Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Barclays Aviator Red will no longer offer the ability to earn EQDs.

AA Barclays Aviator Silver now will only allow earning $3,000 EQD offset by reaching $50,000 spend.

All AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver Mastercard holders were sent out this notification on October 22, 2018 and will typically arrive within 7 to 10 business days. - Barclaycard
https://onemileatatime.com/american-...fying-dollars/

That article says, in part

For 2019 the benefit is being eliminated entirely except for Aviator Silver cardholders who will 3000 elite qualifying dollars after $50,000 spend (instead of earning 6000).

Anyone who signed up for an Aviator Red Mastercard, or upgraded to an Aviator Silver, between January 1 and October 31, 2018 will keep the pre-existing elite qualifying dollars benefit for 2019, and their benefit will change January 1, 2020.

BUT DocD called on 23 Oct to upgrade the Red to Silver and Barclaycard would not do so “because of the upcoming program changes”.
This policy has been verified elsewhere.
Dear 355F1:

Thank you for contacting us regarding your AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite Mastercard. We can certainly address your inquiry regarding the benefit change on your account.

Your AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite Mastercard will earn $3,000 EQDs at $50,000 spend on purchases starting January 1, 2019. This benefit will then apply for all years moving forward until any additional changes are made to the benefits structure. If benefits are changed in the future, Cardmembers will be sent out a letter informing them of the change. All AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver Mastercard holders were sent out this notification on October 22, 2018 and will typically arrive within 7 to 10 business days.

We hope you find this information helpful, and we thank you for your continued business. If you have any other questions or concerns, please reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Customer Care
Member enpremiere posts
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Good news for folks with the Barclay’s AA business card, it seems to have survived this round of EQD benefit cuts and will continue to award 3K EQD for $25K spend!
Print Wikipost

Barclaycard Aviator Red no EQD, Silver $3k EQD Only as of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JuanTT
Got letter about EQD downgrade, so promptly applied for and got approved for Aviator Business. Came with offer of 60K bonus miles if I used the card by Oct 31. Good timing. Soon enough, I'll cancel the silver.

Citi Exec still useful for Admirals Club and 10K EQM, assuming I spend 25 on the Aviator Business for 3K EQD and 40 on the Citi.

Biggest negative in Citi card: charges by all cardholders (three of us) are unsorted. Over at Barclay, they're neatly separated: you, your lovely daughter, your spendthift spouse. Wish Citi offered that.

Yours for telegraphic brevity.
Not sure what level of status you are trying to maintain, but at some point, one should probably sit down and do some math. You are effectively putting $65K through AA cards, which reward you with AA miles, at likely 1 mile/dollar (unless you are buying lots of AA airfare), which are increasingly difficult to use. There are just far, far more valuable travel currencies to put that kind of spend towards...

Regards
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JuanTT
Got letter about EQD downgrade, so promptly applied for and got approved for Aviator Business. Came with offer of 60K bonus miles if I used the card by Oct 31. Good timing. Soon enough, I'll cancel the silver.
Are these stackable - spend $25K on Business Card and $50K on Silver for $6K EQD?

Is there a thread here on FT that lists the credit cards to best charge various categories?
ie AmEX - air fare, Ink - phone bill, etc.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cova
Are these stackable - spend $25K on Business Card and $50K on Silver for $6K EQD?
Apparently not--see post #57 . I saw the same language in the Terms and Conditions for the Business card.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:03 am

So if you currently have a Red card and want to get EQD next year (2019), is the best bet to get the business card? I keep hoping they're going to add it to the Citi Executive card...it's a good buffer to ensure status.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:39 pm

Ugh. I was offered the chance to upgrade to Silver earlier this year but skipped it. One of the reasons I got the Red Aviator over the Citi card was the chance to earn EQDs. Guess I will see if anything else gets added before I decide to cancel.

Last edited by rooberry1; Nov 5, 2018 at 1:55 pm Reason: Typed M not D
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:44 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb

I just noticed this on the Barclays Aviator Biz Site. (I cancelled my biz card literally a week before the loss of EQD announcement and I still have the Silver. .

What is the maximum number of EQDs allowed under other AA Cards mentioned in the first paragraph???

It almost makes it look like the TOTAL EQDs one can earn no matter what is $3k now no matter if you have more than 1 Barclays Card.

Last edited by 355F1; Nov 7, 2018 at 8:50 am
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:40 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Just got off the phone with Barclays.

Since I upgraded my Red to Silver in Feb 2018 she did some research and told me that I will still get $6k EQDs for $50k in spend for 2019; once 2020 hits I will be limited to the $3k EQD for $50k spend.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by pbd456
Are people really cancelling it? 10k miles for 89 (or 0). I get 20k miles every year and wasn't even charge an annual fee.
Um, yeah. Not everyone signed up with the 10K annual renewal so this card will essentially be useless starting 2019. I only keep this card to achieve gold status with 25K spend every year as I'm 100% leisure and not a business or work traveler.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:25 pm

just got my 10k anniversary miles for the annual fee...hopefully will get a fee waiver due to 2018 spend, but there will be zero 2019 spending on it. will keep for the annual 10k though
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I received an email this morning for my Red card - this must the promised "New Benefits and Enhancements!" that were to come after they dropped the EQD benefit. Wow - a whopping 2,500 miles!

Spend $500 with your AAdvantage® Aviator® Red Mastercard® between 11/13/18 and 12/13/18 and you’ll earn 2,500 AAdvantage® miles. That’s in addition to the AAdvantage® miles you are already earning. Your AAdvantage® Aviator® Red Mastercard® rewards you non-stop to get you closer to your next destination.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:31 am
IHG Contributor Badge

My statements cut on the 22md of each month for
my Silver Card.

If I hit the $50k spend mark on Dec 24th, will the EQD bonus hit for 2018 spend? Or will they wait until the Jan statement to give the EQD Bonus and count it for 2019 spend?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I received an email this morning for my Red card - this must the promised "New Benefits and Enhancements!" that were to come after they dropped the EQD benefit. Wow - a whopping 2,500 miles!

Spend $500 with your AAdvantage® Aviator® Red Mastercard® between 11/13/18 and 12/13/18 and you’ll earn 2,500 AAdvantage® miles. That’s in addition to the AAdvantage® miles you are already earning. Your AAdvantage® Aviator® Red Mastercard® rewards you non-stop to get you closer to your next destination.
Ha! One would think that between EQD earning reductions and the gradual general knowledge that AA miles are quite a bit less valuable than sometimes how they are postured, Citi and Barclay AA portfolio growth would start to level off.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear

they also might roll out the Flight Sense pilot test they did last winter and spring 2018 where you could round up your purchases to the whole dollar and in essence buy very cheap RDM miles. It was a decent rate, I think exactly .01 per mile, and I value them greater than that. here is a summary of how it worked That could be an "enhancement" for 2019.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1
My statements cut on the 22md of each month for
my Silver Card.

If I hit the $50k spend mark on Dec 24th, will the EQD bonus hit for 2018 spend? Or will they wait until the Jan statement to give the EQD Bonus and count it for 2019 spend?
if you hit the spend on Dec 24 2018 your EQD will count as part of 2018.
Spend is counted in the last 12 month so dec 24 or Jan 1 would not really make much of difference. What matters is that since it will count towards year 2018 it may help you to achieve a higher status
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Barclays got it right on one of the lines '... a reminder.....'

Originally Posted by dciolli
And here's the response from Barclay customer service:

It's fascinating that they haven't "officially" announced these changes, but at least I now have something in writing from them. This will likely be the final nail in the coffin and will cause me to become a FA. 90% of my travel is leisure and I needed all 6000 EQDs from the card in 2018 to re-qualify for EXP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.