Search

FA Charging For Liquor/Drinks in MCE

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:36 pm

Mmmm. Dat woodford though.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by enviroian
Positive outcome which is good, but man, that's a lot of work for a free cold one.
Actually didn't take me too long to submit the complaint but I agree
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
It's kind of funny many FA's are so anal about paying for alcohol, considering it doesn't come out of their paychecks.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by DCP2016
It's kind of funny many FA's are so anal about paying for alcohol, considering it doesn't come out of their paychecks.
Surely thats the type of employee you want?

If everyone started giving everything away because it “doesn’t come out of their paychecks”, that’s a solid way to run a business into the ground. I would find that rather unethical behavior by the employee, too.
linglingfool and railmatt like this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeShores
Flying JFK to AUS last night and initial drink service was done properly, 2 woodford's and a diet coke, no charge. Later, another FA brought me another round and requested $16. I pointed out the MCE and he said beer and wine only. He processed my card while I grumbled about the lack of clarity, and expressed that I would be reaching out to the Twitter team and getting a refund. Then I realized I was ticketed in 8F but seated in 8A...because the lady in 8A had already mistakenly taken 8F. He reversed the charge and then charged it again, to the correct seat this time as we continued to talk. He pulled out his phone and showed me the email, clearly indicating complimentary beer, wine, and spirits. He said Woodford was "hard liquor" not a spirit...to which the entire row began laughing. He reversed the charge and apologized.
Sounds like a very confused FA.. and I wonder what they thoughts "spirits" were??
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Kirby's ghost, perhaps
DCP2016 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Djokison

If everyone started giving everything away because it “doesn’t come out of their paychecks”, that’s a solid way to run a business into the ground. I would find that rather unethical behavior by the employee, too.
There's a difference. Unless you are a theme park/resort where you have multiple lines of business, businesses primarily have one "asset" that they make/have in order to make money. For restaurants it's food. For department stores it's the merchandise on the shelves. For airlines it's transportation from point A to point B. If this was a restaurant or the employees were giving free flights away, you would have an argument. AA isn't in the business of selling $10 cans of beer, so there is no argument to be had here.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by DCP2016
There's a difference. Unless you are a theme park/resort where you have multiple lines of business, businesses primarily have one "asset" that they make/have in order to make money. For restaurants it's food. For department stores it's the merchandise on the shelves. For airlines it's transportation from point A to point B. If this was a restaurant or the employees were giving free flights away, you would have an argument. AA isn't in the business of selling $10 cans of beer, so there is no argument to be had here.
But airlines are in the business of ancillary charging... bags, seat assignment, meals, fees for making reservations through an agent. Some flights may only 'make' the airline $50. If a flight attendant gives away 50 cans of beer, that flight suddenly makes a loss.
railmatt likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
There are some bars that I go to on a regular basis, and occasionally the bartender will give me a free round, perhaps to incentivize my continued patronage--isn't this kind of the same thing?
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by donotblink
There are some bars that I go to on a regular basis, and occasionally the bartender will give me a free round, perhaps to incentivize my continued patronage--isn't this kind of the same thing?
AA is operating 6700+ bars a day with a few dozen "regulars" in each. It adds up.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by MARINFLL
I think the main reason they don't make MCE and EXP benefits the same is that they clearly do not have enough food as many more people in MCE would take sandwiches and snacks if they were complementary. I've been in an exit row and as EXP and sometimes they have ran out of food items by the time they arrive at row 15. If all MCE people got free sandwiches and snacks, they definitely would run out before they got half way back through the plane. Less revenue (from passengers purchasing snacks) and unhappy people (because they ran out), which are probably things they wish to avoid.
Given the thread, I was referring to just the drink policy not the food...
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
But airlines are in the business of ancillary charging... bags, seat assignment, meals, fees for making reservations through an agent. Some flights may only 'make' the airline $50. If a flight attendant gives away 50 cans of beer, that flight suddenly makes a loss.
I agree. Flight attendants should not be giving away free booze if policy requires them to charge for it.

Those same flight attendants should be aware of the new MCE policy regarding beer/wine/spirits, and they should be adhering to it. From day one.

AA should change its name to "Conair". The prisoners (flight attendants) have total autonomy over the onboard experience. AA management is preoccupied with bending over for investors, and that same management cannot be bothered with ensuring policies are being properly followed.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Djokison

surely the kind of employee you want is one that actually knows how to deliver the product correctly more like it.
AAway, Djokison, AANYC1981 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Just flew DEN-PHX and was sitting in row 9 on a 321, so I overheard the FA talking about the new MCE enhancements and how they started giving alcohol on June 5th etc etc. When the cart came by ordered double woodford and no issue with asking for payment. Hopefully by now it's fleetwide knowledge.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Sitting on 90 now in 8H. About to test lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.