Wiki Posts
Search

Action against unprincipled passenger?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jmail1
The flight attendant was clearly upset by the situation, she did say she was going to note it and seek even more compensation for them in the form of vouchers. He told them he had no interest and that they'd done plenty. She felt bad because an attendant in the economy cabin helped their kids move back from their seats in PE and knew they'd made the swap and didn't intervene.

My only comment is regarding that guy, just hate it when people get away with crap like that. I'd read recently that American had a grading system based on how many favors they'd granted you in the past, that might not have been true but if it is this guy's grade should take a hit.
How was the FA to know the kids and the people they swapped with didn't know each other. Why did the kids agree to swap seats?
I don't know why the airline should give vouchers for a voluntary seat swap that the airline was not involved in
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I'm curious though, why did they agree to move? Presumably the guy must have made out as if there was some benefit in it for them, perhaps a row of 3 to themselves with spare middle instead of seatmates in Premium?
Mostly likely because they're two kids and an adult asked them to switch so they probably felt like they had to and didn't know any better.
wrp96 and Beltway2A like this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I get asked all the time to change seats so people can sit together. And sometimes people act like I'm being a dick when I say no.

I reject the idea that if someone asks an 18 year old to move this is perfectly reasonable and if the 18 year old moves then the 18 year old is just being a nice, generous normal person. But asking a 16 year old to move is duplicitous? 16 year olds can drive but they can't decide for themselves to move seats?
Do you get asked to move out of your domestic F seat into a seat down the back in Y? I certainly haven't been asked that. And PE seats are essentially the same (in terms of pitch, width, and comfort) as domestic F seats.

I don't see this "ask" as being at all similar to an ask to move within a cabin, or even to move from MCE to Y.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:00 am

Interesting thing about this story is that at age 16, the kid is not just viewed as an adult by airlines but adult enough to supervise a 14 yr old.

Agree the seat poacher was a <redacted> and it's bad if the FA, who helped the kids move, didn't point out to the kids that they were getting inferior seats.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 28, 2018 at 10:59 pm Reason: Complaints received of language
Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent
Thanks for the replies everyone, as for the why, because they are a very kind family that teaches their kids to respect adults. I agree that at that age some kids have the ability to comprehend what's happening, but others just view things with a bit more naive eye. We're getting to the point where more and more kids that age are willing to confront adults, but thankfully we're not to a point where it is the norm. I know it's a fine line when you are getting taken advantage of but I could go on for days about the entitlement of kids today. I have to hire them and they come in thinking they should be allowed to run the company in their third week.

They didn't make a big to-do about how much the seat upgrades were so I doubt the kids understood the big difference between PE and Y, even though they'd flown it on the way out. It was there first trip out of the country, and at that age neither of them would have been worse for wear having to sit in Y for that long, especially on a flight with WiFi while they could text there friends.

This is 100% about that guy, not about getting anything further from AA directly. AA went above and beyond, and I (and he) agrees that anything further regarding compensation would be unnecessary. If the Y flight attendant hadn't participated in moving them back to their new Y seats I'd even think giving the additional miles would have been a bit excessive. For the person that commented on her thinking they knew each other and agreed on it that absolutely wasn't the case, she complemented the kids on being kind enough to let a family sit together.
DirtyDan likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NeedstoFly
Interesting thing about this story is that at age 16, the kid is not just viewed as an adult by airlines but adult enough to supervise a 14 yr old.

Agree the seat poacher was a <redacted> and it's bad if the FA, who helped the kids move, didn't point out to the kids that they were getting inferior seats.
I don't know if i'd say supervise given the parents were 5 rows up. As a parent I think you have to treat each situation and each kid on it's own. I trust their daughter to babysit my kid so I'm probably a bit skewed, but she's perfectly capable of minding her brother with or without her parents.

I know there are whole threads on whether parents should sit in a different cabin class than their kids. I'm one who has paid for my kid to fly in F and J on all of our long-haul trips to Asia and at some point I'm going to move him back to Y, I just haven't figured out what age. He's gotten to the point where he expects a bed and extended meal plan on even 2 hour domestic flights. If we're fortunate enough to keep taking these family trips I don't feel like I'm setting him up for success in life if that's all he's experienced. As a young couple we made 10x trips overseas in coach and before we experienced even the old school AA business class, can't imagine if we had to do that after spending 18 years flying exclusively today's lie-flat business products.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 28, 2018 at 11:00 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:47 am

Here on FT we tend to hear the same stories over and over. This is a new one, thanks! It would never occur to me to scam kids, but that's just me.
DirtyDan likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think it's time to move on. No airline will give you access to the passenger's details, so the whole thing is a pointless exercise. I think I understand what happened, but can't help but wonder whether there was something in it for the kids as well. My kids would not have moved without checking with me first.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If I took my kids to Europe, I'd warn them in advance to be aware of travel scams. Not this one, specifically, but I guess now I know. I don't have kids, of course. But I'm wondering if proper parenting is teaching them to be deferential to adults or teaching them to tell most strangers who ask them for something to F right off.

If a kid is using a pen to fill out an immigration card and adult asks to borrow it, you wouldn't want the kid to say no. But if a kid is using a cell phone on the street and an adult asks to borrow it, you probably wouldn't want the kid to say yes.

Maybe the OP's friend needs to work on teaching the kids street smarts.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:17 am

Forget it and move on. There are 100 other people waiting to take this guy's place.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Also, I'm surprised no one has posted "I have no sympathy for the OP's friend because he's one of these people who asks to bring sundaes from first class to coach."
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Also, I'm surprised no one has posted "I have no sympathy for the OP's friend because he's one of these people who asks to bring sundaes from first class to coach."
...but we were all thinking it!
Markie, kokonutz, jcatman and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:20 am

When my kids travel alone they are instructed not to change seats. If asked they are to explain that dad has selected that seat for safety reasons and they are not allowed to move.
kokonutz, pinniped, muji and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think it's time to move on. No airline will give you access to the passenger's details, so the whole thing is a pointless exercise. I think I understand what happened, but can't help but wonder whether there was something in it for the kids as well. My kids would not have moved without checking with me first.
This wouldn't require access to the passenger details, AA could reach out to the guy or just note his record. I know it's far fetched and very unlikely to happen but it makes me feel better thinking about it.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
...but we were all thinking it!
Ha, that was the first thing I told him before he got into the meat of the story! It was his first time flying up front, he understood after I explained why it wasn't allowed. He did ask the FA so I guess that's better than just assuming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.