Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA Charging For Liquor/Drinks in MCE

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
So let me get this straight, Delta can handle the concept of free drinks in Comfort + and to elites and charge regular economy passengers but American can't?

While there are definitely lazy FA's that are at fault here, this also lies on management all the way to the top, as Doug Parker can't even answer questions on his own product. Maybe he's never taken a flight in economy before?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jcatman
In reading Gary Leff's article on the topic today:

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...h-free-drinks/

It appears FA's are frustrated over implementation of the new policy, and AA management has no idea what is actually occurring on the aircraft.

That sounds familiar.
This sounds like one of those FAs that are “buried in their phones” as one of their own colleagues called it at a recent town hall meeting.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Yikes, this isn't a hard thing to remember ("MCE = free drinks"). The act of pouring a cup of liquid and handing it to a seated person is not any harder or more time consuming when the liquid has alcohol in it. If anything it's actually less work because they don't have to run the credit card charge.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Data Point...

I flew on a domestic PHL-LAX flight on an A332 in the Premium Economy cabin (which is considered MCE for domestic flights).The first FA I asked for a drink gave it to me for free no problem. About 2 hours later I requested another one from a different FA and she wanted to charge me. I explained that alcohol should be free in MCE and she said, "No, MCE is on Delta" and "We only do free drinks on international flights". The first FA then corrected her and they got into a minor argument (although with smiles) and she eventually relented and said "I don't care...it's not like it's coming out of my paycheck".

The most disturbing thing to me is the FA didn't even know what MCE was and thought it was something on Delta.
chrisphx likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Data Point...

I flew on a domestic PHL-LAX flight on an A332 in the Premium Economy cabin (which is considered MCE for domestic flights).The first FA I asked for a drink gave it to me for free no problem. About 2 hours later I requested another one from a different FA and she wanted to charge me. I explained that alcohol should be free in MCE and she said, "No, MCE is on Delta" and "We only do free drinks on international flights". The first FA then corrected her and they got into a minor argument (although with smiles) and she eventually relented and said "I don't care...it's not like it's coming out of my paycheck".

The most disturbing thing to me is the FA didn't even know what MCE was and thought it was something on Delta.
Okay, that is classic!
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TSparky
They get paid to do a job. If reading memos is part of that job, then yes they do get paid to read memos.
I agree that that is the attitude that the attendants should be bringing to the job. But since the contracts that their unions negotiated for them only pay them their hourly wage when the plane is in motion (correct me if I am wrong on this point), I suspect that many attendants try to avoid doing anything work related when the "flag" has not yet fallen on the "taxi meter".
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Originally Posted by wetrat0
<clip> If anything it's actually less work because they don't have to run the credit card charge.
FAs are suppose to 'document/report' each transaction in the tablet so the company knows how much is being given out...even those in MCE, the Food & Beverage team monitors the reports closely in case a need to increase/decrease provisioning.

The company has stated to FAs it is recommended to serve one (1) alcoholic beverage at a time, regardless of a customer's seat assignment in the cabin, and as with any customer receiving alcohol, paying or complimentary, FAs will be supported by the company when they use their best judgement when a customer has had enough to drink.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
...it is recommended to serve one (1) alcoholic beverage at a time...
I must look like I really need a drink then. More often than not, The FA hands me a second bottle when I pay for one.
chrisny2, TSparky and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
FAs are suppose to 'document/report' each transaction in the tablet so the company knows how much is being given out...even those in MCE, the Food & Beverage team monitors the reports closely in case a need to increase/decrease provisioning.

The company has stated to FAs it is recommended to serve one (1) alcoholic beverage at a time, regardless of a customer's seat assignment in the cabin, and as with any customer receiving alcohol, paying or complimentary, FAs will be supported by the company when they use their best judgement when a customer has had enough to drink.
I have no problem with the one drink at a time rule (although I'm sure there are some who don't like it). My point was referring to the Gary Leff article quoting a FA as saying it will be more work... I just don't see the difference between beer vs a soda, or between wine vs water. It's the same amount of work. I did not realize that they have to be entered in the tablet. Interesting that they want to track the alcoholic beverages in MCE since they definitely do not do so in F. And if this is really happening, shouldn't the tablet tell you that it's supposed to be free?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
AA just released a Main Cabin Extra promo on Youtube. It says, and I quote "Beer, wine, AND spirits".

These sky-waitresses making up their own rules are out of control.

AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
DL FA's couldn't be happier to provide additional drinks/requests in C+........what is with AA?

Seriously....if I was an FA I would rather be helping customers and fulfilling additional requests than sitting on my ____ on a jumpseat.
DCP2016 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:07 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

In MCE in front of me today when the pax was charged for their drink: "Sorry, free drinks are only for our EPs" and then was charged.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:19 pm

That video a few posts up should be bookmarked.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:44 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
I have certainly had my share of bad FAs on American. However, maybe I've just been lucky, but since the rollout this month, I've had travel DCA-MCO, MCO-DCA, DCA-DFW-KOA, KOA-LAX-DCA. 2 of those flights were in first, but the others were in MCE. I was never once asked for a credit card. And on the longer flights, when I popped back to the galley and asked for a beer or cocktail, I also wasn't charged.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
DL FA's couldn't be happier to provide additional drinks/requests in C+........what is with AA?

Seriously....if I was an FA I would rather be helping customers and fulfilling additional requests than sitting on my ____ on a jumpseat.
Actually, I've heard some flight attendants refer to fellow workers who go the distance for customers as "over-achievers".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.