent idiot . That is not carte blanche for not serving people for whatever reason they seem fit.
Not sure how weather conditions releate to cutting off alcohol service to someone the FA feels is overserved. If the FA feels some is overserved they can cut you off.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:58 am

Easiest way is to ban alcohol. Some people are a problem after a single drink.

Since that isn't on the table, the rest is a bunch of societal norm based easy behavior. People's inability to make reasonable decisions is not my problem. Let the belligerent problem passengers pay and deal with the problems they create - the rest of us do not need policing on our drink consumption.
And this is exactly what some people do not understand, or just don't like. "the rest of us do not need policing on our drink consumption" Someone serving alcohol absolutly has the responsability to police everyone they are serving. You might not like it, you might not agree. Again, take a class on this, you will see exactly what a server should be doing, pretty simple.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure how weather conditions releate to cutting off alcohol service to someone the FA feels is overserved. If the FA feels some is overserved they can cut you off.
I am well aware that servers can limit how much they serve. An FA can also kick you off a flight. Doesn't mean these rules need to be applied without common sense and consistency.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:29 am

I am well aware that servers can limit how much they serve. An FA can also kick you off a flight. Doesn't mean these rules need to be applied without common sense and consistency.
What exactly is your issue with a FA cutting off someone, what is bothering you. There should not be a consistent standard for level of alcohol, it's all based on behavior, consumption, frequency. I have no comment about kicking off a flight as this thread is not about that.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
What exactly is your issue with a FA cutting off someone, what is bothering you. There should not be a consistent standard for level of alcohol, it's all based on behavior, consumption, frequency. I have no comment about kicking off a flight as this thread is not about that.
What exactly is your issue with those of us that can handle multiple drinks without becoming a problem having them? It cannot be based on behavior and frequency - they do not always go together.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
An FA can also kick you off a flight.
And when someone’s drinking forces this action, everyone on the flight is punished. And it’s not just time lost, it’s potentially misconnections forcing a 24 hour delay on an international itinerary, lost hotel prepayment at the final destination and the payment of a hotel at the hub city, etc. It’s easy to blame the evil FA that cut you off because you are one of the “responsible” drinkers, but what about the risk of not spotting that one drinker that will cause the flight to be diverted costing everyone onboard time and money? I have no issue with an FA cutting me off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.