FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (2019 on) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1944965-aircraft-guide-777-200er-772-777-2019-a.html)

JDiver Jan 22, 2016 4:33 pm

Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (2019 on)

17 Attachment(s)
NOTE: Which Business seats a particular aircraft has is somewhat opaque on aa.com’s seat charts.

The B/E Aerospace Super Diamond aircraft are configured in a angled forward reverse herringbone, all seats face forward at an angle. SeatGuru “version 2” 777 chart below.

On aa.com, if the available (blue) seats have NO notch in the front on any seat (are perfectly square, as they all face forward at an angle), it’s a B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Solo equipped aircraft.

The Zodiac Concept D Businesses Suite aircraft are configured yin-yang with forward and aft facing seats. AA shows aft-facing seats as having notches. SeatGuru “version 1” seat chart here. (NOTE: This is a modified chart that reflects show PE, as the current SeatGuru chart reflects the defunct Zodiac C45, W0.)

On aa.com, if the available (blue) seats have a notch in the front signifying aft (backward) facing seats, it’s a Zodiac “Concept D” Business Suite equipped aircraft.

Sequentially below:

Super Diamond C37 Business cabin

Super Diamond C37 depicted on aa.com (no notches)

Zodiac C37 Business cabin

Zodiac C37 depicted on aa.com - notched seats face aft

NOTE: Zodiac 45 J Business cabin have all been refitted to C37 + PE

Thanks to econometrics for keeping us up to date on the refut dates and airframes, and to fedechat for documenting the end of this refit:

Originally Posted by fedechat (Post 30523992)
There is no more High 45J 772 in service, N795N is leaving PAE this afternoon and the last one (N759AN) arrived 2 days ago at PAE from TUL, it will be done by next week for sure.

JDiver Dec 5, 2018 6:26 pm

6 Attachment(s)
Boeing 777-223ER in new color scheme, c/o Juergen’s Paint Hangar.

BrianWBrazil Dec 10, 2018 6:08 am

Which 777-200ER / 772? Change of aircraft (777-200). Should I be happy?

Hi there, My flight this coming Friday night has just been changed from a 777 200 with 12 rows of business to a version with 10 rows. It seems the new version is all forward facing seating. I happy with the actual seat location as it's in the same part of the cabin (row 3), but should I be happy about the actual aircraft? Are these variants of the 777 200 any better or worse than what I have been expecting? I have never flown on AA metal so thanks for any insight.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Dec 10, 2018 6:14 am

Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil (Post 30518320)
Hi there, My flight this coming Friday night has just been changed from a 777 200 with 12 rows of business to a version with 10 rows. It seems the new version is all forward facing seating. I happy with the actual seat location as it's in the same part of the cabin (row 3), but should I be happy about the actual aircraft? Are these variants of the 777 200 any better or worse than what I have been expecting? I have never flown on AA metal so thanks for any insight.

Well not much difference between each variant. As far as happy? Its all relative. I'd be much, much happier sitting in J, PE or even MCE over Y.

IADCAflyer Dec 10, 2018 6:44 am

Not if you had been booked in row 12....

ajeleonard Dec 10, 2018 7:15 am

IMO the all forward seats are better than the forward back ones. YMMV

JDiver Dec 10, 2018 9:58 am

1 Attachment(s)

IME, good news for you. You have been changed to one of the 28 772s with C37 B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business suites from a no longer flying in that configuration C45 Zodiac Concept D Business Suite in yin-yang configuration, which due to inoperable privacy divider and induced motion from seats “tied at the head” (“Motion over the ocean”) is often considered the less desirable of the 772.

See the Wikipost at the top of the page for the details.

kjm12898 Dec 11, 2018 1:43 pm

If anyone is on a 772 in the near future, check your seat maps! When I booked MXP-JFK for this week, it was the old seat map with no premium economy. The plane has now switched to the new one with PE, but seats are now being sold as PE, they are not just MCE like my JFK-LHR last week. Also, was booked in the front business cabin for the return and was moved to the back, so beware!

JDiver Dec 11, 2018 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by kjm12898 (Post 30524439)
If anyone is on a 772 in the near future, check your seat maps! When I booked MXP-JFK for this week, it was the old seat map with no premium economy. The plane has now switched to the new one with PE, but seats are now being sold as PE, they are not just MCE like my JFK-LHR last week. Also, was booked in the front business cabin for the return and was moved to the back, so beware!

I’ve experienced aircraft substitutions from Super Diamond to Zodiac, and AA didn’t handle that well. Equipment changes should be checked going forward.

In particular, anyone who booked a Zodiac C45 configured aircraft should ASAP look at their PNR and select a seat they might not get dumped out of because it’s non-existent with the refit to all C37 business cabins.

dkc192 Dec 11, 2018 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30518991)
IME, good news for you. You have been changed to one of the 28 772s with C37 B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business suites from a no longer flying in that configuration C45 Zodiac Concept D Business Suite in yin-yang configuration, which due to inoperable privacy divider and induced motion from seats “tied at the head” (“Motion over the ocean”) is often considered the less desirable of the 772.

The swap from 45J to 37J does not necessarily guarantee Super Diamond seats...there have always been 772s with 37 Concept D seats (originally it was 6 out of the 34 frames with 37J, leaving 28 out of 34 with Super Diamond). I recently saw a report (can't remember the exact source) that all active 772s are now configured with 37J and PE, with the final two 45J aircraft in retrofit. This means that 17 of the 45 active 772s have the Concept D seats; soon to be 19 out of 47 once the final two aircraft have completed their retrofit.

In other words:
13 out of 47 came with 45 Concept D seats; these have been retrofitted to reduce the number of J seats by 8 and add PE.
6 out of 47 came with 37 Concept D seats.
28 out of 47 came with 37 Super Diamond seats.

Seat type hasn't changed with any of the retrofits. There is now one standard configuration for all 772s in terms of seating numbers but not the type of J seat, and it won't be known which J seat you will get until ~48h before departure. At that point, if your flight has been assigned an aircraft with Concept D seats, your seatmap will be updated to show little notches in the backward facing seats.

JDiver Dec 11, 2018 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post 30525217)
The swap from 45J to 37J does not necessarily guarantee Super Diamond seats...there have always been 772s with 37 Concept D seats (originally it was 6 out of the 34 frames with 37J, leaving 28 out of 34 with Super Diamond). I recently saw a report (can't remember the exact source) that all active 772s are now configured with 37J and PE, with the final two 45J aircraft in retrofit. This means that 17 of the 45 active 772s have the Concept D seats; soon to be 19 out of 47 once the final two aircraft have completed their retrofit.

In other words:
13 out of 47 came with 45 Concept D seats; these have been retrofitted to reduce the number of J seats by 8 and add PE.
6 out of 47 came with 37 Concept D seats.
28 out of 47 came with 37 Super Diamond seats.

Seat type hasn't changed with any of the retrofits. There is now one standard configuration for all 772s in terms of seating numbers but not the type of J seat, and it won't be known which J seat you will get until ~48h before departure. At that point, if your flight has been assigned an aircraft with Concept D seats, your seatmap will be updated to show little notches in the backward facing seats.

Im unsure of what you’re getting at.

The Wikipost is pretty clear that there are 19 C37 Zodiac 777-200ERs and 28 C37 Super Diamond 777-200ERs in the fleet as currently configured. Though Dispatch prefers assigning certain aircraft types to specific routes, among the 777 / 772 fleet equipment substitutions can happen anytime. (I’ve experienced this at least once, a 777 Super Diamond swapped out the same day for a Zodiac model.)

As for my reply to BrianWBrazil, it’s pretty obvious his aircraft was substituted with a Super Diamond aircraft. :)

dkc192 Dec 11, 2018 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30525482)
Im unsure of what you’re getting at.

The Wikipost is pretty clear that there are 19 C37 Zodiac 777-200ERs and 28 C37 Super Diamond 777-200ERs in the fleet as currently configured. Though Dispatch prefers assigning certain aircraft types to specific routes, among the 777 / 772 fleet equipment substitutions can happen anytime. (I’ve experienced this at least once, a 777 Super Diamond swapped out the same day for a Zodiac model.)

As for my reply to BrianWBrazil, it’s pretty obvious his aircraft was substituted with a Super Diamond aircraft. :)

Ah, misread OP's post. Glad we're on the same page.

JDiver Dec 11, 2018 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post 30525513)
Ah, misread OP's post. Glad we're on the same page.

I can do that, too, and I’m happy when a member takes the time to correct me.

May all your 772s be equipped with Super Diamonds. :)

(I think we’ll have the same problem with the 787-8. 20 delivered with Zodiacs, 22 more on order starting 2020 - I suspect with Super Diamonds.)

GFrye Dec 13, 2018 2:41 pm

I've read the wiki and the first couple of posts, but there's one thing that I can't figure out: If I know the aircraft registration number, how can I tell which type J class seat will be on the flight?

(Apologies if I've missed something very basic in the wiki or previous posts. Preparing to put on the dunce cap and go sit in the corner...)

JJeffrey Dec 13, 2018 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by GFrye (Post 30532466)
I've read the wiki and the first couple of posts, but there's one thing that I can't figure out: If I know the aircraft registration number, how can I tell which type J class seat will be on the flight?

(Apologies if I've missed something very basic in the wiki or previous posts. Preparing to put on the dunce cap and go sit in the corner...)

If you look at the AA fleet site, you can match the registration number to type of business seat...

https://sites.google.com/site/newame...eing-777-200er