Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA Charging For Liquor/Drinks in MCE

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by SpinOn2
Heck could have just pointed to your overhead bin, which likely at this point has the sticker that says "Main Cabin Extra."

All of this is inexcusable to me. FA's get pre-flight memos all the time, every day of news and things for the airline. The MCE bit about free alcohol is surely in there, they just choose not to read or pay attention to their policy apparently.
Oh I did point to it. And she just told me I was wrong and she understands that all of this is very confusing (I guess it was confusing for her).

As a follow-up for anyone interested, I put in a complaint on aa.com on Monday and got a follow-up call this morning asking for a screenshot of the receipt (they couldn't find it or they said they would have already processed the refund). I sent that along and they confirmed I would be refunded.
AAway, wrp96 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Funny that I'm on PHL to TPA right now in an Exit row seat. I paid for my drink, then later after reading this, asked the FA about it. She confirmed that we should not have paid. She reversed the charges (for me and those in my row) and bought another round.

I'm a hero to my seatmates. Thanks FT!
deeruck, serfty, AAway and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by crazcarl
Oh I did point to it. And she just told me I was wrong and she understands that all of this is very confusing (I guess it was confusing for her).

As a follow-up for anyone interested, I put in a complaint on aa.com on Monday and got a follow-up call this morning asking for a screenshot of the receipt (they couldn't find it or they said they would have already processed the refund). I sent that along and they confirmed I would be refunded.
Which is abysmal customer service. Instead of ensuring that processes are in place to make this supposed enhancement flawless, AA relies on the clunky processes of making customers complain, provide receipts, and then wait for a refund, knowing that a large percentage of fliers will never do so.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Which is abysmal customer service. Instead of ensuring that processes are in place to make this supposed enhancement flawless, AA relies on the clunky processes of making customers complain, provide receipts, and then wait for a refund, knowing that a large percentage of fliers will never do so.
Please tell me you are not surprised by management's refusal / reluctance / inability to ensure that a procedure or policy is being properly implemented.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by lightbulbs

Pretty crazy to have this level of complexity for something that doesn't exactly cost them a lot. I mean how much is a spirit than beer/wine? And why not make the MCE and EXP benefit consistent in terms of number (either way)? That could at least simplify to free beer, wine, and spirits (one of many) for MCE and EXP and then if they really want to do something special for Japan, SYD, AKL, HKG they could do the same for all Y?
I think the main reason they don't make MCE and EXP benefits the same is that they clearly do not have enough food as many more people in MCE would take sandwiches and snacks if they were complementary. I've been in an exit row and as EXP and sometimes they have ran out of food items by the time they arrive at row 15. If all MCE people got free sandwiches and snacks, they definitely would run out before they got half way back through the plane. Less revenue (from passengers purchasing snacks) and unhappy people (because they ran out), which are probably things they wish to avoid.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by jcatman
Please tell me you are not surprised by management's refusal / reluctance / inability to ensure that a procedure or policy is being properly implemented.
I'm not surprised. I'm annoyed, frustrated, and clearly not recommending AA to others. But I'm not surprised.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by crazcarl

I heard back from AA yesterday (roughly a week after filing a complaint, which included my receipt # for the spirits purchase) offering to refund the purchase to my original form of payment. Honestly I would have preferred the 2,500 miles another poster reported but all in all a good outcome.

Text of the message below - doesn't look like a form reply (or perhaps there's a new form just for this issue)?

Thank you for contacting us. I'm very sorry to hear you were charged for a drink after our new benefits for Main Cabin Extra seating changed. I definitely understand the want to take advantage of those new benefits!
I have gone ahead and requested that the drink charge be refunded. Please allow up to 7 business days for it to show up to the original form of payment. Additionally, I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate management personnel to use as a training tool for our staff.
Again, I appreciate your patience regarding the matter, [name], and we look forward to welcoming you aboard soon!
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
I heard back from AA yesterday (roughly a week after filing a complaint, which included my receipt # for the spirits purchase) offering to refund the purchase to my original form of payment. Honestly I would have preferred the 2,500 miles another poster reported but all in all a good outcome.

Text of the message below - doesn't look like a form reply (or perhaps there's a new form just for this issue)?

Thank you for contacting us. I'm very sorry to hear you were charged for a drink after our new benefits for Main Cabin Extra seating changed. I definitely understand the want to take advantage of those new benefits!
I have gone ahead and requested that the drink charge be refunded. Please allow up to 7 business days for it to show up to the original form of payment. Additionally, I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate management personnel to use as a training tool for our staff.
Again, I appreciate your patience regarding the matter, [name], and we look forward to welcoming you aboard soon!
Positive outcome which is good, but man, that's a lot of work for a free cold one.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Data point:

I flew in the exit row DCA-DFW 6/14. I ordered a woodford on the rocks and the flight attendant held his hand out for my credit card. I started to go through the motions of handing him my card and remembered the drink benefit. I asked "hasn't the main cabin extra drink benefit started?" He looked a bit perplexed and said something to the other FA on the cart.

I couldn't hear them very well, but the other FA pointed to the main cabin extra placard above the seat and also pointed at the tablet. I think I heard him say something about the tablet also indicating the drink should be free. The FA serving my row apologized and handed me the drink.

Not a big deal but I agree with everyone who has posted that this should be a really simple rollout but somehow has been flubbed. There should be few if any reports that people in rows designated as MCE are being asked to pay for something that they shouldn't have to pay for - this isn't rocket science!
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:59 am

Onboard right now. Gave my upgrade to my family so sitting in mce with no CK benefits.
Ordered a drink. FA told me it's $8. I reminded her of the new MCE benefit to which she replied ''oh, that's only for select flights.' I told her I believed it's now fleetwide. A quick check with another FA and she came back with 'my bad... You were right.' . And gave me a 2nd Tito's for her mistake.
JDiver, deeruck, apeortdz and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Perhaps as part of the announcements when the cabin door is closed and passengers are reminded to place their personal devices into "airplane mode", the lead Flight Attendant could make an announcement TO THE CREW, reminding them of the new MCE benefit.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Asked for an IPA in MCE on DCA-ATL yesterday (Republic). After handing me the drink FA said "$7 please." I reminded of the new benefit and was told "I didn't get any memo about that." After discussing with the other FA, she returned and said "never mind, you're good." Glad it worked out, but it's certainly a bit awkward for all involved to have to discuss this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by danielonn
<It helps to have printed copy of the policy to show to a Flight Attendant who is trying to charge for something that should be included int he price of your ticket.
If I had a printed copy of every policy that has been violated or ignored by an FA or GA through my travels, there'd be no room in my bag for anything else.
dpb132 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
How often are MCE seats filled with non-status flyers? My cynicism tells me that management would prefer we ask for the benefit as opposed to automatically extending the benefit in order for them to charge the unenlightened. It's dastardly, I know, but it's a sleazy industry.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K
Flying JFK to AUS last night and initial drink service was done properly, 2 woodford's and a diet coke, no charge. Later, another FA brought me another round and requested $16. I pointed out the MCE and he said beer and wine only. He processed my card while I grumbled about the lack of clarity, and expressed that I would be reaching out to the Twitter team and getting a refund. Then I realized I was ticketed in 8F but seated in 8A...because the lady in 8A had already mistakenly taken 8F. He reversed the charge and then charged it again, to the correct seat this time as we continued to talk. He pulled out his phone and showed me the email, clearly indicating complimentary beer, wine, and spirits. He said Woodford was "hard liquor" not a spirit...to which the entire row began laughing. He reversed the charge and apologized.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.