Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Barclays Aviator Red will no longer offer the ability to earn EQDs.

AA Barclays Aviator Silver now will only allow earning $3,000 EQD offset by reaching $50,000 spend.

All AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver Mastercard holders were sent out this notification on October 22, 2018 and will typically arrive within 7 to 10 business days. - Barclaycard
https://onemileatatime.com/american-...fying-dollars/

That article says, in part

For 2019 the benefit is being eliminated entirely except for Aviator Silver cardholders who will 3000 elite qualifying dollars after $50,000 spend (instead of earning 6000).

Anyone who signed up for an Aviator Red Mastercard, or upgraded to an Aviator Silver, between January 1 and October 31, 2018 will keep the pre-existing elite qualifying dollars benefit for 2019, and their benefit will change January 1, 2020.

BUT DocD called on 23 Oct to upgrade the Red to Silver and Barclaycard would not do so “because of the upcoming program changes”.
This policy has been verified elsewhere.
Dear 355F1:

Thank you for contacting us regarding your AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite Mastercard. We can certainly address your inquiry regarding the benefit change on your account.

Your AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite Mastercard will earn $3,000 EQDs at $50,000 spend on purchases starting January 1, 2019. This benefit will then apply for all years moving forward until any additional changes are made to the benefits structure. If benefits are changed in the future, Cardmembers will be sent out a letter informing them of the change. All AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver Mastercard holders were sent out this notification on October 22, 2018 and will typically arrive within 7 to 10 business days.

We hope you find this information helpful, and we thank you for your continued business. If you have any other questions or concerns, please reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Customer Care
Member enpremiere posts
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Good news for folks with the Barclay’s AA business card, it seems to have survived this round of EQD benefit cuts and will continue to award 3K EQD for $25K spend!
Print Wikipost

Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Here's the response from Barclay on Twitter.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:05 am

And here's the response from Barclay customer service:

It's fascinating that they haven't "officially" announced these changes, but at least I now have something in writing from them. This will likely be the final nail in the coffin and will cause me to become a FA. 90% of my travel is leisure and I needed all 6000 EQDs from the card in 2018 to re-qualify for EXP.
Attached Images  
pmblinn likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 25, 2018 at 10:39 pm Reason: Edited image to protect privacy, attached to post
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:19 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
ANNNNND their reply:

Dear 355F1:

Thank you for contacting us regarding your AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite Mastercard. We can certainly address your inquiry regarding the benefit change on your account.

Your AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite Mastercard will earn $3,000 EQDs at $50,000 spend on purchases starting January 1, 2019. This benefit will then apply for all years moving forward until any additional changes are made to the benefits structure. If benefits are changed in the future, Cardmembers will be sent out a letter informing them of the change. All AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver Mastercard holders were sent out this notification on October 22, 2018 and will typically arrive within 7 to 10 business days.

We hope you find this information helpful, and we thank you for your continued business. If you have any other questions or concerns, please reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Customer Care

Again, I opened my RED Nov 2017 and upgraded to Silver in Mar 2018. I thought I would get one more year of the $6k EQD at $50k spend but this seems to say NO.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:44 am

only reason to keep is the annual anniversary 10,000 RDM every year on my red card.
airb330 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by j1194
I would beg to differ until we get more info, the business cards T&Cs state the following,

" The Signing Individual may earn $3,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars ("EQDs") after spending $25,000 in net purchases that post to the card account from January 1st through December 31st each calendar year. A Signing Individual may earn the maximum $3,000 EQDs per calendar year through the card account, unless the Signing Individual has already earned the maximum number of EQDs through other AAdvantage® co-branded credit cards."

I hope not, but one could argue the cap is not at 3k total. We don't know the MAX number of EDQs yet.
Effective 2019, I think you'll have a choice. Spend $50,000 on the Silver Elite and earn $3,000 EQD (along with the Elite Qualifying Miles awarded at $20,000 and $40,000 spend); or, spend $25,000 on the Aviator Business card and earn $3,000 EQD.

I don't anticipate the ability to double dip.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Can you apply for a silver directly or still have to get a red first then "qualify" for silver?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dciolli
And here's the response from Barclay customer service:

It's fascinating that they haven't "officially" announced these changes, but at least I now have something in writing from them. This will likely be the final nail in the coffin and will cause me to become a FA. 90% of my travel is leisure and I needed all 6000 EQDs from the card in 2018 to re-qualify for EXP.
They sent me the same drivel. Time to downgrade!

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 25, 2018 at 10:39 pm Reason: Redacted duplicated image
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
"We will be announcing new enhancements in early 2019"
- Barclays/AA

"Ignorance is strength"
- George Orwell
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by frebay
Can you apply for a silver directly or still have to get a red first then "qualify" for silver?
You generally must apply for Red. After 90 days or more, you can “upgrade” to Silver.

Letters announcing these changes were ostensibly sent out:

All AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver Mastercard holders were sent out this notification on October 22, 2018 and will typically arrive within 7 to 10 business days.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by 355F1
Yes.

But they will only grant a maximum of $6k EQDs TOTAL.
Source?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:57 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by nall
Source?
based on previous/current terms, not the upcoming changes.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:47 am

The de-valuing of the American Airlines Barclay Silver card, is just another piece of the long slide down to the bottom..... of what once was the world's greatest Airline. If that is the goal, of most all of the changes AA's made since the merger. My opinion.....may I tell you you are succeeding.

Truly yours, a shareholder, a business Traveler and a loyal-ist to AA. (though not sure for how long. I'm starting to reconsider my loyalty to AA)
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I have to wonder if the Citicard is worth the annual fee as well. I went back and figured out how many not-so-valuable AAdvantage miles my annual fee bought me last year through ticket purchases and I'm really not seeing the value proposition anymore.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
As I'm considering my options, I had two questions I'm hoping can be answered:
  1. If I sign up for another authorized user on my Barclays' card, do their purchases count towards the $50K spend needed to get the EQD's/EQM's?
  2. If the above is a yes, does Barclays' charge any extra for authorized user cards?
  3. Outside of flying and the credit card, are there any other ways to earn EQD's? I believe the answer is no, but I just want to be sure I'm not missing anything.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
I'm just hoping the backlash will create PR nightmare and maybe, just maybe, I won't have to listen to the Barclay's infomercial twice a week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.