Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA Tales for 2018 on AA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by spartacus
Hate to break it to you, but the proper way to merge is not a mile back, but near the merge point. That's why tourists and truck drivers love each other so much.
You seem to be confusing a highway merge with a “this lane ends/must turn right (or left).” On a highway, or general merge, I agree. But waiting until the last minute on a forced turn lane (when the striping has gone solid) is a different matter.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jordyn
This story is confusing to me as AA doesn't have a sizer for personal items, as far as I know.
it has both. They rarely enforce it (or any baggage for that matter).

I've had my DYKWIA fit too on something like this. 777 in J and they were hassling me about a bag being slightly too big. Was not pleased.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Long time lurker, first time poster!

First story really isnt too much of a DYKWIA...maybe more of a DYKWIA-not. Wife and I were leave out of Frankfurt couple years ago, booked in F class on the old 3-cabin 777. They start to board and call first class. We get in line behind a few people and a few people in line behind us. A person in a wheel chair is first and they pause for a moment to get them down jetbridge. An older man comes up to my wife and I and says "They are boarding business class, are you in business class?" and the way he said it, I got the impression he expected us to say no....which I did, "No, we are in First Class." Probably backing up his suspicions were my wife and I are in our 20s and usually just have our backpacks. Make matters worse, we probably looked a bit disheveled since we were SSSS'd and anyone getting secondary inspection by the Germans know how intimidating it is. We had like 3 different places we were shuffled off to for questioning and bag searches (the people were nice...it was just intimidating).

Anyways, a real DYKWIA story occured a couple weeks ago in ORD. So like a most airports, there are usually a few airport workers at the TSA pre line checking boarding passes before even letting you in line. At this checkpoint, there were 2 workers checking boarding passes. A family went up to the worker, not knowing it was TSA pre, and the worker had to explain where they should go. In this brief few seconds, more people got in a quasi line behind this family, including my wife and I - maybe 10 people in all while the worker told the family where to go.
During this time, the other worker was free and a woman walked up, showed her boarding pass, and this worker told her she wasnt TSA pre and she had to go to the next check point. The DYKWIA in front of us called out to the woman as she walked by, "Hey, did you see this line here? You just cut infront of all these people" Anyways, another guy walks up but is okay'd through since he was TSA pre right at the time Mr. DYKWIA gets cleared through. He goes up to the person ahead of him and says "Hey, didnt you see the line? You jsut cut in front of all those people including me." Guy apologizes having I believe honestly not seen the small line - owing to the airport worker who was also checking documents being free. Well the entire line DYKWIA goes on and on to this guy, telling him he must not travel a lot, he shouldnt get special treatment, and just keeps going on and on.
Just a little karma, I am behind Mr.DYKWIA as he goes through the Xray machine. Twice it goes off and he angrily removes his belt. As he goes to put his belt through the scanner, I am waved through and I say to the TSA person (but loudly enough so Mr. DYKWIA can hear) "ha...rookie." and I go through. I had to make sure I was 110% sure I would not have set it off since that would have been real mud in my face if I also set it off. The TSA agent laughed though when I said it, saying "Ha! Yeah I know, so many rookies"
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by spartacus
As to the bogus use of 'handicap' services, I take joy in having people who park in handicap spots ticketed. Here, it's a no-questions asked $100 fine. I have several friends who are wheelchair-bound and it really ticks me off.
I have a legitimate, legal handicapped placard. I forgot to put it on my rear view mirror one day.

The ticket was for $375 here in Southern California. I called and found out I could send copies of my docs and get it reduced to a $25 admin fee.

Agreed, I hate seeing handicapped space violators. I really need that spot!
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GeckoSnipp
Long time lurker, first time poster!

First story really isnt too much of a DYKWIA...maybe more of a DYKWIA-not. Wife and I were leave out of Frankfurt couple years ago, booked in F class on the old 3-cabin 777. They start to board and call first class. We get in line behind a few people and a few people in line behind us. A person in a wheel chair is first and they pause for a moment to get them down jetbridge. An older man comes up to my wife and I and says "They are boarding business class, are you in business class?" and the way he said it, I got the impression he expected us to say no....which I did, "No, we are in First Class." Probably backing up his suspicions were my wife and I are in our 20s and usually just have our backpacks. Make matters worse, we probably looked a bit disheveled since we were SSSS'd and anyone getting secondary inspection by the Germans know how intimidating it is. We had like 3 different places we were shuffled off to for questioning and bag searches (the people were nice...it was just intimidating).

Anyways, a real DYKWIA story occured a couple weeks ago in ORD. So like a most airports, there are usually a few airport workers at the TSA pre line checking boarding passes before even letting you in line. At this checkpoint, there were 2 workers checking boarding passes. A family went up to the worker, not knowing it was TSA pre, and the worker had to explain where they should go. In this brief few seconds, more people got in a quasi line behind this family, including my wife and I - maybe 10 people in all while the worker told the family where to go.
During this time, the other worker was free and a woman walked up, showed her boarding pass, and this worker told her she wasnt TSA pre and she had to go to the next check point. The DYKWIA in front of us called out to the woman as she walked by, "Hey, did you see this line here? You just cut infront of all these people" Anyways, another guy walks up but is okay'd through since he was TSA pre right at the time Mr. DYKWIA gets cleared through. He goes up to the person ahead of him and says "Hey, didnt you see the line? You jsut cut in front of all those people including me." Guy apologizes having I believe honestly not seen the small line - owing to the airport worker who was also checking documents being free. Well the entire line DYKWIA goes on and on to this guy, telling him he must not travel a lot, he shouldnt get special treatment, and just keeps going on and on.
Just a little karma, I am behind Mr.DYKWIA as he goes through the Xray machine. Twice it goes off and he angrily removes his belt. As he goes to put his belt through the scanner, I am waved through and I say to the TSA person (but loudly enough so Mr. DYKWIA can hear) "ha...rookie." and I go through. I had to make sure I was 110% sure I would not have set it off since that would have been real mud in my face if I also set it off. The TSA agent laughed though when I said it, saying "Ha! Yeah I know, so many rookies"
Welcome to FT. And you made a good first post. Thanks.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Like she is supposed to remember you from a month ago? Get over yourself.
Not that she should remember me, but she shouldn't be harassing passengers over their medical equipment. It isn't even the TSA's job to police baggage allowances, she's supposed to check boarding passes when she's at the front of the line.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
$100? California's state law has the minimum fine for parking in a disabled parking space at $250, with the maximum held at $500.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
You seem to be confusing a highway merge with a “this lane ends/must turn right (or left).” On a highway, or general merge, I agree. But waiting until the last minute on a forced turn lane (when the striping has gone solid) is a different matter.
Gotta agree there. If the lane is for exiting and there is a long line of slow moving traffic there, it is a bit rude for others to speed pass the bulk of the line, and then want to squeeze in near the front of the line.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Gig103
Not that she should remember me, but she shouldn't be harassing passengers over their medical equipment. It isn't even the TSA's job to police baggage allowances, she's supposed to check boarding passes when she's at the front of the line.
happens to me, and the the TSA agent wants to see it. This isn’t at the X-ray screening point. I say it’s an invasion of my medical privacy and the airline has already approved it. But that only works sometimes.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Maybe not DWKWIA, more of a "Do You Know How Much I Know" moment. Traveling out of DFW on the early flight Tuesday after Memorial day (faux Monday), I was trying to be helpful, like normal, to PreCheck line enterers who freak out at the size of the beginning-of-the-week line, reassuring them that it's a fast line and they're probably better off right where they are. DFW really does a good job moving those early morning lines along. I offered my normal advice to the first traveller who was miffed at the length of the TSA line and said from where we were standing (gate C17), it would take 15 minutes or less to clear TSA (gate C21). After a genuine thank you, a DSM flyer standing in front of me boldly calls me out and informs everyone within an ear shot that she travels this route all of the time and that it's a minimum of 45 minutes to clear TSA from where we were standing. After a glance from the confused pax entering the line, I reassured him that 15 minutes is good estimate. That's when the fun begins.

DSM flyer, loudly, informs me that I have no idea what I'm talking about and that I a being extremely obnoxious. I don't say anything but I do look at my watch. DSM flyer sees this and challenges me to a wager, at which point I do get a little obnoxious, pull out my wallet which had about $400 in it and tell her sure. She does not accept.

Fast forward 10 minutes, we get to within 12 people of the TSA check station when DSM flyer goes into panic mode, claiming she doesn't have a boarding pass (which was clearly on her phone) and leaves the line to print a paper pass. Embarrassed, her traveling partner turns to me to apologize for her coworker's bad behavior.
JDiver, Statman, fedechat and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
One of the most entertaining threads of 2018 so far!

Keep the stories coming!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by idainc
This is a DYKW SHE IS ?

Almost 15 years ago I was connecting in LAX and was waiting on a late connection. I was spread out with roll a board and laptop out etc. The FL lounge was nearly empty when I arrived and had begun to fill up.

I had consolidated myself and belongings when a group of very self-important group of 3 arrived and began scouting out their favored location. It was where I was sitting.

A man 30 years my junior announces that Dame A…..s (now 82 years old) must take an important call and could “he help me to another area ?” “No, thanks. I’m OK right here.” He points to his principal and asks me “If I know who she is?”

“Yes I do” and she took the call sitting right next to me.
I love hearing these recollections of standing up to the self important hangers on - keep it up ! Glad to see Ms. Andrews was dignified. Just like the departed Joan Rivers - they treated her like royalty, and she treated them like old friends (in LAX FL).
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:49 pm

(deleted - attached to wrong response.)
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
She was really a fraud. A good person to avoid dealing with, for any reason, given people are generally very consistent in behavior and we know what sort her values are.

At least Ada Quonsett was both endearing and, in the end, heroic. (Disclosure: Helen Hayes MacArthur was a valued family friend, so I’m biased.) “My late husband played the violin. Not professionally, but he was very good. He once played the Minute Waltz in 58 seconds.“
I am so envious of that friendship.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by steveopenskies
Flip-flops in F/C?
Had to chime in here...I'm in shorts and flip flops in F and J all the time on early morning and evening/late night flights. I'm either heading home or to the hotel right when I land, so I never give it a second thought. I grew up flying non-rev AA so I always dressed up regardless. Now on paid fares, I don't care

But I do agree with a poster above that there's a slight grin when sitting down next to a DYKWIA. Normally one of the first questions asked is, "so what do you do for a living?" That said, I've actually exchanged countless biz cards with people, so doing my best to be a good ambassador for the t-shirt/sandals crowd lol

Btw love reading all of these stories!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.