Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Barclays Aviator Red will no longer offer the ability to earn EQDs.

AA Barclays Aviator Silver now will only allow earning $3,000 EQD offset by reaching $50,000 spend.

All AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver Mastercard holders were sent out this notification on October 22, 2018 and will typically arrive within 7 to 10 business days. - Barclaycard
https://onemileatatime.com/american-...fying-dollars/

That article says, in part

For 2019 the benefit is being eliminated entirely except for Aviator Silver cardholders who will 3000 elite qualifying dollars after $50,000 spend (instead of earning 6000).

Anyone who signed up for an Aviator Red Mastercard, or upgraded to an Aviator Silver, between January 1 and October 31, 2018 will keep the pre-existing elite qualifying dollars benefit for 2019, and their benefit will change January 1, 2020.

BUT DocD called on 23 Oct to upgrade the Red to Silver and Barclaycard would not do so “because of the upcoming program changes”.
This policy has been verified elsewhere.
Dear 355F1:

Thank you for contacting us regarding your AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite Mastercard. We can certainly address your inquiry regarding the benefit change on your account.

Your AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite Mastercard will earn $3,000 EQDs at $50,000 spend on purchases starting January 1, 2019. This benefit will then apply for all years moving forward until any additional changes are made to the benefits structure. If benefits are changed in the future, Cardmembers will be sent out a letter informing them of the change. All AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver Mastercard holders were sent out this notification on October 22, 2018 and will typically arrive within 7 to 10 business days.

We hope you find this information helpful, and we thank you for your continued business. If you have any other questions or concerns, please reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Customer Care
Member enpremiere posts
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Good news for folks with the Barclay’s AA business card, it seems to have survived this round of EQD benefit cuts and will continue to award 3K EQD for $25K spend!
Print Wikipost

Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
only reason to keep is the annual anniversary 10,000 RDM every year on my red card.
My spouse has this card with the 10K and plans to keep it as long as she continues to receive the 10K.
For the 89.00 fee, the 10K miles and a free checked bag is valuable as a non elite.

I will lose AA status after this year and plan to apply for the Citi AA card for the checked bag benefit and 10% rebate on awards
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
I just got the letter in the mail about this. Will be canceling this card. I use my AmEx Platinum card most frequently, anyway.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
So there's no real benefit to having these Barclaycards anymore.

I'll be putting ALL of my spending on a cash-back card.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Just called Barclay to determine my red to silver upgrade upgrade date (unfortunately, last October) and express my frustration with the the EQD change. Agent actually told me "this was one of the least used benefits" and a "poll of customers recommended this benefit be cut." Not to worry though and I shouldn't cancel my card because they are about to "roll out many exciting new benefits" (date and exact benefits currently unknown).

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Are people really cancelling it? 10k miles for 89 (or 0). I get 20k miles every year and wasn't even charge an annual fee.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Received letter reminding me of my upcoming account anniversary and fee. Also reminder of some of the great benefits of the card (Silver). There is no mention of EQD benefits on the right side column of the letter - only EQM and Companion along with the standard stuff. And no mention (yet) of the change. There is also no mention of the 10% reward rebate (up to 10K miles).

For now I will keep the card but drop my spending on it in half, down to the 50K needed for the 3K EQD.

What are the disadvantages of the Business card which gives 3K EQD at $25K spend?

Last edited by cova; Oct 27, 2018 at 9:00 pm
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by cova
For now I will keep the card but drop my spending on it in half, down to the 50K needed for the 3K EQD.
You'll have to DOUBLE your spending to get to 50k. There was no point to spend more than 50k before after you got your 6k EQD.

Originally Posted by cova
What are the disadvantages of the Business card which gives 3K EQM at $25K spend?
I trust you mean EQD. The big different between Business and Silver is that Silver will give you 10k EQM on the way to $50k spent (5k EQM at $20k and another 5k at $40k). If you have no need for the extra EQM then, yes, Business will get you the same 3k EQD for half the spend (assuming that things don't change there, too).
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
There are two differences. One is the option to earn EQDs. The second option with the Silver card is that the companion certificate applies to two companions instead of one. For me, this is valuable. My trip, this was a savings of about $700.00
Old Oct 27, 2018, 3:26 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I am not seeing a waiver for 2019 for those of us who upgraded to Silver in 2018.

Here is their reply to that question:

​​​​​​Dear 355F1:

Thank you for contacting us regarding your AAdvantage® Aviator® Silver World Elite Ma. We can certainly address your inquiry regarding the benefits on your account.

We apologize for any confusion. The change will not effect the ability to earn up to $6,000.00 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) for 2018. Starting on January 1, 2019 the benefit will change to earning $3,000.00 EQDs for spending $50,000.00.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by MoonOverMiami
I trust you mean EQD. The big different between Business and Silver is that Silver will give you 10k EQM on the way to $50k spent (5k EQM at $20k and another 5k at $40k). If you have no need for the extra EQM then, yes, Business will get you the same 3k EQD for half the spend (assuming that things don't change there, too).
I noticed I received a brochure from Barclay a month or two ago for the Aviator Business Card. Includes 60K sign up bonus after first purchase. It highlights all the benefits and more details in the fine print. No where in the fine print is the $3K EQD at $25K spend mentioned. It is still mentioned in aa.com under AAdvantage then Aviator Business card - but the fact that it is not a feature in the fine print of the brochure tells me it is no longer offering $3K EQD on new Business Mastercards. Maybe those that have it are grandfathered in.

Last edited by cova; Oct 28, 2018 at 8:53 am
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Is it possible to downgrade the Silver to Blue, then apply for a new Red card for the additional bonus miles? Or would downgrading count as closing an account under Barclay?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
I applied for the Aviator Business card last week and in the online terms and conditions were mentioned the $3k EQD for the $25k spend.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:25 pm

Finally received the notification letter (dated Oct 22nd) of the change for the Silver card - $3K EQD at $50K spend.

States "will communicate new product enhancements in early 2010". I am not expecting much.

The letter just highlights 3 main benefits - 10K EQM at spending levels, 3X on flight and 2X on hotels, and the $100 Global Entry fee.

Will keep for now - like having a PIN card that works at international kiosks. May look more seriously at the Business card.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA
Got letter about EQD downgrade, so promptly applied for and got approved for Aviator Business. Came with offer of 60K bonus miles if I used the card by Oct 31. Good timing. Soon enough, I'll cancel the silver.

Citi Exec still useful for Admirals Club and 10K EQM, assuming I spend 25 on the Aviator Business for 3K EQD and 40 on the Citi.

Biggest negative in Citi card: charges by all cardholders (three of us) are unsorted. Over at Barclay, they're neatly separated: you, your lovely daughter, your spendthift spouse. Wish Citi offered that.

Yours for telegraphic brevity.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by JuanTT
Citi Exec still useful for Admirals Club and 10K EQM, assuming I spend 25 on the Aviator Business for 3K EQD and 40 on the Citi.
If you're sticking with the Citi card because of Admirals Club access, I get it. It's a great deal especially with the large number of no-fee AUs. However, from a cost perspective:

Spending $195 in annual fees and putting $50k on Silver gets you the same 10K EQM and 3K EQD as spending $545 in annual fees ($450 + 95) and putting $65k across two cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.