Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA tells me Coke Zero is bad for me

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by no2chem
I had one can shortly after takeoff, and I went to the back to ask for another about halfway into the flight.
When the FA came around for the second drink service near the end of the flight, I said that I'd have another can of the same.
Three cans of soda, one of which you asked for between regular drink service? Since you asked, I think that's excessive. Three of anything (apples, granola bars, etc) in a such a short period of time, especially when you're largely sedentary in an aircraft, isn't a particularly healthy choice. As for the FA's comments, time to grow thicker skin.

<redacted >
downinit and Jeannietx like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 15, 2018 at 9:16 am Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content and reply
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Got to love this forum. No, the <redacted> does not have the right to berate a paying passenger on what they choose to consume, unless they are inebriated. OP I would definitely report them. Between comments like these and refusing to give MCE customers free alcohol it seems AA is going the way if just serving water.
smc333 likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 14, 2018 at 7:48 pm Reason: Rules #12
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Sounds like flirting.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd suggest saying it's none of your business to the FA, but some crazy ones might respond by having the customer taken off the flight in handcuffs.
joesmoe likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
If it bothered you enough to post here, I guess you should complain. Personally I wouldn't, but I also don't drink soda at all--I just don't like the taste of it.

I work in a client service role, and I can't say that 100% of the statements that I make are entirely on point. Occasionally I'll try to make a joke that falls flat, or I don't properly assess what's important for the client.

I don't want the flight attendants I interact with to be robots, I want them to feel comfortable expressing their opinions. But obviously this is highly subjective and everyone will feel differently about it.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
If the FA was flirting: "Oh, yes, because when I'm bad, I'm REALLY good." Wink, wink.

If the FA was scolding: "You just served 50 people double bourbons and you're telling me COKE ZERO is bad for ME?!?"
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by garykung
I can see why OP was uncomfortable with the FA's comment and upset because of the refusal of the 3rd full can. However, OP failed to see the FA's genuine interest in caring for OP, even OP might not agree.

OP is being stupid, sorry to say.
Riiiiight. I'm sure that what it was. Genuine interest in caring. Probably no sarcasm or snarkiness in their comment. Airline employees have never been known to do that.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by garykung
I can see why OP was uncomfortable with the FA's comment and upset because of the refusal of the 3rd full can. However, OP failed to see the FA's genuine interest in caring for OP, even OP might not agree.

OP is being stupid, sorry to say.
I disagree. S/He is a flight attendant, not OPs doctor. Probably annoyed they needed to stop playing Candy Crush for a few minutes to provide the additional drink. (Not being facetious, I have gone to the galley and seen two of the FAs on their phones playing games).
smc333 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by BillBurn
I wonder what kind of system they have for determining catering levels for each kind of beverage. I can imagine a wildly complex analytics engine that takes actual consumption data by route and translates in into the ideal catering load for each flight (actually a great use case for AI), but I am guessing the reality is a little less complex. Does anyone know if they systemically try to track demand or if not, what kind of feedback mechanisms they use to change the drink load and how often they adjust it?
This is easy work for any commercially available forecasting software.

Originally Posted by DCP2016
No, it doesn't. AA is the only major airline in the US that hires sky waitresses. Delta, United, JetBlue, Spirit, Southwest, Alaska, Hawaiian, Allegiant, and Frontier all hire flight attendants.
Yes. All of the other airlines hire professional flight attendants, and have no one working for them who is not a true professional. AA is the only one that doesn't.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Probably not worth complaining about, but I think I would have been a bit annoyed if I heard the same thing from an FA. I don't recall the OP asking for advice or an opinion on the beverage, just a request for a refill.
Just as I would have been annoyed if a server at a restaurant, a bartender in a bar, etc. made the same comment in the same context.

However, in the FA's defense, i wonder if it's someone's "quirky" sense of humor? These things don't always come out correctly and may be misinterpreted by the listener.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EP
Are u looking for some type of compensation?
Definitely send to AA. I am sur the folks in. R would appreciate the chance to laugh.

Originally Posted by no2chem
A FA on a JFK-SFO transcon told me Coke Zero is bad for me, and I don't know how to feel about it.

I had one can shortly after takeoff, and I went to the back to ask for another about halfway into the flight.
When the FA came around for the second drink service near the end of the flight, I said that I'd have another can of the same.
He replied - do you really need another one? These things are bad for you! And after a short pause, I said, yes really, I do.
He -poured- some into a cup instead of giving me the can.

I don't want to engage in an OMNI-level discussion about whether diet soda is actually bad for me or not, but honestly I'm a little offended by the FA's comment, and it felt like if I didn't insist, he wouldn't have served me anything! I've debated sending a complaint into AA, which I sort of feel bad for doing, he was a good FA by all other measures. Maybe he meant it humorously, but he also did not give me the can (maybe he was trying to ration it or something). Apart from not serving alcohol to excessively inebriated passengers, I don't think FAs should be judging how much soda people should drink! I also didn't appreciate being shunned as a coke zero addict to the entire cabin . Anyway, just curious what others think. Yeah, first world problems, right?
TWA884 and 757FO like this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Ugh, let it go. I don't think there was anything malicious in the comment.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Last year on a morning MIA/CLT Flight the guy next to me was pounding down drinks. The FA lectured him about drinking excessively so early in the morning and that he’d better not be driving.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Last year on a morning MIA/CLT Flight the guy next to me was pounding down drinks. The FA lectured him about drinking excessively so early in the morning and that he’d better not be driving.
Recently, I was flying back from LAX on a redeye and ordered a red wine after the take off. The FA said, "You know, that really doesn't help you sleep." This was after ordering one glass. I then fell asleep and woke up as we were on final approach. Did I consider contacting AA? No, neither of them.

Move on OP...
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
SO? Employees shouldn't be permitted to insult or make inappropriate personal comments about/to customers, in the first, second, third or even n-th world.
OP was the one who stated this was a first world problem and feel free to point to any of my posts where I mentioned that what the FA said was appropriate. The OP asked for our opinion and I frankly couldn't care less what a random stranger says to me let alone run to Flyertalk for advice on how to move forward.

Last edited by Navig8R; Jul 14, 2018 at 5:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.