FA Charging For Liquor/Drinks in MCE

Old Mar 1, 20, 1:48 pm
  #496  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 19,083
AA response

enviroian is online now  
Old Mar 1, 20, 1:57 pm
  #497  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Denver
Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 1,009
Similar to no shots policies at bars, you ask for a 1.5oz pour with one ice cube. Ask for two singles, just in case.
safari ari is offline  
Old Mar 1, 20, 2:48 pm
  #498  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: ATL/MCO
Programs: Free agent
Posts: 3,911
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
AA response
Sounds like they just read the words "double" and "drinks" and then give you the link. Abysmal reply that doesn't bother to actually give a clear answer.

We all know the number of drinks served may be limited for obvious reasons like intoxication.

But why cannot doubles be given out in MCE if I can purchase them in regular Y instead?
miamiflyer8 is online now  
Old Mar 2, 20, 2:02 pm
  #499  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dallas
Programs: AA PltPro /1MM
Posts: 225
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 View Post
Sounds like they just read the words "double" and "drinks" and then give you the link. Abysmal reply that doesn't bother to actually give a clear answer.

We all know the number of drinks served may be limited for obvious reasons like intoxication.

But why cannot doubles be given out in MCE if I can purchase them in regular Y instead?
It depends on what's behind this decision. If it's because of an uptick in issues due to people being over-served - then I suspect that this policy will apply to all "doubles" purchased and free.
If cost is what's behind the decision - then you have your answer.
AAway is offline  
Old Mar 2, 20, 3:59 pm
  #500  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Denver
Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 1,009
No issue today on my flight asking for a double, no retort/scoff or comment on "recent emails". At least the new uniforms look nice.
thunderdeacon likes this.
safari ari is offline  
Old Mar 2, 20, 5:24 pm
  #501  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: ATL/MCO
Programs: Free agent
Posts: 3,911
Originally Posted by safari ari View Post
No issue today on my flight asking for a double, no retort/scoff or comment on "recent emails". At least the new uniforms look nice.
Mainline or Eagle? As the latter seems to always be more relaxed IME.
miamiflyer8 is online now  
Old Mar 2, 20, 6:07 pm
  #502  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Denver
Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 1,009
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 View Post
Mainline or Eagle? As the latter seems to always be more relaxed IME.
Mainline (DCA based crew), can't say I've ever had a huge difference, but I do see Eagle being more "relaxed" in general.
safari ari is offline  
Old Mar 2, 20, 6:21 pm
  #503  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: ATL/MCO
Programs: Free agent
Posts: 3,911
Originally Posted by safari ari View Post
Mainline (DCA based crew), can't say I've ever had a huge difference, but I do see Eagle being more "relaxed" in general.
My experience with DCA crews is that they are the most neutral, never rude but also not overly friendly. Just go through the motions and give doubles on request.
miamiflyer8 is online now  
Old Mar 7, 20, 7:53 am
  #504  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 38
Flew CLT-PHX last week on AA.
Flight attendant automatically served two drinks without being asked.
Flight was 3 hours late so maybe that had something to do with it.
apeortdz likes this.
Woofbite is offline  
Old Mar 7, 20, 8:48 am
  #505  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DFW
Programs: AA ExPlat, 4mm
Posts: 86
Same with DEN-DFW a couple of weeks ago. Simply asked for a drink and was handed two bottles. No explanation from the FA and no questions from me.
Grail is offline  
Old Mar 9, 20, 1:46 pm
  #506  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Chicago
Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Posts: 272
Unless the flight is under 2 hours, the vast majority of the time I get a double without asking for it. There has been very few times on a flight over 2 hours, where I encountered any friction and if I do, I simply:

1. Head to the rear galley and ask politely for the beverage I want and don't indicate its a "refill"
2. If there is any pushback respond by name, i.e. "Tammy, I wasn't aware that there was a one drink policy especially for flights over 2 hours"
3. If they are hiding their name I say: "I really like to address people by name, may I ask your name so I can avoid being rude?

This usually makes it clear they are going to get dinged and it will go back to them as you know their name and flight number.
EdV likes this.
AAdamE is offline  
Old Mar 9, 20, 3:44 pm
  #507  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 6,712
Originally Posted by AAdamE View Post
Unless the flight is under 2 hours, the vast majority of the time I get a double without asking for it. There has been very few times on a flight over 2 hours, where I encountered any friction and if I do, I simply:

1. Head to the rear galley and ask politely for the beverage I want and don't indicate its a "refill"
2. If there is any pushback respond by name, i.e. "Tammy, I wasn't aware that there was a one drink policy especially for flights over 2 hours"
3. If they are hiding their name I say: "I really like to address people by name, may I ask your name so I can avoid being rude?

This usually makes it clear they are going to get dinged and it will go back to them as you know their name and flight number.
Its never happened to me but Iíd simply let them know Iíll be submitting the receipt to AA for reimbursement so he/she knows itíll be tracked back to them.
AANYC1981 is offline  
Old Mar 9, 20, 6:28 pm
  #508  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Posts: 7,039
de leted
aamilesslave is offline  
Old Mar 9, 20, 7:49 pm
  #509  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Posts: 172
The problem with all this is that FAs have authority to stop serving you alcohol, whether paid or free, pretty much whenever they feel like it.

A couple weeks ago, I was flying LGA-DFW in F. The guy sitting next to me rolled his eyes at the FA when asked to put his tray table away for takeoff. TheN during flight, the FA declined to serve him a 3rd drink (he was not being disruptive, just watching a movie with headphones on). In F.
Mr. BoH is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: