Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Action against unprincipled passenger?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: Delta; BA; Marriott; Hilton; Best Western; Emirates
I would keep my cool, but towards the end of the flight I would stroll back to see said gentleman, and quietly tell him I think that he is a <redaction>. I would also tell him that on landing I am considering whether I tell the Spanish police that he verbally abused and threatened my children, to make them move. That would give him food for thought.
arollins and Silver Fox like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 31, 2018 at 7:49 am Reason: Rule 17
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
An aside to this tale is the father who thought it was okay to bring his children ice cream, a treat to which they clearly were not entitled due to their seat status.

This is just as bad as someone in FC or J bringing drinks back to their friends in Y. Why did he think his children should get sundaes when no one else back there was? Dad was also taking advantage, though, perhaps, to a lesser degree than Mr CK.
"Perhaps" to a lesser degree?

I actually think there's a difference between the sundae and drinks--drinks are unlimited in J and available for pay in lower cabins. I presume that the parents just relinquished their sundaes to their kids, leading to the exact same sundae consumption on board that there would otherwise be. This seems...fine. In any case, it is not even comparable to giving up a premium economy seat for a Y seat.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An aside to this tale is the father who thought it was okay to bring his children ice cream, a treat to which they clearly were not entitled due to their seat status.

This is just as bad as someone in FC or J bringing drinks back to their friends in Y.
No, it's not remotely the same thing.
jmail1, enviroian, abk and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days

This is just as bad as someone in FC or J bringing drinks back to their friends in Y. Why did he think his children should get sundaes when no one else back there was? Dad was also taking advantage, though, perhaps, to a lesser degree than Mr CK.
When I couldn't get my colleague upgraded on JFK-LAX or reverse flights, I would always bring the sundae back (which was much appreciated) as they were ice cream junkies.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy

I don’t. But if someone asked another diner to swap his meals, and the diner is willing, either out of stupidity or respectful of adult, it doesn’t matter. I wouldn’t make a big deal about it and tell the restaurant to keep track of the other patron. Don’t create a mountain when there isn’t a molehill.
Except it was a MINOR. There is a reason there are innumerable laws protecting children from the bad behavior of adults.

If this was a pair of adults, this thread would not exist. The CK (who, I assume, is you?) manipulated children to gain value for his own family, at their expense.
C17PSGR and Silver Fox like this.

Last edited by Jay103; Jul 31, 2018 at 8:03 am
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:21 am

Where's the thumbs down button?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by r415

Also, the age of consent in the majority of states in the US is 16. Are you saying a 16-year-old can make decisions about procreation but not about whether they want to sit in premium economy?
This. They can get a driver’s license and make decisions about where and when to drive, yet they can’t decide whether to swap a seat on an airplane? A 16 year-old is almost old enough to enlist (with parental consent), yet God forbid if he decides where he wants to seat on a plane!

Real issue is daddy bought a really fancy upgrade and the kids went about to waste it. Daddy is furious and wants to throw it at the FAs and the other passenger and grab some miles and extra perks.

A man wanted to fly next to his wife and young daughter; asked his fellows passengers if they could swap seats; they obliged. Instead of supporting a generous and selfless attitude, daddy is teaching his kids how to be selfish and inconsiderate of others.

Had the kids paid for the upgrade out of their own pockets or summer job money, they probably wouldn’t have obliged, as most of us wouldn’t. They did — lesson learned to be taught at home, not on the plane.
5DMarkIIguy likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: UA GS & 3MM, HHONORS Diamond
A life lesson learned

At least the children hopefully learned that some adults will try to take advantage of them. Reminds me of the man who was taking the shopping cart away from my daughter at Costco - she let it go because he asked for it even though she was on her way bringing it to us.
jmail1 and C17PSGR like this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.
Real issue is daddy bought a really fancy upgrade and the kids went about to waste it. Daddy is furious and wants to throw it at the FAs and the other passenger and grab some miles and extra perks.
Ah, no, it's not.

Kid got taken advantage of by a DB passenger.
Insulator-King likes this.

Last edited by enviroian; Jul 31, 2018 at 10:14 am Reason: deleted so JDiver doesn't throw section 12.1 at me again LOL
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent

I would agree if he'd not asked the FA before he did it. Explained to him the point of why it's not part of the deal and he understood. I know technically it's the same thing as bringing a friend back a glass of wine, snack, etc.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.

This. They can get a driver’s license and make decisions about where and when to drive, yet they can’t decide whether to swap a seat on an airplane? A 16 year-old is almost old enough to enlist (with parental consent), yet God forbid if he decides where he wants to seat on a plane!

A man wanted to fly next to his wife and young daughter; asked his fellows passengers if they could swap seats; they obliged. Instead of supporting a generous and selfless attitude, daddy is teaching his kids how to be selfish and inconsiderate of others.

Had the kids paid for the upgrade out of their own pockets or summer job money, they probably wouldn’t have obliged, as most of us wouldn’t. They did — lesson learned to be taught at home, not on the plane.
Did you even bother to read the thread? He didn't ask for anything, other than to have his kids return to their seats. I am the one who was asking about noting the CK record and only as it relates to those Helix scores that AA uses to determine if you get special treatment. I was asking more out of curiosity than anything. I'll say it again, he asked for nothing, the FA proactively offered everything he got.

I do need to make an update as I was talking to him again and missed part of the story. They did initiate the transfer but it was a bit more complicated and didn't happen. The CK had two more relatives sitting in J, and the two that moved next to him in PE. When the FA started to make them switch back the CK went to the J section and told his traveling party "Come on, they are making us move, etc." He was making such a big ordeal of it that my friend went back to his kids and asked them about moving. His daughter was mortified at the attention and commotion and told him they'd just stay put to avoid doing the swap. Not exactly sure why the CK was making whoever was traveling with his party in J move back to Y instead of the wife/daughter he upgraded to PE from Y.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1 Million/Gold, AA EXP 3mm, Hilton/Marriott/Starwood Gold
Did AA do enough?

While AA did what it should here and there is not much more OP can reasonably do, AA may we’ll do one more thing no one will see. There is an internal AA customer rating (an “Eagle” score of 1-5) independent of AAdvantage status that is used to determine how far out of the way AA will go when something goes awry. It can be adjusted plus or minus based on things like this. Usually plus if they disservice you and think you are at risk of going elsewhere, but minus in various situations too. Most Executive Platinums are around 3 (sounds like the guy is at least that). Since it’s an entirely internal rating and you really need inside connections even to find out what it is, I would not be at all surprised if the FA report resulted in a deduction for this jerk. Meaning AA may leave him stranded overnight in some future trip when they could have helped him. Hope they do that!
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:08 am
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by hotelexec
While AA did what it should here and there is not much more OP can reasonably do, AA may we’ll do one more thing no one will see. There is an internal AA customer rating (an “Eagle” score of 1-5) independent of AAdvantage status that is used to determine how far out of the way AA will go when something goes awry. It can be adjusted plus or minus based on things like this. Usually plus if they disservice you and think you are at risk of going elsewhere, but minus in various situations too. Most Executive Platinums are around 3 (sounds like the guy is at least that). Since it’s an entirely internal rating and you really need inside connections even to find out what it is, I would not be at all surprised if the FA report resulted in a deduction for this jerk. Meaning AA may leave him stranded overnight in some future trip when they could have helped him. Hope they do that!
False hope for the OP-- clever!
5DMarkIIguy likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Jay103
Except it was a MINOR. There is a reason there are innumerable laws protecting children from the bad behavior of adults.

If this was a pair of adults, this thread would not exist. The CK (who, I assume, is you?) manipulated children to gain value for his own family, at their expense.
The adult asked if they can switch seats because they want to sit together as a family. Don´t you wish you can manipulate a 16 yo that easily? One or two questions, and they´d do what you ask? Good lord, get a gripe of reality.
No, I´m not the CK.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by nntman
At least the children hopefully learned that some adults will try to take advantage of them. Reminds me of the man who was taking the shopping cart away from my daughter at Costco - she let it go because he asked for it even though she was on her way bringing it to us.
And I assume she came to you empty handed? And then you asked, where is the cart? And she said someone took it away from her? And the lesson is someone took it away from her? Should it be, well, if someone took something from you, you either take it back, or you go and get a replacement? And if there was a replacement, how do you even know about it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.