Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Admirals Club access rules for members changed, membership costs increased 1 November 2019.

Changes to membership link to this page on aa.com

Access changes

Starting November 1, 2019

Boarding passes for same-day travel on American Airlines or partner airlines are required for entry.1

1 Any departing or arriving flight: marketed or operated by American Airlines, marketed and operated by any oneworld® partner carrier, or marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines
This is true regardless of membership type, excluding lifetime members. Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® Authorized Users must fulfill the same requirements. (Lifetime Admirals Club members may access Admirals Clubs even if they’re flying non-AA partners, e.g. Southwest, United.)

Declared Business Purposes or rental of a conference facility without a same day boarding pass will not suffice to allow access.

As far as we know, authorized guests accompanying a member do not have to present a same day boarding pass.

No discount is available for a household membership, which will cost $600 regardless of the sponsoring guest’s AAdvantage status.

One Day Passes are available at $59 per person, available for purchase at all Clubs except those where Club refurbishment or construction is going on (currently, ORD and PHL). One Day Passes are not available online.
Print Wikipost

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA, onePass
Teckelspass.. you are correct....I have no idea what my eyes and brain were thinking with that chart....however it was what spurred me to call Citi....and the rep put me on hold until she checked it out.... I guess we will see.

Scubadu...... we did not purposely manufacture frivolous expenditures for that 40k....we simply put any and every expenditure we make/have on CC’s anyway.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by nalismom
Teckelspass.. you are correct....I have no idea what my eyes and brain were thinking with that chart....however it was what spurred me to call Citi....and the rep put me on hold until she checked it out.... I guess we will see.

Scubadu...... we did not purposely manufacture frivolous expenditures for that 40k....we simply put any and every expenditure we make/have on CC’s anyway.
Thanks for the clarification. Let’s hope it was just a misinformed Citi rep
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage - PLT Pro, United Premier PLT, HHonors - Diamond, National - Ex. Elite
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
I only flew another carrier once in 2017/2018. That's not abuse if I do it occasionally. Maybe I got a tummy ache. Maybe I changed my mind and went home.
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
As it is lines getting the AC (LAX T4 in particular) can be long. Now you are going to need to show a BP on your phone as swiping one's card. Then there will be those fiddling around trying to find their paper BPs.
No more fiddling than the people too cool to use the paper. I fly a lot. And I always have my paper boarding pass. Electronic is strictly backup. And pretty much every day some cool guy in front of me is holding up the line beamcause his **** phone timed out. Ridiculous.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Airrage
No more fiddling than the people too cool to use the paper. I fly a lot. And I always have my paper boarding pass. Electronic is strictly backup. And pretty much every day some cool guy in front of me is holding up the line beamcause his **** phone timed out. Ridiculous.
I agree. I also get my secretary to print out all the Flyertalk threads and use my Dictaphone to compose the responses so she can put them in the online. That way none of my posts have any of the typos or misspellings that these kids writing messages on their iPhones subject us all to.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by peterk814
Incorrect. For example, if you are a UA Club member and flying AA you cannot get access to the UA club lounge. Now, they may not check your boarding pass and you might get overlooked, but if they ask and you show them an AA boarding pass, you will not be allowed into the club.
If you've been denied entry in this situation, you ran into a lounge dragon who didn't know the rules. The AC in Austin gets uncomfortably crowded in the late afternoon just before the BA AUS-LHR flight. I oftentimes go to the UA club instead. Never had an issue. Ever. And I (jokingly) tell them I'm flying a competitor and I show them my boarding pass.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Teckelspass
Other than what the Citi phone rep said, is there any other evidence of a fee increase? Citi and AA websites still show $450.
A CIti online chat rep confirmed to me the increase next year to $550. I don't think Citi is about to publicize it.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by taxatty56
A CIti online chat rep confirmed to me the increase next year to $550. I don't think Citi is about to publicize it.
Thanks for another DP.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by taxatty56
Just for kicks, I just live chatted with Citi. The rep said that there was presently no info regarding a fee increase on the Citi Executive card. I even mentioned that a "friend" had heard differently from another Citi live chat rep, but she insisted there was no such info.

My account does not disprove the info you got. Merely, that I'm not sure what weight we can give any statement from a Citi rep
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Just for kicks, I just live chatted with Citi. The rep said that there was presently no info regarding a fee increase on the Citi Executive card. I even mentioned that a "friend" had heard differently from another Citi live chat rep, but she insisted there was no such info.

My account does not disprove the info you got. Merely, that I'm not sure what weight we can give any statement from a Citi rep
It is coming no way it isn't. Who would pay $100 more for a membership and not get all the benefits of the citi card?

Face it, increased food offerings, increased cost. Parker isn't going to eat that cost it will be passed on to us.

There is nothing as a free lunch (or in AC's case, turkey meatballs).
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:17 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
In terms of "real $", the most expensive thing the ACs have is raspberries and blackberries (as much as $5/pint in the supermarket) and hard boiled eggs, but only at breakfast time. The other "stuff" is just cheap filler-ups for your stomach.
enviroian and Teckelspass like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
It is coming no way it isn't. Who would pay $100 more for a membership and not get all the benefits of the citi card?

Face it, increased food offerings, increased cost. Parker isn't going to eat that cost it will be passed on to us.

There is nothing as a free lunch (or in AC's case, turkey meatballs).
LOL, I agree with all your points. The only obstacle I see is the competition. The premium co-branded products offered by Chase and Amex for United and Delta respectively are still $450, so AA/Citi would be forging ahead on their own. (Of course, if they do this, the others may follow). Also, I do foresee plenty of cancellations at the new price point, because of the many other competitive card products out there at that price. But who knows.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
LOL, I agree with all your points. The only obstacle I see is the competition. The premium co-branded products offered by Chase and Amex for United and Delta respectively are still $450, so AA/Citi would be forging ahead on their own. (Of course, if they do this, the others may follow). Also, I do foresee plenty of cancellations at the new price point, because of the many other competitive card products out there at that price. But who knows.
Keep in mind though, those two competing cards you mention (United and Delta) do not allow authorized users to access the clubs without the primary. AA/Citi could make the case that the generous treatment of authorized users is of value. And in some sense, I agree, but still on the fence if I'd renew at $550. My wife and I often travel separately for work, so this matters. If we changed our allegiance to UA or DL, we'd each need to have to the card.

Regards
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by nrr
In terms of "real $", the most expensive thing the ACs have is raspberries and blackberries (as much as $5/pint in the supermarket) and hard boiled eggs, but only at breakfast time. The other "stuff" is just cheap filler-ups for your stomach.
True.

However I do love their chicken curry soup!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nalismom
No worries, I wasn't implying that you were. My point is that that amount of spend on other cards would get you much, much better travel value for your dollars than acquiring AAdvantage miles. To me that value would exceed AA Gold.

But again, to each their own, you don't need to justify the approach to me.

Regards
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by nrr
Hard Boiled Eggs - in a foodserivce pack of 20# tub (~200-220 eggs), your per egg cost is roughly $0.12-0.15 per egg.

Unless the AC hard boiled eggs are from golden chickens, their "food cost" on this item is well within the norm.

Now, labor cost on the other hand..... that is something I could see being a cost driver in recent years, especially in states like CA where minimum wage is significantly higher than the rest of the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.