Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (2019 on)

Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Which Boeing 777-200ER will I have?

AA has a fleet of 47 Boeing 777-223ER aircraft configured with 37 Business, 24 Premium Economy and 212 Main Cabin seats, including 66 Main Cabin Extra (including exit rows) seats. With the mixed 19 Zodiac vs 28 Super Diamond 772 fleet, Business travelers will be at risk of an aircraft substitution from one to the other, though apparently Dispatch prefers keeping the same subtype on certain routes; in cases of OSO, etc. one type may be substituted for another, even without notice (some FT members have reported such).

Link to list of airframes by registration number and configuration in (unofficial) AA fleet pages.

NOTE: it has been reported aa.com seat charts will usually show no notches, IMO, Super Diamond seats, until 48 hours from departure time. At that time, Zodiac equipped aircraft seat charts will display notches on aft-facing seats.

110 VAC universal plug and 5 VDC USB
Panasonic International satellite based WiFi (fee)
ExTV IFE for every seat

Business cabin notes
Version 1
19 aircraft are fitted with 37 Zodiac Concept D Business Suite in yin-yang configuration (the inoperable privacy divider and induced motion from seats tied at the head aka Motion over the ocean are supposed to be remediate by AA)

Version 2
28 aircraft are fitted with 37 B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business suites in an angled forward facing reverse herringbone configuration

Premium Economy notes
24 AA Rockwell Collins MiQ Premium Economy seats (only bulkhead Seats have legrests) in a 2-4-2 configuration

Main Cabin Extra notes
66 Main Cabin Extra economy seats with extended seat pitch / leg room in a 3-4-3 configuration

Main Cabin notes
148 Main Cabin economy seats with standard 31-32 seat pitch in a 3-4-3 configuration

Why two configurations?
All 47 772s were all to have been configured with 45 Zodiac Concept D Business Suites in a yin-yang configuration, some with C45, most with C37. The same seat was to be installed in AA Boeing 787-8 and -9 aircraft.

The C45 decision was made before the reverse takeover of AA by US. The decision was changed to go to a C37 772 aircraft across the board, and that the 13 772s with C45 would be reconfigured to C37.

Zodiac was unable to manufacture the seat in sufficient quantity to satisfy their contract with AA. The 772 refit was stalled, and some early 787-8s sat on the ground seatless. AA was upset at deriving no revenue from them but having to pay for the idled aircraft.

AA sued and terminated the contract with Zodiac, and let the seats contract for remaining seats to B/E Aerospace (purchased in 2017 by Rockwell Collins).

AA also decided to refit 772s and 788s with Premium Economy as well as to standardize the Zodiac subfleet to C37. The last two C45 Zodiac 772s were in the shop at KPAE getting refitted to C37 and PE as of early December 2018.

Related threads
Best Business Seat 777-200 777 C37 Super Diamond seat
Best Business Seat 777-200 777 C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business
Boeing 777-200ER / 777 Best Premium Economy
Best Economy Seat 777-200 777 C37 Zodiac Main Cabin & Extra / MCE
Best Economy Seat 777-200 777" C37 Super Diamond Economy / Main Cabin & Extra MCE
Print Wikipost

Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (2019 on)

Old Jun 28, 2023, 9:26 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by fb0075
how are the seats??
Flew this route last year on the newer 9 version
What -9 version of the 777 are you referring to? None have been delivered to any airline yet.

If you're referring to a previous trip on an AA 787-9, The 777-200 AA flies has a mix of the Zodiac business class seats that alternate forward-backward facing, and the all forward facing Collins Super Diamonds.
The AA 787-9 has the same Super Diamond seats that are on half the 777-200 fleet.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 9:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
772 "Super Diamond" seats are decent but very narrow for side sleepers.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 2:55 pm

Hi,

I am flying on LAX-LHR tomorrow, and the AA seat map is showing all forward facing. However, the aircraft N751AN (according to FR24) is zodiac. Is it possible that there will be an aircraft swap or that N751AN has been upgraded to B/E? N751AN just did come out of 4 days in Tulsa.

Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2023, 3:02 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by freakfor747
Hi,

I am flying on LAX-LHR tomorrow, and the AA seat map is showing all forward facing. However, the aircraft N751AN (according to FR24) is zodiac. Is it possible that there will be an aircraft swap or that N751AN has been upgraded to B/E? N751AN just did come out of 4 days in Tulsa.

Thanks!
As far as I am aware, they are not yet refitting the cabins with the B/E seats. AA2129 tomorrow (N751AN's next flight) is showing having backward facing seats. I'm guessing either an aircraft swap or the seat map hasn't yet been updated, usually that's done 24 hours out.
freakfor747 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I'll be on a 777 from CLT - MUC.

I think these are all front facing seats, but I'm not positive of that. Does anyone know what I'll get, and if there are any seats that have more storage / room than others (most likely on the windows).
Old Jul 30, 2023, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by dingo
I'll be on a 777 from CLT - MUC.

I think these are all front facing seats, but I'm not positive of that. Does anyone know what I'll get, and if there are any seats that have more storage / room than others (most likely on the windows).
CLT sees only 777-200s. 40% of the 772 fleet is forward/rear and the other 60% is all forward facing. Thus, you can never really know which way you will fly until at most a few days before when AA assigns a tail # to your flight. But even then, it can (and often will) change.

Both forward and rear seats in the forward/rear configuration have poor storage. But basically equal. The rear-facing, however, does have a bit more surface area for you to set things during the flight that you aren’t worried about moving in turbulence, etc.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 7:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Is this thread still going? How bad is the bulkhead in J?
Old Dec 30, 2023, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Is this thread still going? How bad is the bulkhead in J?
Yes this thread is still going, however the whole point of the thread is that there are 2 different configs of AA's 772's in business class. So how good or bad the bulkhead seats are is going to depend on what config you end up on as well as if you're talking about the front or 2nd bulkhead or the window or center section seats.

Short answer is that bulkhead seats in business on the 772, regardless of the config, range from "no different than any other seat" to "some of the best seats on the plane".
Old Dec 31, 2023, 4:43 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes this thread is still going, however the whole point of the thread is that there are 2 different configs of AA's 772's in business class. So how good or bad the bulkhead seats are is going to depend on what config you end up on as well as if you're talking about the front or 2nd bulkhead or the window or center section seats.

Short answer is that bulkhead seats in business on the 772, regardless of the config, range from "no different than any other seat" to "some of the best seats on the plane".
Actually Im not sure. Its the CLT-MUC, I thought it was the new ones. But it looks like it could be either one. The seat map is showing the new ones but could be either I suppose.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Actually Im not sure. Its the CLT-MUC, I thought it was the new ones. But it looks like it could be either one. The seat map is showing the new ones but could be either I suppose.
Yea, take a look at this thread and specifically the 1st post. You won't know which config you're on until 24-48 hrs before yhe flight and even then there can be last minute switches. The seatmaps always show the newer all forward facing setup by default until about 24 hrs before.
TWA884 and cmtlatitudes like this.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 9:02 am
Cax

JJeffrey Thanks. I was wondering if you could expand on which times the bulkhead is better and if the row 1 or row 7 bulkhead is better? Assuming an all forward facing superdiamond cabin, does Row 7 have the most space or Row 1? For backwards facing are Row 1 and Row 7 and the rest of the seats the same? Thank you

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.