Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA withholding, measuring or commenting on in air alcoholic drinks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA withholding, measuring or commenting on in air alcoholic drinks

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:39 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Recently had a ~3hr flight out on AA, I had no issues ordering multiple double woodford & cokes. I had 3 or 4, nobody ever said a word and I never acted drunk. On a recent SFO/LAS flight on AS, I made it through 2 rounds on an hour flight. Again, nobody seemed to care.

Sounds like the FA was either 1) lazy, or 2) didn't agree with your level of alcohol consumption and was trying to limit you based on his/her beliefs. Neither is OK. The only acceptable reason for not serving you should be that you appeared intoxicated.
I have limited anecdotal experience (something over 1000 flights on AA, maybe about 2000 flights on all airlines combined). I have never been refused an alcoholic beverage and I have ordered many doubles in coach (no reason to order doubles in First class).
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite
I think "morality police" is the exact term. The 1-2 drink per hour is a rule of thumb for operating a motor vehicle within legal limit. There's nothing wrong with consuming more while being responsible (i.e. not a sloppy drunk!). You also have to take into account that no alcohol is/can be consumed during the final descent and during the time it takes to get off the plane, possibly waiting for your luggage and getting to your car (if driving!). There's a lot of time between deplaning and getting to your car (if driving!) that would prevent a FA from being held responsible for any intoxication...if that truly is the case.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Perhaps those from pre-merger AA aren't aware that US Airways was in legal trouble, and couldn't serve any alcohol at all on flights to/from New Mexico for a while after this incident:
https://www.abqjournal.com/news/stat...nm11-14-06.htm
https://www.abqjournal.com/news/apalcohol01-29-07.htm
https://www.pressreader.com/usa/usa-...82905201607939

This was discussed extensively in the US Airways forum here on Flyertalk back when it happened.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite
Hmmm...these articles mention people who are visibly and obviously intoxicated. The OP states otherwise, although we have no means to verify. The question remains is it ok for a FA to serve anyone?!?! Or is it ok to refuse just so he/she doesn't want to perform his/her duties!
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
I agree there is probably no fixed rule, but it seems as good a reason as any to say "I don't know you...
No, it doesn't.

This thread is way too long already but the point is that it's a promised benefit that a lot of us enjoy, and sometimes it's all we get. It's the day after Christmas, I just spent 2 great but long days in RSW with family after a whirlwind business trip to HKG; now I'm flying RSW-CLT-TYS for meetings tomorrow, I have a filing deadline tomorrow, and darn it, the only hour of "downtime" I might have is this one in the air before another fire ignites for me to extinguish. So I ordered a double G&T, I drank it, and, about 45 minutes into the flight, I ordered another and decided to kill some time online. And if nothing ignites during the layover, I might just have another drink or two on the next flight. So, I sympathize with OP. If the FA had told me no, I would have been mildly frustrated.

End of the day, these threads always derail into debate over how much is too much, obviously with nondrinkers dominating one side and heavier drinkers dominating the other. You might not understand my enjoyment of gin any more than I understand your enjoyment of cigarettes, trains, airplane tail numbers, political activities, or whatever else you might do that I don't. But that's okay. We're in this for the miles, not the homogeneity.

FAs have enough rules to enforce that they don't need to fabricate any extra. And AA doesn't need a new policy; the CFR is one: don't serve pax who appear intoxicated. It doesn't say "don't serve pax at a rate higher than what you think might lead to intoxication." So long as FAs stick to the stated rule, there won't be many wrongful denials of service--at the very least, it should be a tolerable rate of wrongful denial, without obviously wrongful fabrication of rules like in OPs case.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
As someone who sold/served alcohol and could've been fired/arrested for breaking the rules of the company & liquor license or local laws, unless the OP was visibly intoxicated or even showed some sort of sign of being intoxicated, the sky waitress should've done her job and served the OP a drink. AA as far as I know has no stipulations mid-flight on how much they can serve a person other than the fact they can't serve someone visibly intoxicated or a judgement call. As I said, unless this applied to the OP and we aren't getting a truthful story, the sky waitress needs to do her job or find another line of work that doesn't involve serving alcohol.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
About a year ago I was on a PHL > DFW flight sat next to a young man who was very twitchy. He wouldn’t sit still, he asked all kinds of questions, making it obvious he had never flown before. When the beverage cart cane around he starting asking all sorts of bizarre questions to the FA about how much alcohol was in the small bottles of several different spirits, what the conversion was from ounces to a typical shot in a bar, it was all very unusual. I could tell the FA was not inclined to serve him but he did not at all appear intoxocated just not completely right. So he got his drink after much back and forth but when he asked for a second the FA gave him the one drink per hour line in a very matter of fact tone and moved on.

I remember thinking at the time that answer was complete BS but it was also a clever way to not serve someone who was acting strangely. I had to struggle not to laugh and give the game away. Turns out after getting the full story there was a good reason for the guy’s strange behavior but I still thought it was a safe play by the FA to avoid a potentially problematic situation and gave him some kudos on the way off the plane. Of course, seasoned fliers wouldn’t buy such a flimsy excuse as some others on this thread have demonstrated but perhaps this little fib does serve a good purpose from time to time.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Well, platbrownguy has it right that this thread is too long already, but what the heck...I have many thoughts...

1. Assuming OP's accurate representation, the FA is obviously out of line here. As many have said, it's not like the rule is complicated; don't serve if passenger appears intoxicated. Since that's not the case...

2. As others have noted, the "I don't know you" thing is just weird, and compounds the problem.

3. Nothing remotely like this has ever happened to or around me. I don't have flight numbers like some folks round here, maybe 500? But I've only ever seen FAs deny service to people who did in fact appear intoxicated. None of them has ever been me

4. The whole legal liability rationale as proposed in this thread is nonsense, at least as applied to OP's story. A server/establishment only has liability if they were consciously serving someone they believed to be intoxicated. And that's just in theory; in practice, to actually get a court to do anything you generally have to show some really egregious behavior in terms of serving way too much and ignoring obvious intoxication. Given OP didn't appear intoxicated (and the FA didn't claim he did) none of that applies.

5. Lots of people here clearly misunderstand how intoxication works. Probably the biggest issue is a confusion of rates and levels. You become intoxicated as your blood alcohol level increases; your consumption rate of alcohol changes this level over time. Yes, it's true that the liver can remove alcohol from your blood at the rate of about 1 drink/hour. But exceeding that limit over a short period of time doesn't somehow automatically or instantly intoxicate you. A typical man could take all three of those Tito's in one gulp and still not hit 0.08% BAC. Going by OP's report, at the time he asked for two more Tito's he likely was around half that.
5a. Related to this, saying 1 drink/hour is a "rule of thumb for maintaining sufficient sobriety to drive" isn't really right; it's the rule about the rate of drinking that neither increases nor decreases one's BAC. You could double that rate for 2 hours and still be under.
5b. People saying things like "well three drinks in 45 minutes sounds like a lot to me" are going with their gut when they have plenty of information to go with their brain instead. I advocate against doing that; as a smart guy told me, "common sense is what tells us the Sun goes around the Earth."
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
Perhaps those from pre-merger AA aren't aware that US Airways was in legal trouble, and couldn't serve any alcohol at all on flights to/from New Mexico for a while after this incident:
No, they couldn't serve alcohol on the ground in NM or in NM airspace. Says so in your links. And it also says that was because the case happened to uncover the fact that they didn't have a NM liquor license, as opposed to any liability issue involved with serving the guy. So it's really not relevant at all to this situation. Or if it is, it's the other way around...your story is actually a pretty good example of why the liability argument as applied here doesn't make sense. Even in a case where the guy was allegedly acting really drunk on the flight and drank way more than OP, your first link has the sheriff saying that they aren't even going to bother trying to figure out who served him what because that's not prosecutable.

Last edited by HLCinCOU; Dec 26, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:47 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
A server/establishment only has liability if they were consciously serving someone they believed to be intoxicated.
That's not what I learned in law school. The test is the reasonable person standard; how a hypothetical person who exercises average care, skill, and judgment would act in a like situation is the standard to determine liability.

I'll just add that more often than not an inebriated person is the worst judge of whether he or she appears intoxicated.
JonNYC, skylady and Science Goy like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
That's not what I learned in law school. The test is the reasonable person standard; how a hypothetical person who exercises average care, skill, and judgment would act in a like situation is the standard to determine liability.
First, I wasn't really trying to be that precise. Stipulating to your reasonable person standard doesn't make anything else I said about the matter meaningfully different; if OP really was just two drinks deep and not visibly intoxicated, that standard isn't met. Second, this is a state law matter, so there's some variance in the standard used; I don't know where or when you went to law school, but most dramshop laws set a pretty high bar for negligence.

Originally Posted by TWA884
I'll just add that more often than not an inebriated person is the worst judge of whether he or she appears intoxicated.
Yeah, but in this case to assume OP was inebriated requires not just a lack of judgment but actual lying on OP's part. He says he didn't drink before the flight and had two airline bottles of vodka. That would not cause him to appear intoxicated to a reasonable person. I don't see any reason to call him a liar.

I maintain that if OP's relation of events is accurate, the airline couldn't have been within a country mile of any state's dramshop laws. You disagree?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
I remember flying US PHL-PIT weekly 10 years ago. When I was in F, I'd order Jack & Coke as pre-departure beverage and they'd hand me 2 bottles. If I somehow managed to get near finishing, another one would appear without asking, then hand me 2 more before we landed for later (without asking, mind you).
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
After reading some of the posts, I recall being on a Saturday "sunset" flight from JFK to LAX (late 1990s) that had maybe twenty people on the old 762. I was in J, and a famous B-list actor with and even more famous drinking problem was in F. He seemed to be in a jolly good mood talking and laughing with the three other people in F, one of whom wanted to chill out about halfway thru the flight. Well to this actor, who was now extremely loud and intoxicated, it was insulting that the passenger didn't want to continue to party and he became quite loud and was upset that he was interrupting his good time. The FAs tried to get him to settle down, and then cut him off. Needless to say he became more vocal and upset and it took the pilot and the lead FA to come out and tell them they were going to land the plane in Denver where he would be arrested if he didn't settle down immediately.

This is an extreme case, but maybe the FA on this flight had an encounter perhaps not as bad as this, and with a person not as famous, and wanted to avoid a repeat of the incident.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Ever had your cocktail consumption tallied in 1st or Business?

Coming back from AMS earlier this month the FA felt the need to comment on the fact that I had 4 glasses of wine on an 8 hour flight. I replied, "That's all?". Not a big deal I just found it a bit odd.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:38 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
I had a FA JFK-SFO once tell me that if she drank as much as I did, she'd be on the floor. I said, "Awwwww. Thanks for the compliment."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.