Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA withholding, measuring or commenting on in air alcoholic drinks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA withholding, measuring or commenting on in air alcoholic drinks

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by george 3
It's not a rule, it's good business practice and good courtesy at the FA's discretion. You don't see it on all the flights, but most pax, particularly in F appreciate it.
I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that Uncle Nonny was joking, and I agree with you: it was a class act.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:01 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
A few mentions in this thread refer to younger FA's who may be new to the profession or over cautious to protect their jobs. In my case, the FA was in her mid 50's on a mainline flight that used to be a USAirways route ex PHL. Not sure if the FA's are now freely moving about the full network or if they've stayed more or less within their former route structure/bases that they were in pre-merger.

And of course, I have no idea how long she had been a flight attendant.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Offshore171
Looking at this one from the attendant's POV for a moment. I'd certainly be wary to say the least, when a PAX orders a double shot of straight spirits, then comes down back to the galley with a cup asking for another hit.

That would set off alarm bells, and I can understand the response.
Recently had a ~3hr flight out on AA, I had no issues ordering multiple double woodford & cokes. I had 3 or 4, nobody ever said a word and I never acted drunk. On a recent SFO/LAS flight on AS, I made it through 2 rounds on an hour flight. Again, nobody seemed to care.

Sounds like the FA was either 1) lazy, or 2) didn't agree with your level of alcohol consumption and was trying to limit you based on his/her beliefs. Neither is OK. The only acceptable reason for not serving you should be that you appeared intoxicated.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: AA, WN, NK
Sounds lazy. I wonder who she gives those drinks to, considering she "doesn't know you". After an hour twenty in a dry tube I'd want another drink too. Whats the point of MCE if you're denied drinks because the FA was lazy or you weren't her friend. I'd write in and report the FA. Clearly, due to her response, there was no other reason for you not to being served other than her not knowing you.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:06 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by jagoffee
3 drinks in 45 minutes seems like a lot to many of us.

Not where I come from.

It always is a judgement call. I have cut people off when I think that they've had enough. What I would never do is spout some infantile nonsense about "rules". I'd be straight and tell them why. What I would never do is sit at the back of a cabin playing games on my phone and then talk to a passenger in such a condescending nannyish manner.
kingstontoon and lowmiles like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that Uncle Nonny was joking, and I agree with you: it was a class act.
I didn't think of that - good point out.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Originally Posted by PHL
She simply said that she usually serves only one drink per hour and since I had a double already, she wasn't initially going to give me another until she "let" me have a single.
Originally Posted by metallo
A few years ago, around the time of the merger, I had a relatively young (25ish) male FA on an LUS A321 CLT-SAN give me the "one drink an hour" line. [...] saying that all FAs learn the one drink an hour rule
Sounds to me like this (and the OP's) FA are misinterpreting part of their training as an official "policy" or "rule." They likely learn that a typical liver can metabolize the equivalent of roughly one drink per hour (which is widely taught in other contexts), and passengers exceeding this have a higher risk of becoming intoxicated. But usually this is meant to be a helpful benchmark (i.e. if someone is having 3 per hour, keep an eye out for signs of intoxication) rather than any sort of hard cutoff.
the issue is not the # of drinks per hour but rather making up rules. If the FA had said "I can't serve you yet because you appear intoxicated" that would be fine (it's in the CFRs).

FAs need to stop making up rules
It's only follow-up commentators who brought up the idea that either flight attendant described this as a "rule", as in something that they suggested was required by AA policy, the FAA, or their training. They merely suggested (as I read it) that one drink an hour is a rule of thumb that they personally use to judge alcohol consumption in their mandatory side role as bartender, a rule of thumb that might have been suggested in training, consistent with the standard rule of thumb for roughly maintaining sufficient sobriety to drive.

FA's making up "rules", typically to avoid confrontation and/or to make their jobs easier, is a real problem, but this isn't an example of that particular problem. Having their own rule of thumb does strike me as a sensible approach (and in the OP's case, the FA of course ultimately bent her rule of thumb, which seems appropriate). FA's function as bartenders, but it isn't their primary job; I think it is appropriate for them to err much more on the side of limiting consumption than would a bartender in a real bar.

Originally Posted by metallo
The "I don't know you" line mentioned by the OP is pretty over-the-top. I'd be really annoyed, more by the comment than the lack of alcohol. At those times when you just want to kick back with a few drinks, this is the type of FA that can really ruin your day.
+1; that particular attitude is more problematic. If the FA is restricting alcohol consumption based on a concern that the customer is intoxicated, it shouldn't matter whether the FA knows the customer. And I suspect that even if the FA knows the customer, they don't know them well enough to really judge alcohol tolerance, so it again shouldn't matter.

Edit: correct a “doesn’t” to “does”.
TWA884 and Science Goy like this.

Last edited by ashill; Dec 26, 2018 at 11:13 am
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by PHL
On a recent midcon route (on an E190) I was seated in row 5 (MCE). When the FA came through with the cart about 45 minutes into the flight, I asked for a double Titos on the rocks with a lemon or lime. They rarely have any fruit on the coach cart, and usually can get some from the F galley, but they also weren't catered with it.

She asked me "you want 2 Titos?" and I said "yes, please". Mind you, I hadn't had a drink in days so there weren't any signs of intoxication. She gave me the drink and that was that.

I nursed it while watching some content on my tablet. About 45 minutes later, I got up to use the rear lav and took my empty cup back to ask for a refill. I initially didn't see her(or anyone) in the rear galley because she was sitting in the last row of coach playing a game on her phone. She did look up and see me and told me that someone was in the lav, which I already saw by the latch on the door in the "do not enter" position. I asked for another double and she pointed out that it's a short flight (blocked 2.5 hours) and then said "I don't know you", so she would only give me a single for the remainder of the flight. I pointed out to her that I was not driving upon arrival and she reiterated that she didn't know me.

I didn't push the issue because that would likely lead to me getting nothing. I wondered if she enforces her own limits on F passengers, if she ever works that cabin.

I know that the FA has their own discretion on when and to whom to serve alcohol, though that's typically based on the passenger's demeanor. I hadn't been drinking prior to the flight nor was I doing anything to call attention to myself with any bad behavior. She never mentioned the limit was due to me being in MCE. She simply said that she usually serves only one drink per hour and since I had a double already, she wasn't initially going to give me another until she "let" me have a single.

Not the end of the world, but seems that I got a flight with an overly conservative FA when it came to drink service. Or maybe she was annoyed to be interrupted from her game.
Last week on DFW-DEN (return from TLV-LHR, EXP plateau trip), was sitting in first Main Cabin Extra bulkhead row and asked for a Woodford neat - attendant dropped two bottles and moved down the aisle during beverage service. I get this surprise treatment about once every 5th domestic flight it seems, but like you I tend to see the beverage service hit MCE seats once with their one free beverage, and never return except to take trash. Hadn't heard the "one per hour", however, even though once in a while I'll ask for a refill beer or Woodford (if they didn't give two the first time).
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I know I'm in the minority, but I personally don't drink much and don't understand why people feel a pressing need to drink a lot. I'm not saying the OP would die without 4 drinks, but I know people who would. I never order a double although occasionally I've ordered a Jack and ginger and had the FA hand me a can of Canada Dry and two J.D. minis. I guess I'd personally side with anything that keeps the level of intoxication down, because the main problem with drunks is that you can't negotiate with one.

I've been falling-down drunk a few times in my life, not many, and I was an Uber driver for a couple of years and I would not infrequently get passengers early in the evening who were reveling in the fact that they could get falling-down drunk since they weren't driving. Again, not something I would regard as an aspiration. Dinner at Morton's and the opera, or perhaps an upscale whorehouse, yes, but three sheets to the wind, no.

I guess I'm siding with the FA for erring on the side of caution. I agree there is probably no fixed rule, but it seems as good a reason as any to say "I don't know you and I don't want to take the chance that you'll get trashed and lead to an incident."

Seriously, who would you rather deny service to, someone who's just had two drinks, or someone who's just had six? We know which one you should, but which would be a profoundly more unpleasant experience?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Sorry but I do not care about your personal drinking habits or your need to hold them over others.
If it's a Friday afternoon I want a bloody drink, its not up to the FA to make up rules.
However I have experienced this level of union induced laziness before and I have always used "before you ask I am taking a limo/taxi home" and then have never had deal with this silliness for the rest of the trip.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ashill
It's only follow-up commentators who brought up the idea that either flight attendant described this as a "rule", as in something that they suggested was required by AA policy, the FAA, or their training. They merely suggested (as I read it) that one drink an hour is a rule of thumb that they personally use to judge alcohol consumption in their mandatory side role as bartender, a rule of thumb that might have been suggested in training, consistent with the standard rule of thumb for roughly maintaining sufficient sobriety to drive.

FA's making up "rules", typically to avoid confrontation and/or to make their jobs easier, is a real problem, but this isn't an example of that particular problem. Having their own rule of thumb doesn't really strike me as a sensible approach (and in the OP's case, the FA of course ultimately bent her rule of thumb, which seems appropriate). FA's function as bartenders, but it isn't their primary job; I think it is appropriate for them to err much more on the side of limiting consumption than would a bartender in a real bar.

+1; that particular attitude is more problematic. If the FA is restricting alcohol consumption based on a concern that the customer is intoxicated, it shouldn't matter whether the FA knows the customer. And I suspect that even if the FA knows the customer, they don't know them well enough to really judge alcohol tolerance, so it again shouldn't matter.
Yea. The whole you don't "know" me made me LOL. Great communication skills.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
One time during a ~4hr flight in FC on UA, the FA #1 refused to serve us alcohol after meal service because despite our high tolerance, he believed we "had too much to drink". 2 scotches and 1 wine? We were baffled by the remark, told FA #2 about how we in no way were acting nor appearing intoxicated, and she went to the galley to talk to him (and probably also saw our flyer status). A couple minutes later, he came out and apologized to us claiming he believed we appeared intoxicated, that FA's have to make judgement calls based on passengers' alcohol tolerance levels, and they "try to not have things get out of hand". Talk about making a fool out of oneself. He then asked us what we wanted to drink.

Regardless of airline, FA's can act like they are the king of judgment void of any lapses, and every now and then you're bound to run into one and have to deal with them.

We also encountered a FA who refused to serve the whole FC cabin for the remainder of the flight due to her "union break". That was interesting.

Last edited by DBam; Dec 26, 2018 at 10:35 am Reason: add content
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I'll give the FA a break here.

There's a lot of air rage in the news lately and much of it involves alcohol so for a FA to be cautious seems fine for me. That's not saying there was anything wrong with OP's asking. But, she did give a double the first time around without an issue and it is a fairly short flight.

And ... obviously alcohol isn't a direct source of air rage ... if so, we'd have more problems in F Instead, it seems to be a bigger issue on Spirit/Frontier/Ryanair where nothing is free.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:43 am

Since we are telling drinking stories, most of the time things are "just fine" and not interesting one way or the other, but I do remember one J trip to LHR where I wasn't following by the playbook and going to bed after dinner like everyone else. I was about halfway through the movie, no FA in sight so I steeled myself and pressed the call button. FA arrives and I ask for some Port. She isn't overtly hostile or anything, but she definitely paused for a beat where I could see her wheels turning probably thinking something like "I can't believe he called me over here for this". She leaves and returns a few minutes later with my wine. Now, Port is pretty high proof and meant to be sipped in small amounts. She served me a giant glass of the stuff. It was so much that I laughed when she brought it over. I thanked her and that was that. I didn't even try to finish it all, and for some reason fell asleep shortly thereafter.

And then there was a LUS flight where the FA kept bringing so many Tanqueray bottles to my seat mate and I that we must've left with 8 of the things still unopened. That was one for the books.

But yes, 3 drinks on that "short" flight doesn't strike me as anything to worry about. Making up the rules and the I don't "know" you is the most curious part. If that really were a rule, then a lot of her "friends" are breaking it every day. If an actual bartender in the AA Lounge will serve unlimited numbers of drinks pre-flight, then I don't need the FAs to be the morality police when someone is minding their own business and playing on their iPad.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I remember flying SYD/LAX years ago on QF in Y. The guy next to me was ordering doubles every 15 minutes and the FA was simply serving them. Within a space of a few hours he had nearly 20 drinks. I kept thinking when is the FA going to cut him off. I had visions of him puking all over the cabin (and possibly on me) and what that would mean on what would be more than ten hours to go. There aren't many places to easily divert in the middle of the Pacific. Luckily this guy finally passed out but his snoring could have woken up the dead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.