Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA tells me Coke Zero is bad for me

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:57 am
Suspended

The health risks or lack thereof of Coke Zero have no relevance here. The fact is the OP paid the airline for the privilege of being criticized and guilt tripped.

The FA was way out of their lane, particularly when their employer offers that product.
DenverBrian and DCP2016 like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
I do agree with you it was in poor taste, but i am also sure it was more of a joke then he took it. He was not denied bottomless sodas.

I wouldn't say the FA was "controlling" the OP's consumption he clearly got lots of coke zero. There is not really much to complain about here other than the FA was a little out of line with his personal opinion. The customer had plenty of access to coke zero. I do think we are too sensitive in today's day and age we are looking for trouble Now im looking for trouble
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bdlman
I do agree with you it was in poor taste, but i am also sure it was more of a joke then he took it. He was not denied bottomless sodas.

I wouldn't say the FA was "controlling" the OP's consumption he clearly got lots of coke zero. There is not really much to complain about here other than the FA was a little out of line with his personal opinion. The customer had plenty of access to coke zero. I do think we are too sensitive in today's day and age we are looking for trouble Now im looking for trouble
If I wanted to hear jokes, I would go to a comedy club. And if I wanted to pay hundreds of dollars to hear inappropriate, matronly "jokes" I would fly WN.

There is no place for such disrespect in customer service. There are better airlines internationally that would never tolerate this from their employees. Americans are getting way too casual, and worse, putting up with it sheepishly when they should be treated better.
muji likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
If I wanted to hear jokes, I would go to a comedy club. And if I wanted to pay hundreds of dollars to hear inappropriate, matronly "jokes" I would fly WN.

There is no place for such disrespect in customer service. There are better airlines internationally that would never tolerate this from their employees. Americans are getting way too casual, and worse, putting up with it sheepishly when they should be treated better.
I see your point, but also a slight wrinkle.

Jokes might be flight attendants' way to cope with job stress. If this is the case, then banning jokes may not be so good for the consumer. I'd rather have an FA tease me for drinking too much Coke, rather than an FA who is surly with no sense of humor at all.

Of course I'd rather have an FA that is neither surly nor teasing me in a way I don't appreciate, but it sounds like that may not be an option on domestic carriers.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by davie355

Jokes might be flight attendants' way to cope with job stress. If this is the case, then banning jokes may not be so good for the consumer. I'd rather have an FA tease me for drinking too much Coke, rather than an FA who is surly with no sense of humor at all.

Of course I'd rather have an FA that is neither surly nor teasing me in a way I don't appreciate, but it sounds like that may not be an option on domestic carriers.
If the FA needs to tease a passenger to deal with the stress of their job, they need to find a new job.
DenverBrian, muji and Proudelitist like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:43 pm

What's next? FA's teasing me about my weight?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by davie355

If they can't be funny the only other option is surly? Sounds like a false dichotomy.

They COULD be polite, respectful, friendly, deferential and happy without being funny.

And if they can't handle the stress, they are in the wrong job.
muji likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
If they can't be funny the only other option is surly? Sounds like a false dichotomy.

They COULD be polite, respectful, friendly, deferential and happy without being funny.

And if they can't handle the stress, they are in the wrong job.
I think you completely missed the point. There is no one can prove that the FA is stressed or said it in a 'joking' way.

Flight attendant are humans. Human interaction depends on how people feels, how they grow up and how they see the world. It might be perfectly OK for the said FA to express any concern in their mind, however that concern is irrelevant or false. It is their first amendment right to express their opinion. The key is does AA forbid its FA to make personal expression on the matter relating to service on board? I don't think so. As long as their expression is not political, personal attack or discriminate nature, I don't see how the comment has crosses any line but OP's own feeling being treated like a child being told off.

Enjoy the diversity of human interaction, and let it go. A FA with human imperfection made a not very well received comment that is neither harmful nor hateful, it might be the only moment that the FA felt unease. There is no suggestion or evidence to show that the FA is not polite, respectful, friendly, deferential and happy at most of the time. People can have a bad day or moment, or maybe people's way of saying things are their own unique personalities, celebrate that, do not be that hard on other people's non-harmful comments. It is great that we have so many different ways of thinking and conversation that is making the world great, because we are all different in thinking and dealing with issues.

Maybe another 10 years or 20 years later, scientist finally break the news that Coke Zero is bad for you, like cigarette, which was not told being harmful until many years later, or the regular coke, which only recently become mainstream that it is harmful if you drink too much; or even Johnson's baby powder, which only in last decade being suggested to cause cancer...the list goes on. And guess what, it has been suggested that flying too much is bad for your health, and being on computer whining too much harm your brain too...

So what is my point? Your guys blame the FA should seriously let it go. There is no uniformed opinion or way of behaviour among humans. Even trained army guys think differently and react differently. Celebrate the diversity, will you? Just for one second?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by chongcao
<snip>

So what is my point? Your guys blame the FA should seriously let it go. There is no uniformed opinion or way of behaviour among humans. Even trained army guys think differently and react differently. Celebrate the diversity, will you? Just for one second?
We weren’t there, but we do know that the words are a small part of a communication. Prof. Albert Mehrabian quantified it as: words, tone of voice, and body language respectively account for 7%, 38%, and 55% of personal communication.

And all are perceived differently by different people, according to their personal vocabulary (think of the catchphrase “family values” and what it can mean to different people), their perception of vocal variety and in particular of body language.

Add two people’s culture, values, tolerance for conflict and directness... and we really have no clue of what actually occurred or the intention of the FA. We do know there was no intent to deny, as the OP was served; denial would have been genuine unwarranted behavior.

If we had all been witnesses, we’d probably offer differing interpretations, such as “the FA was being... rude, humorous, intrusive, flirtatious, friendly, insulting, etc.” (My learning English as a second language required ever so much more than merely expanding my vocabulary.)

Just like reading post content on the Internet - only all we have are words, stripped of any vocal variety or body language. The applicable formula involves cutting others slack and attempting to shape our message to create the desired impact on our audiences.

An example: I flew FRA-DFW in Business class. The FA delivering PDBs brought me my requested orange juice, and while standing in front of me dipped her finger into the juice, tasted it and said “it’s okay; here you are!” Once I got over my (and other passengers!) momentary “wotinell?” moment, she gave me an intact juice and we shared a good laugh. It turned out we’d known of each other and after seeing my name on the manifest, she decided to mildly prank me. For those operating within a certain “American” cultural envelope, funny, a shared small intimacy and conducive to enhanced friendship. Others might be appalled, angry, etc.
Gerbs, flyalways and BWISkyGuy like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 31, 2018 at 10:59 am
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
We weren’t there, but we do know that the words are a small part of a communication. Prof. Albert Mehrabian quantified it as: words, tone of voice, and body language respectively account for 7%, 38%, and 55% of personal communication.

And all are perceived differently by different people, according to their personal vocabulary (think of the catchphrase “family values” and what it can mean to different people), their perception of vocal variety and in particular of body language.

Add two people’s culture, values, tolerance for conflict and directness... and we really have no clue of what actually occurred or the intention of the FA. We do know there was no intent to deny, as the OP was served; denial would have been genuine unwarranted behavior.

If we had all been witnesses, we’d probably offer differing interpretations, such as “the FA was being... rude, humorous, intrusive, flirtatious, friendly, insulting, etc.” (My learning English as a second language required ever so much more than merely expanding my vocabulary.)

Just like reading post content on the Internet - only all we have are words, stripped of any vocal variety or body language. The applicable formula involves cutting others slack and attempting to shape our message to create the desired impact on our audiences.

An example: I flew FRA-DFW in Business class. The FA delivering PDBs brought me my requested orange juice, and while standing in front of me dipped her finger into the juice, tasted it and said “it’s okay; here you are!” Once I got over my (and other passengers!) momentary “wotinell?” moment, she gave me an intact juice and we shared a good laugh. It turned out we’d known of each other and after seeing my name on the manifest, she decided to mildly prank me. For those operating within a certain “American” cultural envelope, funny, a shared small intimacy and conducive to enhanced friendship. Others might be appalled, angry, etc.
I thank you for putting your thoughts in such a beautiful way. I think enough said from this point on. Because nothing else could beat what you have written. I think you have hit the nail on this issue. well done.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by origin
you were being chatted up its just small talk.
+1
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
I can't believe this thread is still going. Fine, I am coming out now. Maybe two years ago a female AA FA also told me that Coke Zero wasn't good for me. I thought it was hard to argue with that, smiled and took my Coke Zero. I was young and inexperienced and failed to see the seriousness of what had just happened to me.

#metooCokeZeroBadForYou
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:44 am

Anything with Zero in the name is bad for you! LOL
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: AA, DL, TK
Originally Posted by zitsky
Anything with Zero in the name is bad for you! LOL
Almost anything?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nrr
There was a "study" showing that Diet soft drinks could lead to health issues...which in reality doesn't mean anything.
The studies I remember reading about involved eventual issues with metabolism, possibly leading to weight gain (and the diabetes, etc. that could result). I'm not sure there's been any absolute conclusion either way. Still, it's probably a good idea to drink in moderation, not to mention that it doesn't excuse the FA here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.