Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Action against unprincipled passenger?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
You never asked for upgrade, or fee waived, or anything that is equivalent to swap for lessor value?
Just say no and move on. No need to be snide.
Do *you* find, say, a diner at a restaurant and ask them if they'd like to swap their more expensive meal for you lower cost one, because that's what you're effectively saying there. Asking the airline is one thing. Asking a pax is another thing entirely.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
Do *you* find, say, a diner at a restaurant and ask them if they'd like to swap their more expensive meal for you lower cost one, because that's what you're effectively saying there. Asking the airline is one thing. Asking a pax is another thing entirely.
I don’t. But if someone asked another diner to swap his meals, and the diner is willing, either out of stupidity or respectful of adult, it doesn’t matter. I wouldn’t make a big deal about it and tell the restaurant to keep track of the other patron. Don’t create a mountain when there isn’t a molehill.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by BOStonTravels

And the CK just arrived!
You are so clever!
BOStonTravels likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by deac83
And I would have laughed in his face if he asked me.
Really? Can't we all just be a little nicer? What's wrong with, "No, thanks, I prefer to stay where I am."?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Really? Can't we all just be a little nicer? What's wrong with, "No, thanks, I prefer to stay where I am."?
Or offer to go back to economy and ask the person sitting next to CK's wife if they would mind changing seats with CK in PE so that CK could come back and sit with his family
mules likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Or offer to go back to economy and ask the person sitting next to CK's wife if they would mind changing seats with CK in PE so that CK could come back and sit with his family
Exactly. The acceptable code of conduct is that the person initiating the trade must be the one offering something of equal or BETTER value for the person being asked to move. It is completely rude to ask someone to downgrade for you or your companions' benefit. Even within the back of the plane in coach, it is rude to ask someone to move to your middle seat if they have an aisle (or window) seat. And no, I don't think most 16 year olds yet have fully developed the social grace and guts to stand their ground to an older adult in this type of situation. The social anxiety that defines a teenager's entire mental state is still pretty strong at that age. This is a classical case of bullying, and many kids would rather back down and 'agree' to the downgrade just to avoid having to stand up to a bully.
ESPECIALROB, Gerbs and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by r415
I'm not saying the CK wasn't a jerk, but it seems a little over-the-top to treat a 16-year-old like a 8-year old. A few hundred years ago 16-year-olds were considered full "adults", responsible for providing for their families, protecting their household, etc. It's only our current society that places this magical arbitrary limit that you can't make decisions for yourself at 16 or 17, but you're suddenly in full possession of your faculties at 18. This is just disrespectful to 16-year-olds. Most 16-year-olds are quite capable of making these sorts of decisions on their own. Those that are not probably are not particularly respectful of adults either...

Also, the age of consent in the majority of states in the US is 16. Are you saying a 16-year-old can make decisions about procreation but not about whether they want to sit in premium economy?

Ironic that my youngest turns 16 today. My experience of being a 16 year old, being around 16 year olds and raising two that have reached that age tells me that they are far from a finished product. There's a bigger difference from 16 to 18 than there is 18-20. Ever try to take your kid shopping for a car? They won't allow anyone under 18 to test drive or buy one due to the inability to enforce contracts. Yes, there are mature 16 year olds. There are probably more immature 18 year olds.

One lesson I have to continually teach my two kids is to stand your ground and fight for what you feel is right. It's an ongoing battle. Kids this age don't want confrontation with adults (unless with their parents ). They would rather acquiesce than one part of an "embarrassing" scene, regardless of who is right. Bottom line is the CK is a dingus. If sitting with his family mattered so much he would've traded his PE with a Y passenger.
ESPECIALROB, Gerbs, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Arrow

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Ironic that my youngest turns 16 today. My experience of being a 16 year old, being around 16 year olds and raising two that have reached that age tells me that they are far from a finished product. There's a bigger difference from 16 to 18 than there is 18-20. Ever try to take your kid shopping for a car? They won't allow anyone under 18 to test drive or buy one due to the inability to enforce contracts. Yes, there are mature 16 year olds. There are probably more immature 18 year olds.

One lesson I have to continually teach my two kids is to stand your ground and fight for what you feel is right. It's an ongoing battle. Kids this age don't want confrontation with adults (unless with their parents ). They would rather acquiesce than one part of an "embarrassing" scene, regardless of who is right. Bottom line is the CK is a dingus. If sitting with his family mattered so much he would've traded his PE with a Y passenger.
Exactly. Some of the people posting in this thread clearly have little to no knowledge of brain development (biology). Yes, hundreds of years ago (and even today) kids were child parents and soldiers but that doesnt somehow equate with them being competent or capable (or that it was/is even remotely appropriate). I see hundreds of young people in their twenties who came back from Iraq and Afghanistan, highly trained and decorated (for whatever thats worth) who are not remotely capable of processing what they went through and their lives will never ever be the same, in other words a good percentage will be impaired for the rest of their lives. Just because some moron or pedophile US lawmaker decides 18 is a magic age for going to be an adult in a war (but not old enough to have a beer) or that at age 14 a child can give consent for sex with a 50 year old doesnt mean its based on science or that its right...

I dont need to know many more details to understand that the CK likely has cluster B tendencies and as others have pointed out does not have the insight or empathy to really grapple with their behavior. People like that must be consequenced (as the FA did very appropriately) with firm, direct limits.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Exactly. The acceptable code of conduct is that the person initiating the trade must be the one offering something of equal or BETTER value for the person being asked to move. It is completely rude to ask someone to downgrade for you or your companions' benefit.
No, anyone can ask for anything. The person being asked is free to decline. But I'm under no obligation to verify that my offer will provide the person I ask with something of equal or greater value. And what are the criteria for determining value? Different people value different things differently. When AA used to fly that older configuration (767s?) with 2-3-2 in J, I would often prefer to sit on an aisle in Y rather than a center seat in J.
BOStonTravels likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bottom line is the CK is a dingus.
Now, there's a word I haven't heard since *I* was 16!
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Wonder what percentage of CKs are FT users/readers .....
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Wonder what percentage of CKs are FT users/readers .....
23.7%
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Or, "Only if you reimburse us for the fare difference and give us downgrade compensation."
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:12 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.

I agree with you 100%. I have a senior in college who hates to fly in middle seats. If I can't book her an aisle or a window on some flights I will buy her a window. Several times others have taken her seat leaving her with a middle and she will sit there rather than cause what my kids would describe as an awkward and embarrassing situation. This is what happens when you cross my type A personality with my wife's good southern upbringing. My older one has grown out of it and will now ask you if you are in the correct seat.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
No, anyone can ask for anything. The person being asked is free to decline. But I'm under no obligation to verify that my offer will provide the person I ask with something of equal or greater value. And what are the criteria for determining value? Different people value different things differently. When AA used to fly that older configuration (767s?) with 2-3-2 in J, I would often prefer to sit on an aisle in Y rather than a center seat in J.
Yes, anyone can be an dingus and ask anything. But polite behavior is different, and polite behavior is to not ask someone to downgrade. And it is very widely considered that middle is less than aisle or window, mce better than regular coach, pe is better than mce, j better than pe, f better than j. That leaves grey areas and preferences, but this isn't one of those cases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.