Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (2019 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Which Boeing 777-200ER will I have?

AA has a fleet of 47 Boeing 777-223ER aircraft configured with 37 Business, 24 Premium Economy and 212 Main Cabin seats, including 66 Main Cabin Extra (including exit rows) seats. With the mixed 19 Zodiac vs 28 Super Diamond 772 fleet, Business travelers will be at risk of an aircraft substitution from one to the other, though apparently Dispatch prefers keeping the same subtype on certain routes; in cases of OSO, etc. one type may be substituted for another, even without notice (some FT members have reported such).

Link to list of airframes by registration number and configuration in (unofficial) AA fleet pages.

NOTE: it has been reported aa.com seat charts will usually show “no notches”, IMO, Super Diamond seats, until 48 hours from departure time. At that time, Zodiac equipped aircraft seat charts will display notches on aft-facing seats.

110 VAC universal plug and 5 VDC USB
Panasonic International satellite based WiFi (fee)
ExTV IFE for every seat

Business cabin notes
Version 1
19 aircraft are fitted with 37 Zodiac Concept D Business Suite in yin-yang configuration (the inoperable privacy divider and induced motion from seats “tied at the head” aka “Motion over the ocean” are supposed to be remediate by AA)

Version 2
28 aircraft are fitted with 37 B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business suites in an angled forward facing reverse herringbone configuration

Premium Economy notes
24 AA Rockwell Collins MiQ Premium Economy seats (only bulkhead Seats have legrests) in a 2-4-2 configuration

Main Cabin Extra notes
66 Main Cabin Extra economy seats with extended seat pitch / leg room in a 3-4-3 configuration

Main Cabin notes
148 Main Cabin economy seats with standard 31-32” seat pitch in a 3-4-3 configuration

Why two configurations?
All 47 772s were all to have been configured with 45 Zodiac Concept D Business Suites in a yin-yang configuration, some with C45, most with C37. The same seat was to be installed in AA Boeing 787-8 and -9 aircraft.

The C45 decision was made before the reverse takeover of AA by US. The decision was changed to go to a C37 772 aircraft across the board, and that the 13 772s with C45 would be reconfigured to C37.

Zodiac was unable to manufacture the seat in sufficient quantity to satisfy their contract with AA. The 772 refit was stalled, and some early 787-8s sat on the ground seatless. AA was upset at deriving no revenue from them but having to pay for the idled aircraft.

AA sued and terminated the contract with Zodiac, and let the seats contract for remaining seats to B/E Aerospace (purchased in 2017 by Rockwell Collins).

AA also decided to refit 772s and 788s with Premium Economy as well as to standardize the Zodiac subfleet to C37. The last two C45 Zodiac 772s were in the shop at KPAE getting refitted to C37 and PE as of early December 2018.

Related threads
Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Super Diamond seat
Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business
Boeing 777-200ER / 777 Best Premium Economy
Best Economy Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac Main Cabin & Extra / MCE
Best Economy Seat 777-200 “777" C37 Super Diamond Economy / Main Cabin & Extra MCE
Print Wikipost

Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (2019 on)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2021, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Just looked on FlightRadar again and three days out is showing now. Think you are right -- it may not have been showing before because there is a slightly different departure time beginning on Thursday that is reflected now.

So if I do fly Friday, it will apparently be on one of the dreaded zodiacs. 😖 😖

I'm already dreading the thought of the 8 hour flight & spending the money on that plane. There's no guarantee the outcome would be any different delaying a couple days though.
AA doesn't have the best operational performance so there is still a slim chance that your 772 may get substituted on the day of departure. This has happened to me numerous times and sometimes on short flights, it works in your favor, e.g., getting a 772 in the Super Diamond configuration with duvets and pillows DFW MIA because the original frame had a mechanical issue.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 10:40 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
The BOG-MIA red eye is always a coin flip. It always arrives from DFW and has half the time BE, half the time Zodiac with zero consistency. No pattern, just random. 😑 lol
Old Oct 6, 2021, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by fly747first
AA doesn't have the best operational performance so there is still a slim chance that your 772 may get substituted on the day of departure. This has happened to me numerous times and sometimes on short flights, it works in your favor, e.g., getting a 772 in the Super Diamond configuration with duvets and pillows DFW MIA because the original frame had a mechanical issue.
Blankets & duvets on DFW-MIA, this could explain why they are missing on LAX/MIA so often
fly747first, SKYEG, cmd320 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Flying on a 772 tonight. When I checked last night, the seat map had the notches. Thank goodness for this thread -- I switched my seat to a row where I would be forward-facing. This morning, though, there are no notches. Checking FlightRadar it looks as if the flight was switched to one with the Super Diamond seats.

The other weird thing I'm seeing is that FlightRadar is estimating my flight will depart 30 minutes late tonight. AA.com says my flight will be on time.....
SKYEG likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
Flying on a 772 tonight. When I checked last night, the seat map had the notches. Thank goodness for this thread -- I switched my seat to a row where I would be forward-facing. This morning, though, there are no notches. Checking FlightRadar it looks as if the flight was switched to one with the Super Diamond seats.

The other weird thing I'm seeing is that FlightRadar is estimating my flight will depart 30 minutes late tonight. AA.com says my flight will be on time.....
10A/L is best seat for 772 if you don't know what you're getting. guarantees forward facing non attached seat, plus there's no missing windows. Very private. Rare to have a PY bassinet behind you. no foot traffic either. All my 772's I always put myself in advance 10A for this reason. If it swaps 100% to a BE config, I would slightly prefer 1A/L
Old Oct 17, 2021, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by SKYEG
10A/L is best seat for 772 if you don't know what you're getting. guarantees forward facing non attached seat, plus there's no missing windows. Very private. Rare to have a PY bassinet behind you. no foot traffic either. All my 772's I always put myself in advance 10A for this reason. If it swaps 100% to a BE config, I would slightly prefer 1A/L
Thanks for the advice. Those are taken on my flight tonight, but I grabbed 10A on my return flight.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 12:52 pm

10L. 10L. You’re a righty
SKYEG and madmanshoney like this.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 1:19 pm

Thanks for the advice. Those are taken on my flight tonight, but I grabbed 10A on my return flight.
I would say on this forum and others where the Zodiac convo comes up that 2/3 ppl prefer the rear facing seats. For me it’s a No due to you can’t see out of the window w out whiting your neck and you face the aisle. I don’t get the desire for these rear facing, nothing against rear facing in general. Also I don’t like the 2 tables as you feel confined.

10A/L is def the go to, I agree w SkyKeg totally. Very private and guarantee no rocking. No rocking is only 1, 7 or 10 and 10 gets you forward facing and privacy which 1 and 7 dont have. Just everyone will board past you that’s one negative.

I only disagree w SkyKeg on If it’s for sure B/E where I always take 3L. Same idea w 789 but I like 4L there as it’s a longer cabin. I like mid cabin for less disruptions and fewer pax passing by.
SKYEG likes this.

Last edited by happiest_at_40000; Oct 17, 2021 at 4:12 pm
Old Oct 17, 2021, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
I would say on this forum and others where the Zodiac convo comes up that 2/3 ppl prefer the rear facing seats. For me it’s a No due to you can’t see out of the window w out whiting your neck and you face the aisle. I don’t get the desire for these rest facing, nothing against rear facing in general. Also I don’t like the 2 tables as you feel confined.
Yeah, I don't get the rear-facing thing. I like to face forward all the time, whether I'm in a car, train or airplane.
Seat 1F and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 3:56 pm

Yeah, I don't get the rear-facing thing. I like to face forward all the time, whether I'm in a car, train or airplane.
The only time I enjoyed flying rear was on UA 747 upper deck, 2-2 biz layout. The slight incline helped me get such a great sleep. But the layout didn't impact the way you were facing or being able to see out the window. Zodiac rear is a double suck because of the attached seat and facing out towards the aisle. I hate that. Less privacy and terrible views.

It reminds me of the old classic J pod Air Canada herringbone 1-1-1 where you're forward facing but still either stuck looking at a wall, or feet. Everyone hates that layout on AC forum, so I'm surprised people like the rear seat that looks at the aisle.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 4:11 pm

The only time I enjoyed flying rear was on UA 747 upper deck, 2-2 biz layout. The slight incline helped me get such a great sleep. But the layout didn't impact the way you were facing or being able to see out the window. Zodiac rear is a double suck because of the attached seat and facing out towards the aisle. I hate that. Less privacy and terrible views.

It reminds me of the old classic J pod Air Canada herringbone 1-1-1 where you're forward facing but still either stuck looking at a wall, or feet. Everyone hates that layout on AC forum, so I'm surprised people like the rear seat that looks at the aisle.
I’ve brought this facing the aisle thing up w the Zodiac rear facing 5-6 x on here and you’re the only person to agree/mention it. It’s horrible. And yes mine my DL 777 before the re config. Horrible to look into the aisle. And on the all herringbone you see just a run of feet as you said. Kills the neck to look out the window too.

Also I’m not a fan of the 2 tables and feeling squeezed in.

All that said I’d take a rear no rock over a forward w rock.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 4:13 pm

I don’t love it either but on Q Suites it’s the money seat but there you aren’t facing the aisle w a bad neck turn to see the windows.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 5:01 am

The flight was indeed the Super Diamond configuration. I was in 9D. Slept most of the way with the comfy pillow and blanket (and some medicine). Crew was friendly and attentive. Seat was comfortable. Flight was a little bit early. Overall, a great experience.

Thanks, FT.
SKYEG likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:24 am

On AA 104 tomorrow. Based on the sticky from the older thread, will be on N757AN. Wasn’t fitted with the super diamond seats

35 hours out, seat map isn’t showing notches yet. Hoping for an aircraft change 🙏🏿
Old Oct 27, 2021, 7:49 pm

My return flight had the Zodiac seats. I booked 10A, but ended up switching to 10L on board because the armrest was broken on my seat (wouldn't lock in either up or down position). I'm not sure 10A/L is any more private than any other seat because if there was someone in the middle rear-facing seats in row 10, I feel like we'd be doing a lot of looking at each other. It took me a while to figure out the on-screen seat controls. It's a neat idea in theory, but makes something that should be simple unnecessarily complicated. Overall I do think I prefer the Super Diamond seats to the Zodiac. I'm talking about the seat and pod design, not just the layout.

Oh, and what's with the shoulder belt on the Zodiac seat? Can anyone explain that one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.