Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA Charging For Liquor/Drinks in MCE

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I was in the PE cabin on LAX-LHR as an MCE and the FA told me it was unlimited beer/wine but only 1 spirit. She initially tried to charge me too and when I pointed out that my whiskey should be free and she was like "oh what row are you in?" The PE cabin is its own mini-cabin!
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by chenalex
I was in the PE cabin on LAX-LHR as an MCE and the FA told me it was unlimited beer/wine but only 1 spirit. She initially tried to charge me too and when I pointed out that my whiskey should be free and she was like "oh what row are you in?" The PE cabin is its own mini-cabin!
"in the PE cabin... as an MCE".... What are you talking about? PE is NOT MCE. PE gets free alcohol, and that has nothing to do with the latest MCE chang
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
"in the PE cabin... as an MCE".... What are you talking about? PE is NOT MCE. PE gets free alcohol, and that has nothing to do with the latest MCE chang
LAX-LHR this month has the new PE seats on the 777 but when I bought them, they were still sold as MCE, and treated as MCE.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:58 pm

Right. PE starts on the 77W this week. Until then, PE seat treated as MCE.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by Djokison

Surely thats the type of employee you want?

If everyone started giving everything away because it “doesn’t come out of their paychecks”, that’s a solid way to run a business into the ground. I would find that rather unethical behavior by the employee, too.
No, that is not the type of employee you want. When a business advertises some kind of promo and the employee ignores it, customers immediately think "bait and switch!". Now that is a solid way to run a business into the ground. No promos at all would be far better.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
No, that is not the type of employee you want. When a business advertises some kind of promo and the employee ignores it, customers immediately think "bait and switch!". Now that is a solid way to run a business into the ground. No promos at all would be far better.
I think most of us appreciate that with around 25,000 cabin crew there might be some teething problems on the first day something is introduced? Bait and switch would be the last thing on my mind.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Somehow the LUS crew I've encountered have no problem following this new policy (without any discussion), even though they generally only have very few MCE rows on their aircraft.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
So the FA is doubly wrong?

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I think most of us appreciate that with around 25,000 cabin crew there might be some teething problems on the first day something is introduced? Bait and switch would be the last thing on my mind.
Hmm, you mean this is a really complicated new policy that takes a while to implement?
I hope you do not mind if there are a few crashes when there is a new airplane, because there are 25,000 cabin crew and there might be some teething problems.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
How many times has each of us ignored or loosely read a memo or e-mail at work? I admit I read about 1 out of every 10 e-mails from "HR" or "corporate". For policy changes like this, it's incumbent on all FAs to read and understand the change. We all know there is always someone that doesn't bother to read something.

If it's an issue that impacts safety, there is typically a much higher level of training and rigor around the change. This was likely an e-mail/memo that my guess is a chunk of FAs didn't bother to read or fully understand on the first read.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
PHX-DEN on the return two things happened. First I was asked for my ID which I have never gotten in all my years of flying. My aging cream must be really working. And then the FA tried to charge me for a double, but at the single price, which I'm confused across the board because she selected my seat on the pad which should have my info? I reminded her about the MCE initiative and she immediately went, "oh ya, right" told her other FA and continued on.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by s0ssos

Hmm, you mean this is a really complicated new policy that takes a while to implement?
I hope you do not mind if there are a few crashes when there is a new airplane, because there are 25,000 cabin crew and there might be some teething problems.
With 25,000 staff i’m pretty sure at least one or more of them would have had a family member or relative in hospital, or a sick school kid, or some other bad news, or been called in to work earlier than expected to cover a colleague who called in sick... and they might not have read the all important email that drinks are now free in MCE.

My my first thought is not that this is the airline and staff deliberately engaging in bait and switch. My first reaction is that it’s an oversight. And while that could be laziness, it could also be for one of a dozen very valid reasons.

DCAstudent likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
FTers are much less likely than the general population to scream "bait and switch" because we take far more flights than the average person and have had plenty of interactions with employees where we know the policy better than they do.

Plenty of the passengers sitting in MCE do not have this experience, get charged for a drink despite having paid extra for the seat and saw the message "free drinks" on the screen, so naturally many will think "bait and switch".
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
New Policy Reminder

In order to ensure the crew is aware of and following the new MCE policy on beverage service, why not have Coca-Cola pay for new napkins which say "Sitting in MCE? Drinks are on the house".
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:50 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Initially when EXPs got free drink(s) and snack item (from posts in other threads) it took some time before FAs learned the rules. Now this perk is printed in a card found in every seat pocket, can't AA update ALL these in American Way?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 1:14 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
I get the sense they're happy not to advertise it. Friday night, I ordered my Woodford and the FA asked the other people in my row what they wanted. She sure didn't volunteer that alcohol was free; I've yet to hear it announced. For now, they appear to be giving it to those who ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.