Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Barclays Aviator Red will no longer offer the ability to earn EQDs.

AA Barclays Aviator Silver now will only allow earning $3,000 EQD offset by reaching $50,000 spend.

All AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver Mastercard holders were sent out this notification on October 22, 2018 and will typically arrive within 7 to 10 business days. - Barclaycard
https://onemileatatime.com/american-...fying-dollars/

That article says, in part

For 2019 the benefit is being eliminated entirely except for Aviator Silver cardholders who will 3000 elite qualifying dollars after $50,000 spend (instead of earning 6000).

Anyone who signed up for an Aviator Red Mastercard, or upgraded to an Aviator Silver, between January 1 and October 31, 2018 will keep the pre-existing elite qualifying dollars benefit for 2019, and their benefit will change January 1, 2020.

BUT DocD called on 23 Oct to upgrade the Red to Silver and Barclaycard would not do so “because of the upcoming program changes”.
This policy has been verified elsewhere.
Dear 355F1:

Thank you for contacting us regarding your AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite Mastercard. We can certainly address your inquiry regarding the benefit change on your account.

Your AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite Mastercard will earn $3,000 EQDs at $50,000 spend on purchases starting January 1, 2019. This benefit will then apply for all years moving forward until any additional changes are made to the benefits structure. If benefits are changed in the future, Cardmembers will be sent out a letter informing them of the change. All AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver Mastercard holders were sent out this notification on October 22, 2018 and will typically arrive within 7 to 10 business days.

We hope you find this information helpful, and we thank you for your continued business. If you have any other questions or concerns, please reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Customer Care
Member enpremiere posts
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Good news for folks with the Barclay’s AA business card, it seems to have survived this round of EQD benefit cuts and will continue to award 3K EQD for $25K spend!
Print Wikipost

Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Exclamation Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019

Sorry to be the bearer of bad new :/

AA Barclays Red will no longer offer the ability to earn EQDs. Silver now only lets you earn $3,000 EQD by reaching $50,000 spend.

Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:46 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

A change that I like TBH - however I know some won’t be happy.

Hopefully they can reasses the benefits and offer something of value for those who used the EQD benefits.
garykung and bse118 like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Sorry to be the bearer of bad new :/

AA Barclays Red will no longer offer the ability to earn EQDs. Silver now only lets you earn $3,000 EQD by reaching $50,000 spend.

That article says, in part

For 2019 the benefit is being eliminated entirely except for Aviator Silver cardholders who will 3000 elite qualifying dollars after $50,000 spend (instead of earning 6000).

Anyone who signed up for an Aviator Red Mastercard, or upgraded to an Aviator Silver, between January 1 and October 31, 2018 will keep the pre-existing elite qualifying dollars benefit for 2019, and their benefit will change January 1, 2020.

However anyone that paid the annual fee on a card in, say, June in expectation of using the benefit in 2019 is out of luck with the benefit, and out of luck with the fee. That deserves a complaint to Barclays for changing crucial benefits during the annual fee year.
Member enpremiere posts
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Good news for folks with the Barclay’s AA business card, it seems to have survived this round of EQD benefit cuts and will continue to award 3K EQD for $25K spend!

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 23, 2018 at 9:16 am Reason: Correct typo
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
It aligns more with DL and UA since credit card wont help to make delta diamond (unless a crazy amount) or UA 1k
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
This was the only reason I filtered a majority of spend to my silver card. Looks like I'll be dropping this to the no annual fee version and never using it again.

At least keep the silver spend at $25k for $3k EQD, but $50k makes no sense with all of the other CC options out there.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by golfingboy
A change that I like TBH - however I know some won’t be happy.
My Aviator Red is a grandfathered US product with an annual 10K RDM bonus. Based on my observation, many Aviator Red were forced to be cut because the AFs are no longer waived.

Hope this will change how Barclay grant AF waiver.

Originally Posted by pbd456
It aligns more with DL and UA since credit card wont help to make delta diamond (unless a crazy amount) or UA 1k
Nowhere near.

1. DL/UA does not count partner spending unless ticketed in own stock. AA counts.

2. DL/UA has a M/PQD waiver for international members. AA does not.

3. DL/UA M/PQD credit card waiver is all-or-nothing. AA is partial credit.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by garykung
My Aviator Red is a grandfathered US product with an annual 10K RDM bonus. Based on my observation, many Aviator Red were forced to be cut because the AFs are no longer waived.

Hope this will change how Barclay grant AF waiver.

Nowhere near.

1. DL/UA does not count partner spending unless ticketed in own stock. AA counts.

2. DL/UA has a M/PQD waiver for international members. AA does not.

3. DL/UA M/PQD credit card waiver is all-or-nothing. AA is partial credit.
DL counts partner on other ticket stock.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by pbd456
DL counts partner on other ticket stock.
This is not significant. But you did get my point.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
WOW.... Guess Barclays will lose my 50k+ plus wife's 30k+ spend....... How stupid...
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
If I read this correctly, if I were to sign up for it today, I would get the benefit of the 6000 EQDs for next year since I do not currently have the card. Is that correct? If so, that is a gut punch to existing holders.

Safe Travels
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GTITAN
If I read this correctly, if I were to sign up for it today, I would get the benefit of the 6000 EQDs for next year since I do not currently have the card. Is that correct? If so, that is a gut punch to existing holders.
No.

Everyone gets the same benefit for now - 3000 EQD/$25K spent.

Once the new year, everyone will be devalued.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
I will continue to qualify for EXP, but I'm dumping this card
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
They better get the info out fast about the other upcoming "benefits", otherwise they're going to get a rush of cancellations/downgrades. This was the only benefit that separated this card from Citi so at this point it's worthless.
rvolkcpa and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
This is really bad news in my opinion if accurate. However, I strongly dislike posts such as these provided by Onemileatatime when they do not indicate the source of the information or provide a link to the news. So far when I have gone to American Airlines website on frequent flier program changes I see no information on this nor when I logon to Barclay's website. I also did a google search and didn't find anything from the AA news release site or any other media websites. So is this speculation or was this provided from an insider and it will be released publicly in the near future?
MasterPlanner likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I do not see any information on google news about this, and the OMAT article does not provide a link that I can find.

Edit: Oh the guy above me said the exact same thing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.