Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA Tales for 2018 on AA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Passengers need to remember, that status of any kind does buy you class.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by fotographer
Or, as I’ve told some taller people who might feel entitled (I’m 6’4” / 193 cm), “height isn’t the same as stature”.
prw555, george 3 and Gringa like this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
I think we can lay off the "CK" effect. On my 100 plus legs/year, most DYKWIA's have been from the "golds" or the "priority credit cards" pax, not the CK's. In fact, I have not witness a CK moment yet (I'm sure one is on the horizon).
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
In fact, all we have is anecdotal evidence in this thread. There doesn’t seem to be much hard data demonstrating any particular AAdvantage status tier or other category of people is prone to cause DYKWIA incidents. Let’s just refrain from stereotyping and share the stories, please.

Thank you,

Fraser, wrp96 and txpenny like this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by fotographer
You probably forgot the "NOT" in your sentence after does
fotographer and Gino Troian like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Admirals Club Member, HHonors
Originally Posted by txpenny
I think we can lay off the "CK" effect. On my 100 plus legs/year, most DYKWIA's have been from the "golds" or the "priority credit cards" pax, not the CK's. In fact, I have not witness a CK moment yet (I'm sure one is on the horizon).

As I gold, my usual move is to see myself #31 for upgrade and then pull a DYKWICGAS (do you know where I can get a sandwich?).
JDiver, beachfan, bbbb and 14 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I think we can all agree that the people who will pull the DYKWIA have some in-built DYKWIAism, that regardless of whether they are nothing, gold, diamond, or space dust, they'll be doing the same thing.
JDiver, Fraser, janehoya and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by kwguy77
I say loudly "This woman must be really important"
She turns around and says, "I don't think I am important. But a man should let a lady on first. You need to be more aware of your surroundings"
Gone are the days when men were gentlemen. Gone are the days when you would't hear a rude shout from a gentleman. I bet he was probably wearing his baseball hat too
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BeatCal
Gone are the days when men were gentlemen. Gone are the days when you would't hear a rude shout from a gentleman. I bet he was probably wearing his baseball hat too
we got gender equality (or much more) now. Not a bad trade off.

I dont think anyone wants to go back to the days where "men were gentlemen" ... maybe she could have boarded first back then, but she probably wasnt working or doing what she wanted to do either.

politeness continues. And that's on both sides. Doesn't give one gender carte blanche to cut lines.
pa3lsvt and jinglish like this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:21 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I just came across a video on you tube: a Southwest flt was cancelled and they had one GA to rebook a plane load of pax; one pax (back in the line) jumped to the front, "I need to get on this flt...DYKWIA", the GA got on airport PA: "we have a passenger at Gate XX who doesn't know who he is, can someone help him"
[whether this was a real incident...the retort by the GA seems "nice"...
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by Antarius
we got gender equality (or much more) now. Not a bad trade off.

I dont think anyone wants to go back to the days where "men were gentlemen" ... maybe she could have boarded first back then, but she probably wasnt working or doing what she wanted to do either.

politeness continues. And that's on both sides. Doesn't give one gender carte blanche to cut lines.
You obviously are not from the South where we still teach kids to say Mam and not to wear the hat inside and to hold the door for a woman or older person and to give one's bus seat to a woman. I would not change that. Agree does not give carte blanche - but should be offered
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by kwguy77
Earlier this year, I was on a flight from DFW, I think going to LGA. Anyway, boarding was about to begin, and a line starts forming. I'm in line, group 2, letting group one and military pass me. As I am standing in line, a woman who was behind me, steps out of line and gets in front of me (she doesn't say a word). There is a guy next to me and we look at each other in dis belief.
I say loudly "This woman must be really important"
She turns around and says, "I don't think I am important. But a man should let a lady on first. You need to be more aware of your surroundings"
Me: "I am aware" (as I point out to the military person I just let pass me)
At this point, group 2 is called. The lady hands her boarding pass to the agent. I heard the buzz from the scanner, SHE WAS AT THE WRONG GATE!!! I let out a huge, mocking laugh, karma! She walked away with her head a little low.
Why are you in line if you are group 2 and group 1 is boarding. The fact that you have to let people get by you indicates that you are part of the problem. Better to just wait and get in line when your group is called. That's why the gate area is such a mess.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
good lord, is AA handing out CK like candy now since ive switched to BA in the last three years? i never saw such entitlement as in the brief 2 years i was CK before moving to LON! now i just save it for being gold guest list or premiere one year on BA. LOLOL.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VSLover
good lord, is AA handing out CK like candy now since ive switched to BA in the last three years? i never saw such entitlement as in the brief 2 years i was CK before moving to LON! now i just save it for being gold guest list or premiere one year on BA. LOLOL.
Don't get your hopes up - GGLs get a whole heap of nothing on BA
rossmacd likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by pdac1975
Why are you in line if you are group 2 and group 1 is boarding. The fact that you have to let people get by you indicates that you are part of the problem. Better to just wait and get in line when your group is called. That's why the gate area is such a mess.
It is really sad that we, as intelligent life forms, have to be lined up in groups 1-7 and queued just to create an orderly boarding process. When UA started doing this, I thought it was silly. Now, especially after boarding like this with BA at LHR last week, I see how much it helps - as I don't have to weave through a bunch of Group 4's to get to the jet bridge as Group 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.