Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Action against unprincipled passenger?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
No, it's not remotely the same thing.
What is not remotely the same thing? Someone bringing sundae from J to Y and someone bringing drinks from J to Y? I think you donīt know what remotely mean.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Despite a few AA trips in the last few years, as I live "over the pond" I don't normally visit the AA forum.

Really enjoyed this thread but can someone explain the "<redacted>" bits in the posts? Is it self censorship, strict editing by the AA mods or are you guys pretty sweary?

For the record I don't believe in splitting the family up when travelling together and I am a firm believer in the policy of "he/she who initiates the seat swap must offer up the better seat".
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by JamesLoughney
I would also tell him that on landing I am considering whether I tell the Spanish police that he verbally abused and threatened my children, to make them move.
But, at least according to the OP, the children weren't abused or threatened. They were merely asked. You'd consider telling someone that you'd file a police report that everyone involved, including your children, knew was not true? So either your children would have to lie to cover your lie, or they would say, "No, Dad, he didn't threaten us" thus making you look like a liar, all accruing to CK's advantage and benefit. Not a strategy that I'd pursue.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
But, at least according to the OP, the children weren't abused or threatened. They were merely asked. You'd consider telling someone that you'd file a police report that everyone involved, including your children, knew was not true? So either your children would have to lie to cover your lie, or they would say, "No, Dad, he didn't threaten us" thus making you look like a liar, all accruing to CK's advantage and benefit. Not a strategy that I'd pursue.
I will note he said he said to tell the CK that you were considering telling the police, not that he was actually going to tell the police.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
Despite a few AA trips in the last few years, as I live "over the pond" I don't normally visit the AA forum.

Really enjoyed this thread but can someone explain the "<redacted>" bits in the posts? Is it self censorship, strict editing by the AA mods or are you guys pretty sweary?

For the record I don't believe in splitting the family up when travelling together and I am a firm believer in the policy of "he/she who initiates the seat swap must offer up the better seat".
The AA forum is very diverse in its participants, has a history of contentiousness, and of course there are the FT Rules. Moderators most frequently don’t read every post or thread and <redactions> are most often made after bad post reports are received. It’s also probable we Yanks have a more direct and less subtle range of words we use to discuss disapproval than our U. K. cousins. (I think the “Strines” have us both beat.)

tigertanaka likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 31, 2018 at 11:21 am
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:48 pm

Unbelievable. I've seen some things in my travels and seen plenty of selfish and scummy behaviour, but this pretty much takes the biscuit. How low can folk go?

I admire the OP's temperance. I think in the same situation I might have given yerman a slap, regardless if he was a CKP a PKK or the president of the United States of America.

After saying that, if it was me, I'd let it go now. It's turned out fine and sometimes these things can eat you up and end up stressing you out. The FA who helped with the swap wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer but AA, imo, dealt with the situation generously.

I hope the kids have a less eventful flight next time out!
jmail1 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jmail1
Thanks for the replies everyone, as for the why, because they are a very kind family that teaches their kids to respect adults. I agree that at that age some kids have the ability to comprehend what's happening, but others just view things with a bit more naive eye. We're getting to the point where more and more kids that age are willing to confront adults, but thankfully we're not to a point where it is the norm.
It seems to me that this is an ideal example of why blind respect for adults is a poor choice. Being willing to confront adults should not be a binary option based on comparative ages and perceived seniority, it should be based on a thoughtful analysis of the circumstances. 16 should be old enough to manage that.
jmail1 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by Kremmen
It seems to me that this is an ideal example of why blind respect for adults is a poor choice. Being willing to confront adults should not be a binary option based on comparative ages and perceived seniority, it should be based on a thoughtful analysis of the circumstances. 16 should be old enough to manage that.
I think it's the how when they confront an adult, it can be done in a respectful manner. You can be sure he had a conversation with them afterwards about how it would have been OK to ask questions. I don't know if it would have helped in this instance because I don't think they knew what they were getting into until they walked back to their seats and saw what awaited them. I would have liked to have seen how the CK would have handled it had they walked back up and kindly told him they wanted to swap back after seeing where his seats were.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by JonNYC
False hope for the OP-- clever!
Ha! As with anything my irritation lessens with each passing minute. Clearly people who frequent a site like this are more likely to be set off by the small details of travel that most don't even notice.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:13 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
On INTL flts pax must remain in their booked cabins. Had the FA not permitted the OP to bring Sundaes to his children (or the desert was something he knew they wouldn't want), the incident might have gone unnoticed until the end of the flt: "if his children are only a few rows back, why haven't they deplaned?..." --by then the CK "meanie" would have been long gone.
[On INTL PE do pax get "nice" deserts?]
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by mvoight
I will note he said he said to tell the CK that you were considering telling the police, not that he was actually going to tell the police.
Yes, and good not to lose sight of that. Speaking for myself, it would never even have crossed my mind, because of the factors I mentioned in my post. I think that a lot of people say on FT that they would/will do something but would never actually do it. "I'll never fly airline XX again!!" Never, that is, until XX has a deep sale on the route which the poster needs.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Aug 1, 2018 at 7:44 am Reason: Correct typo.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Don't leave your kids in PE?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Yes, and good not to lose sight of that. Speaking for myself, it would never even have crossed my mind, because of the factors I mentioned in my post. I think that a lot of people say on FT that they would/will do something but would never actually do it. "I'll never fly airline XX again!!" Never, that is, until XX has a deep sale on the route which the poster needs.
It worked for me last month when in the line for the ferry to Bolivar Peninsula (from Galveston). The guy cut off the people right behind me, so I threaten to report him so he could be ticketed for the $500 fine.
There are signs all over that road warning people about this fine. I doubt I would have bothered the police, but the guy said a few choice words, stayed in line for awhile than made a U-Turn out of there.
One guy did drive into the line right before the last point of cutoff. He was a few cars behind me, as we wouldn't let him in. Later, on the ferry, I heard an announcement looking for "the driver of a red Nissan".........
Sure enough, prior to driving off the ferry, I saw him getting a ticket.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
What is not remotely the same thing? Someone bringing sundae from J to Y and someone bringing drinks from J to Y? I think you donīt know what remotely mean.
I suspect the subtle difference here is that the person in J asked the FA about bringing sundaes to kids in PE. FA made a judgment call that it was okay. Had he/she said no, that would have been fine as well. It's a little different than trying to sneak a steady stream of drinks back to Y. Lower degree of entitlement.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: CK or bust
One solution would be to add doors with employee card access in-flight between cabins to prevent cross-class activity between F, J, PE, and Y cabins. Then we no longer have lengthy threads about:
  • Sending drinks or desserts from J to Y
  • Switching from PE to economy
  • CK's in PE barging in on the calm and serenity of the J cabin to complain about the riffraff in Y
Productivity among FT members in the workplace would surge. This would effectively enable everyone to enjoy the classiness of the cabin that you're flying in. After all,
!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.