Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA withholding, measuring or commenting on in air alcoholic drinks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA withholding, measuring or commenting on in air alcoholic drinks

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by hipquest
Coming back from AMS earlier this month the FA felt the need to comment on the fact that I had 4 glasses of wine on an 8 hour flight. I replied, "That's all?". Not a big deal I just found it a bit odd.
It's not uncommon for my wife and I to clear out the entire selection of Bombay on flights that are less than three hours when we aren't driving when we land lol. Recently on a DTW-DFW the FA asked us along with anyone else who had three or more drinks if they were driving when we landed, which I suppose is responsible. We were connecting to LHR so not a problem.
MathMusic likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:50 pm
Suspended

will probably yield the same caliber of discussion as:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-per-hour.html
PHL, SouthernCross and Often1 like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Passengers seated near you might have been running a similar mental tally.
AA100k likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I was sitting in MCE two days ago in the aisle seat, window was a guy I didn't know and middle his female companion. He asked for two Heinekens and the FA said only one per person and noted that the girl was asleep. I asked for a Heineken also and after the FA left passed it to him. He had one more on the flight, which was a bit over four hours. I don't see anything wrong with FA's keeping track of drinkers who could hit the point of "too much."
SouthernCross likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by redtop43
I was sitting in MCE two days ago in the aisle seat, window was a guy I didn't know and middle his female companion. He asked for two Heinekens and the FA said only one per person and noted that the girl was asleep. I asked for a Heineken also and after the FA left passed it to him. He had one more on the flight, which was a bit over four hours. I don't see anything wrong with FA's keeping track of drinkers who could hit the point of "too much."
I have a saved email from customer service that specifically states it is NOT limited to one free drink.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I hope flight attendants are keeping tallies. No need to have drunk passengers during a flight.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Or they hand you a tally at the end and you can keep your high score!

Use it as a new brag rag tag on your rollaboard
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by hipquest
Coming back from AMS earlier this month the FA felt the need to comment on the fact that I had 4 glasses of wine on an 8 hour flight. I replied, "That's all?". Not a big deal I just found it a bit odd.
was that 1 hour after take off?
LINDEGR likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I've had the FA tell me the policy is one per customer to ensure everyone gets their selection on the first round. I think that's just being cheap.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Originally Posted by carlosdca
was that 1 hour after take off?
No, this came when I requested my last (4th) glass of wine about an hour before landing.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:46 pm

“Well, as long as the pilots had less.”
UKOK, jcatman, wrp96 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by SouthernCross; Jul 30, 2019 at 5:55 pm
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Originally Posted by Austin787
I hope flight attendants are keeping tallies. No need to have drunk passengers during a flight.
Absolutely agree, I just don't think the FA needs to point it out.
Dallas49er likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:26 pm

Maybe the flight attendant was simply a fan of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia"?

Because there's an episode where the lead characters trying to beat Wade Boggs' supposed record of 70 beers on a cross-country flight: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3111340/

And a ladies' reboot: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6362482/
SouthernCross likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
I flew KOA-LAX and the guy in the exit row aisle (MCE) managed 4 double Tito's before he fell asleep. I think if 8 servings of vodka is appropriate for someone who is supposed to be able to operate an exit, then I think 4 wines for the OP is ok.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
It's the law

As per 14 CFR 121.575(b)(1) (https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.575):

"No certificate holder may serve any alcoholic beverage to any person aboard any of its aircraft who ... Appears to be intoxicated"

It is potentially a big deal if a flight attendant allows any passenger to become drunk, so I'm not at all surprised that they comment from time-to-time. In fact, I suspect they keep a rough mental tally of what they've served to every passenger.
TWA884, Often1 and DiamondMile like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.