Wiki Posts
Search

Action against unprincipled passenger?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by mvoight
I missed how the FA is at fault. The FA didn't know whether or not they knew each other. The FA didn't downgrade the kids, they were asked by the passenger if they would swap
Her superior was furious with her, hence the 20k mile credit per passenger and a comment that she was going to follow-up when they landed on getting additional comp. I can't explain why she was so frustrated with her colleague but she saw something wrong with the action, or inaction. Again, he isn't looking for anything and thought AA handled it great. I posted this because I thought it was a unique situation that I hadn't seen discussed on FT. We see the same things drummed up over and over here ,not excluding myself, I've asked a number of questions that were likely repeated in a dozen variations at some point.

I was more curious than actually expecting any kind of further action.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by mvoight
I missed how the FA is at fault. The FA didn't know whether or not they knew each other. The FA didn't downgrade the kids, they were asked by the passenger if they would swap
Originally Posted by jmail1
If the Y flight attendant hadn't participated in moving them back to their new Y seats I'd even think giving the additional miles would have been a bit excessive. For the person that commented on her thinking they knew each other and agreed on it that absolutely wasn't the case, she complemented the kids on being kind enough to let a family sit together.
Does this help clarify why the FA was at fault?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
I appreciate your concern but the thread is about an adult "punking" children... Complaining about every "punking" incident by AA is not going to get you anything. Complaining to an airline about being "punked" by another customer, even less. Unfortunately, OP's friend is about to realize if this if they pursue this...
Who said that the purpose of complaining is to obtain something for yourself? Perhaps you missed the section of my post that stated that the purpose of a complaint can be merely to establish a record which may or may not prove significant at some future date to some other person.
jmail1 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Also, it sounds to me like the CK was in PE and the two kids were next to him and he asked them to swap with his wife and kid in the back? It's very possible (likely?) that he would have asked anyone, adult or kid, seated next to him to swap, and he just got lucky being seated next to a couple of gullible kids who were more likely than adults to agree to the swap. I don't think it's fair to suggest that he specifically targeted the kids for chicanery.
Exactly. If people are complaining that the CK is too cheap to put his wife and kid in Y while he´s in PE and then asked for swap, then OP is too cheap to put himself and wife in J while kids in PE. CK doesn´t know OP paid $400 to put his kids in PE. Those kids could be in PE for free. It goes both way. Maybe OP should have told the kids that those things aren´t free and if they give them up, then it´s on them. Would OP be angry if they swap their lunch/toys for something of less value? Who will give miles in that case?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
Exactly. If people are complaining that the CK is too cheap to put his wife and kid in Y while he´s in PE and then asked for swap, then OP is too cheap to put himself and wife in J while kids in PE. CK doesn´t know OP paid $400 to put his kids in PE. Those kids could be in PE for free. It goes both way. Maybe OP should have told the kids that those things aren´t free and if they give them up, then it´s on them. Would OP be angry if they swap their lunch/toys for something of less value? Who will give miles in that case?
I don’t see anyone complaining that the CK was too cheap being the problem, so I’m not sure exactly what goes both ways here.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Her superior was furious with her, hence the 20k mile credit per passenger and a comment that she was going to follow-up when they landed on getting additional comp. I can't explain why she was so frustrated with her colleague but she saw something wrong with the action, or inaction. Again, he isn't looking for anything and thought AA handled it great. I posted this because I thought it was a unique situation that I hadn't seen discussed on FT. We see the same things drummed up over and over here ,not excluding myself, I've asked a number of questions that were likely repeated in a dozen variations at some point.

I was more curious than actually expecting any kind of further action.
<redacted>

Curious to hear if your friend received anything more than a boilerplate email response from AA. After all, accepting the miles/refund/downgrade, etc. releases any potential claims against AA which of course obviates the need for any kind of post-encounter "record"...

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 29, 2018 at 12:34 pm Reason: Redacted unfriendly bit
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Also, it sounds to me like the CK was in PE and the two kids were next to him and he asked them to swap with his wife and kid in the back? It's very possible (likely?) that he would have asked anyone, adult or kid, seated next to him to swap, and he just got lucky being seated next to a couple of gullible kids who were more likely than adults to agree to the swap. I don't think it's fair to suggest that he specifically targeted the kids for chicanery.
And I would have laughed in his face if he asked me. Pretty bold to ask people to swap for lessor value.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: RFC
They didn't make a big to-do about how much the seat upgrades were so I doubt the kids understood the big difference between PE and Y, even though they'd flown it on the way out.
As a side note, it possibly bears mentioning that there's a better than even chance the FA didn't realize/know that the PE seats were a different class and cost substantially more; there've been several threads where it's mentioned (and ppl saying they're FA saying it too) that the FA's have had no training on the product. I expect a good number of them just think it's some sort of "international MCE" and therefore "Only a few dollars more".
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by deac83
And I would have laughed in his face if he asked me. Pretty bold to ask people to swap for lessor value.
You haven't met your average CK have you? Or anyone from FT, for that matter?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:09 am

And I would have laughed in his face if he asked me.
you're likely not a teenager.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
I sure hope the CheapsKate reads this thread and eats the abuse sandwich!

(not unreasonable odds that he is on FT)
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:57 am

You never asked for upgrade, or fee waived, or anything that is equivalent to swap for lessor value?
Just say no and move on. No need to be snide.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:06 am

I don’t see anyone complaining that the CK was too cheap being the problem, so I’m not sure exactly what goes both ways here.
Your friends brought sundaes from J to PE for the kids. And had the nerve to complaint about some guy doing the same for his wife and kid? LOL. Today it´s sundae, tomorrow, what will it be?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:45 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
Your friends brought sundaes from J to PE for the kids. And had the nerve to complaint about some guy doing the same for his wife and kid? LOL. Today it´s sundae, tomorrow, what will it be?
And the CK just arrived!
deeruck likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Exactly. Kids that age are easily manipulated. My kids would probably make the swap as they feel it might be rude of them not to. We teach kids to respect adults....and then adults do this crap.
I'm not saying the CK wasn't a jerk, but it seems a little over-the-top to treat a 16-year-old like a 8-year old. A few hundred years ago 16-year-olds were considered full "adults", responsible for providing for their families, protecting their household, etc. It's only our current society that places this magical arbitrary limit that you can't make decisions for yourself at 16 or 17, but you're suddenly in full possession of your faculties at 18. This is just disrespectful to 16-year-olds. Most 16-year-olds are quite capable of making these sorts of decisions on their own. Those that are not probably are not particularly respectful of adults either...

Also, the age of consent in the majority of states in the US is 16. Are you saying a 16-year-old can make decisions about procreation but not about whether they want to sit in premium economy?

Last edited by r415; Jul 30, 2018 at 1:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.