Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Admirals Club access rules for members changed, membership costs increased 1 November 2019.

Changes to membership link to this page on aa.com

Access changes

Starting November 1, 2019

Boarding passes for same-day travel on American Airlines or partner airlines are required for entry.1

1 Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines, marketed and operated by any oneworld® partner carrier, or marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
This is true regardless of membership type, excluding lifetime members. Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® Authorized Users must fulfill the same requirements. (Lifetime Admirals Club members may access Admirals Clubs even if they’re flying non-AA partners, e.g. Southwest, United.)

Declared Business Purposes or rental of a conference facility without a same day boarding pass will not suffice to allow access.

As far as we know, authorized guests accompanying a member do not have to present a same day boarding pass.

No discount is available for a household membership, which will cost $600 regardless of the sponsoring guest’s AAdvantage status.

One Day Passes are available at $59 per person, available for purchase at all Clubs except those where Club refurbishment or construction is going on (currently, ORD and PHL). One Day Passes are not available online.
Print Wikipost

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by taxatty56
Gary Leff of View From the Wing is now reporting that the alleged increase in the fee of the Citi AC card to $550 isn't true based upon what he's been told (as opposed to what Citi told me and others), but he's a bit higher up the industry food chain than me.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...m-dysfunction/
Thanks for the update!

I suspect that the rumor probably started with Citi agents not really knowing what they're talking about and quickly confirming online or elsewhere that Admirals Club pricing was increasing (i.e., confusing the annual fee with the purchased club membership prices). Total speculation on my part, but not that hard to imagine.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:18 pm

UC Access

Originally Posted by Catbert10
If you've been denied entry in this situation, you ran into a lounge dragon who didn't know the rules. The AC in Austin gets uncomfortably crowded in the late afternoon just before the BA AUS-LHR flight. I oftentimes go to the UA club instead. Never had an issue. Ever. And I (jokingly) tell them I'm flying a competitor and I show them my boarding pass.
It's a feature -- not a bug. My boss is pure United and UC. Twice when flying together we've taken a significant excursion (other half of Boston B terminal -- only connection walking across parking garage, separate security) to use the UC (from Air Canada and American). The check-in agent was very familiar with the question and explained the process. Security lets you enter screening if you have any boarding pass and the magic words "United Club". And UC checkin views this as completely routine. As the walk is pretty short though very unsightly and the B terminals are small, very reasonable option in BOS.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
Remember AA is making a BIG push for CC apps. Keeping the Citi card at 450 will push the people who purchase memberships towards the card. It will also make those CC pitches in air appear to have more value if they start to pitch the 450$ one.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Pasqualle7
Remember AA is making a BIG push for CC apps. Keeping the Citi card at 450 will push the people who purchase memberships towards the card. It will also make those CC pitches in air appear to have more value if they start to pitch the 450$ one.
Generally agree with your comments, except as to the CC pitches in the air. At present, AA exclusively promotes the Barclays CCs in the air. Not sure when that agreement will be revisited.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by johnstafford
It's a feature -- not a bug. My boss is pure United and UC. Twice when flying together we've taken a significant excursion (other half of Boston B terminal -- only connection walking across parking garage, separate security) to use the UC (from Air Canada and American). The check-in agent was very familiar with the question and explained the process. Security lets you enter screening if you have any boarding pass and the magic words "United Club". And UC checkin views this as completely routine. As the walk is pretty short though very unsightly and the B terminals are small, very reasonable option in BOS.
Alas, now that UA was the only non-restricted access left, they've announced they'll be matching DL and AA starting Nov 1, 2019, requiring United Club members or onetime pass holders to be on a UA/*a/partner flight.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Alas, now that UA was the only non-restricted access left, they've announced they'll be matching DL and AA starting Nov 1, 2019, requiring United Club members or onetime pass holders to be on a UA/*a/partner flight.
I guess this is a bit of a push for the benefit of a Priority Pass backup with all three of the majors imposing the same restrictions.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
I was about to post that:
United Club terms and conditions

Admittance

Effective November 1, 2019, United Club customers, including members and their guests, must provide a same-day arrival and/or departure boarding pass in the customer’s name on a United or Star Alliance partner operated flight for entry into all United Club locations. United reserves the right to extend access to customers traveling on partner carriers with whom United holds commercial agreements outside of Star Alliance.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Come 2020 Priority Pass will increase it's fee to be higher than AA, DL and UA since they will have boasting rights of getting it's members into "any Lounge". Just saying...
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Come 2020 Priority Pass will increase it's fee to be higher than AA, DL and UA since they will have boasting rights of getting it's members into "any Lounge". Just saying...
Sarcasm right? Priority pass in the US is less than stellar lounge wise, and access is often refused (like at many AS lounges). They have been doing a good job at adding restaurants, but those do not provide all the benefits of a lounge.
taxatty56 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by Teckelspass

Sarcasm right? Priority pass in the US is less than stellar lounge wise, and access is often refused (like at many AS lounges). They have been doing a good job at adding restaurants, but those do not provide all the benefits of a lounge.
True.. intended it to be a bit of sarcasm indeed. But now that you've pointed out other benefits of the program, it's just a matter of time before the bean counters realize what they have access to indeed.

BTW, I just renewed my AC membership that's set to expired Jan 3, 2019 at the "old" rate after receiving the notification email, Maybe it's time I explore other options as well.

Last edited by Zacnlinc; Nov 5, 2018 at 1:18 pm
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Let's get our facts straight:

Access requirements and eligibility information:

A valid United Club membership card and boarding pass for same-day travel

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx

United does not require that the boarding pass be on UA or a partner. HUGE DIFFERENCE.
They will after Nov 1, 2019.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, HILTON PLAT
Club Access on Inbound AA

Originally Posted by AAdamE
I confirmed with them that you CAN enter the lounge at your arrival airport as long as you flew on an eligible flight that day and you do not need to get back through security.

I arrived on an AA flight into CLT yesterday and popped into the Club as I usually do for a quick pit stop and cup of coffee before heading to my car. When I presented my inbound boarding pass, I was informed that this would not be allowed as of November 1. I didn't argue, but fingers crossed everyone is up to speed by the fall.

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but the Club terms and conditions have been updated with a footnote to Admittance section to reflect "Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines..."
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Being able to visit the lounge before a flight is a nice option, but one I rarely take advantage of. More often than not, I’m pulling into the O’Hare parking lot only minutes before boarding!

I fly mostly direct flights, so I don’t get much use on layovers.

Usually when I experience IRROPS, it’s late in the evening and the lounge might already be closed!

Where I get significant value from my membership is after my flight. I like to stop in to use the restroom, check messages, answer emails, grab a tea and do whatever else to clear my head before getting in a car and heading off to my next appointment (or home, office, etc).

Losing arrival access to the Admiral’s Club would be a real bummer.
_kurt likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by jspatchwork
I arrived on an AA flight into CLT yesterday and popped into the Club as I usually do for a quick pit stop and cup of coffee before heading to my car. When I presented my inbound boarding pass, I was informed that this would not be allowed as of November 1. I didn't argue, but fingers crossed everyone is up to speed by the fall.

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but the Club terms and conditions have been updated with a footnote to Admittance section to reflect "Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines..."
What the agent told you was 100% WRONG. As you pointed out, the Admirals Club page clearly says "any departing or arriving flight"
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...lub-access.jsp

I think many people would agree the arrival access is sometimes as beneficial as departure, so that would be a huge takeaway... thankfully, seems to just be one uneducated agent (for now).
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
United did this already several years ago. How many people in the grand scheme of things are going to be 1. flying a different airline than AA as a top tier flyer and more importantly 2. going to be anywhere remotely near an AC when flying another airline?

I think it's a great idea in crowd thinning.
Sorry guys,

I'm late to the thread. I was initially outraged by them taking lounge access from me, if im not flying AA. Especially since im paying out of pocket for use of the lounge. But the above poster makes a lot of sense. Im almost exclusively a AA or partner flyer. The times I am not flying AA I am probably in a terminal far away from where the AA lounge is. I think in my 12 non AA flights last year I dont think I ever used the AA lounge, just usually wasn't practical. Now that I have centurion club access and priority pass I will typically always have lounge access, and am not tied to AA.

I thought that pretty much everyone in the club was flying AA that day, but based on the responses it seems a lot of people were just chillin in the lounge and flying someone else. I didn't much see a problem with that, but some lounges were unbelievably crowded. If this can alleviate some of that I am all for it. Now if the lounges are just as crowded come November and December, I will be extremely confused why they made this move.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.