FA Charging For Liquor/Drinks in MCE

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
AA response

Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:57 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Similar to no shots policies at bars, you ask for a 1.5oz pour with one ice cube. Ask for two singles, just in case.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by enviroian
AA response
Sounds like they just read the words "double" and "drinks" and then give you the link. Abysmal reply that doesn't bother to actually give a clear answer.

We all know the number of drinks served may be limited for obvious reasons like intoxication.

But why cannot doubles be given out in MCE if I can purchase them in regular Y instead?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Sounds like they just read the words "double" and "drinks" and then give you the link. Abysmal reply that doesn't bother to actually give a clear answer.

We all know the number of drinks served may be limited for obvious reasons like intoxication.

But why cannot doubles be given out in MCE if I can purchase them in regular Y instead?
It depends on what's behind this decision. If it's because of an uptick in issues due to people being over-served - then I suspect that this policy will apply to all "doubles" purchased and free.
If cost is what's behind the decision - then you have your answer.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 3:59 pm

No issue today on my flight asking for a double, no retort/scoff or comment on "recent emails". At least the new uniforms look nice.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by safari ari
No issue today on my flight asking for a double, no retort/scoff or comment on "recent emails". At least the new uniforms look nice.
Mainline or Eagle? As the latter seems to always be more relaxed IME.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Mainline or Eagle? As the latter seems to always be more relaxed IME.
Mainline (DCA based crew), can't say I've ever had a huge difference, but I do see Eagle being more "relaxed" in general.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by safari ari
Mainline (DCA based crew), can't say I've ever had a huge difference, but I do see Eagle being more "relaxed" in general.
My experience with DCA crews is that they are the most neutral, never rude but also not overly friendly. Just go through the motions and give doubles on request.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:53 am

Flew CLT-PHX last week on AA.
Flight attendant automatically served two drinks without being asked.
Flight was 3 hours late so maybe that had something to do with it.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, 4mm
Same with DEN-DFW a couple of weeks ago. Simply asked for a drink and was handed two bottles. No explanation from the FA and no questions from me.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Unless the flight is under 2 hours, the vast majority of the time I get a double without asking for it. There has been very few times on a flight over 2 hours, where I encountered any friction and if I do, I simply:

1. Head to the rear galley and ask politely for the beverage I want and don't indicate its a "refill"
2. If there is any pushback respond by name, i.e. "Tammy, I wasn't aware that there was a one drink policy especially for flights over 2 hours"
3. If they are hiding their name I say: "I really like to address people by name, may I ask your name so I can avoid being rude?

This usually makes it clear they are going to get dinged and it will go back to them as you know their name and flight number.
EdV likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by AAdamE
Unless the flight is under 2 hours, the vast majority of the time I get a double without asking for it. There has been very few times on a flight over 2 hours, where I encountered any friction and if I do, I simply:

1. Head to the rear galley and ask politely for the beverage I want and don't indicate its a "refill"
2. If there is any pushback respond by name, i.e. "Tammy, I wasn't aware that there was a one drink policy especially for flights over 2 hours"
3. If they are hiding their name I say: "I really like to address people by name, may I ask your name so I can avoid being rude?

This usually makes it clear they are going to get dinged and it will go back to them as you know their name and flight number.
Its never happened to me but I’d simply let them know I’ll be submitting the receipt to AA for reimbursement so he/she knows it’ll be tracked back to them.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
de leted
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
The problem with all this is that FAs have authority to stop serving you alcohol, whether paid or free, pretty much whenever they feel like it.

A couple weeks ago, I was flying LGA-DFW in F. The guy sitting next to me rolled his eyes at the FA when asked to put his tray table away for takeoff. TheN during flight, the FA declined to serve him a 3rd drink (he was not being disruptive, just watching a movie with headphones on). In F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.