Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA Tales for 2018 on AA

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 7:04 pm

This is a DYKW SHE IS ?

Almost 15 years ago I was connecting in LAX and was waiting on a late connection. I was spread out with roll a board and laptop out etc. The FL lounge was nearly empty when I arrived and had begun to fill up.

I had consolidated myself and belongings when a group of very self-important group of 3 arrived and began scouting out their favored location. It was where I was sitting.

A man 30 years my junior announces that Dame A…..s (now 82 years old) must take an important call and could “he help me to another area ?” “No, thanks. I’m OK right here.” He points to his principal and asks me “If I know who she is?”

“Yes I do” and she took the call sitting right next to me.
Cotumely likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 8:05 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Was I a DYKWiA?

I admit, today I was probably a DYKWIA. Was flying LGA-DFW, first flight on AA since early 2016, as all my domestic flying is on UA.
Anway, I always travel with a 22 inch tumi rollaboard, as well a duffle/weekender type bag as my personal item. In my over 500K miles flown since i started using these 2 bags as my carry ons, I’ve never been questioned about my setup by gate agents, or people who police the entrance to the security line.
But today, the people who stand outside the security lines at LGA D gates started yelling as I walked by them: “2 carry on!! 2 carry on!!” I knew what was going to happen so I tried to ignore them and kept walking, but one of them caught up and said to put my personal item in the sizer. Yes, the bag is technically too large to be a personal item, but it always goes under the seat in front of me (only fly F), and it’s never been an issue.
Anyway, she says put it in the sizer, it’s AA policy etc etc. I have no idea if these people actually work for AA or for a random contracted company, so I say, “you don’t even work for AA, I fly every week with these bags and have never had an issue, I’m in first class.” I told her to call over the AA station manager if it was really an issue. She put its in the sizer, and says ok just go.
So yes I was probably a bit of DYKWIA, but hey, are these people even qualified to say if I can take my bags past security? If it’s a airline employee gate agent I understand, but do these people monitoring security lines actually work for AA?
Just a bit annoyed as I’ve never had an issue with this before. But hey, it’ll probably be another 2 years until I’m back on AA, so oh well!
Old May 31, 2018, 8:25 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by idainc
This is a DYKW SHE IS ?

Almost 15 years ago I was connecting in LAX and was waiting on a late connection. I was spread out with roll a board and laptop out etc. The FL lounge was nearly empty when I arrived and had begun to fill up.

I had consolidated myself and belongings when a group of very self-important group of 3 arrived and began scouting out their favored location. It was where I was sitting.

A man 30 years my junior announces that Dame A…..s (now 82 years old) must take an important call and could “he help me to another area ?” “No, thanks. I’m OK right here.” He points to his principal and asks me “If I know who she is?”

Yes I do” and she took the call sitting right next to me.
I'm anxious to know: "who was she?".
Old May 31, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by S.R
I admit, today I was probably a DYKWIA. Was flying LGA-DFW, first flight on AA since early 2016, as all my domestic flying is on UA.
Anway, I always travel with a 22 inch tumi rollaboard, as well a duffle/weekender type bag as my personal item. In my over 500K miles flown since i started using these 2 bags as my carry ons, I’ve never been questioned about my setup by gate agents, or people who police the entrance to the security line.
But today, the people who stand outside the security lines at LGA D gates started yelling as I walked by them: “2 carry on!! 2 carry on!!” I knew what was going to happen so I tried to ignore them and kept walking, but one of them caught up and said to put my personal item in the sizer. Yes, the bag is technically too large to be a personal item, but it always goes under the seat in front of me (only fly F), and it’s never been an issue.
Anyway, she says put it in the sizer, it’s AA policy etc etc. I have no idea if these people actually work for AA or for a random contracted company, so I say, “you don’t even work for AA, I fly every week with these bags and have never had an issue, I’m in first class.” I told her to call over the AA station manager if it was really an issue. She put its in the sizer, and says ok just go.
So yes I was probably a bit of DYKWIA, but hey, are these people even qualified to say if I can take my bags past security? If it’s a airline employee gate agent I understand, but do these people monitoring security lines actually work for AA?
Just a bit annoyed as I’ve never had an issue with this before. But hey, it’ll probably be another 2 years until I’m back on AA, so oh well!
We are with you. Our (Mr and Mrs) bags are all carry on all the time. We have been this way since way before 9/11 due to some lost checked bags to HNL in the 90s. Our collection always works on OW flights, and more recently SAS, BA, UA, JL, and DL. No matter where you fly, you should check to make sure your carry ons all work. And be prepared if ignorant GAs get nasty. Otherwise you might not fly at all.
Old May 31, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by S.R
I don't think it's a DYKWIA in a bad way. I was late to board out of PHX once and the GA was walking the line and passing out gate check bags as the overheads were supposedly already full. When she got to be I showed her our 4 FC boarding passes and didn't have to gate check my carry on.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by S.R
But today, the people who stand outside the security lines at LGA D gates started yelling as I walked by them: “2 carry on!! 2 carry on!!”
Yuck. I had a TSA agent in Memphis try to scold me. "TWO BAGS ONLY SIR". "This is my CPAP device" "oh"
Fast forward a month, I'm back at the airport, same lady, same "TWO BAGS ONLY SIR". This time I tore into her. "I told you last month, this is my medical device. It is not luggage." That garnered a half-hearted apology. I don't know why TSA is monitoring for baggage allowance anyway and these days (I haven't been though there since) with BE fares who knows. Probably just overzealous.

TSA Extortion PreCheck has made a world of difference in my flying experience.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Gig103
Yuck. I had a TSA agent in Memphis try to scold me. "TWO BAGS ONLY SIR". "This is my CPAP device" "oh"
Fast forward a month, I'm back at the airport, same lady, same "TWO BAGS ONLY SIR". This time I tore into her. "I told you last month, this is my medical device. It is not luggage." That garnered a half-hearted apology. I don't know why TSA is monitoring for baggage allowance anyway and these days (I haven't been though there since) with BE fares who knows. Probably just overzealous.

TSA Extortion PreCheck has made a world of difference in my flying experience.
Like she is supposed to remember you from a month ago? Get over yourself.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Julie Andrews.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by apeortdz
Julie Andrews.
I imagine she got on with it and didn't particularly care. This based on being seated a row behind her on a JFK-LAX, and she was the most unassuming and gracious person. She herself doesn't seem like a DYKWIA type at all.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
Scammers Make It Tough For Legit Requests

I really did just have major oral surgery prior to my flight from DTW-LIS in 2000. The bandage around my head was not a ruse and the bands holding my bottom jaw to my upper jaw gave just enough room to force the Jello and cold soup through with the food syringe I was given. I was SO thankful that the gate supervisor for NW put me upstairs to sleep in relative calm. The pain meds knocked me out and they had to wake me up upon arrival. But yeah, we've all seen some doozies...
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by thunderlounge
:-::-::-::-::-:

These are the same type of people that know the right lane (left for those driving on the left side) ends and need to move over, but are “too good/important” to properly get in the correct lane in time. Thus they end up almost taking out someone at the last minute.

Me? Take out my front end and buy me a new ride.
Hate to break it to you, but the proper way to merge is not a mile back, but near the merge point. That's why tourists and truck drivers love each other so much.
wrp96, jerry305, TSparky and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by DMPHL
I imagine she got on with it and didn't particularly care. This based on being seated a row behind her on a JFK-LAX, and she was the most unassuming and gracious person. She herself doesn't seem like a DYKWIA type at all.
I suspect you may be right. My comment applied to her small entourage who got a tither and had their feathers ruffled. Toss in a giant world class hissy fit too.
DMPHL and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:18 am

As to the bogus use of 'handicap' services, I take joy in having people who park in handicap spots ticketed. Here, it's a no-questions asked $100 fine. I have several friends who are wheelchair-bound and it really ticks me off.

Last edited by spartacus; Jun 1, 2018 at 9:35 am Reason: Was trying to quote another comment but lost it.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by S.R
This story is confusing to me as AA doesn't have a sizer for personal items, as far as I know.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jordyn
This story is confusing to me as AA doesn't have a sizer for personal items, as far as I know.
If you look at it closely you will see that the sizer does both.
Oxnardjan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.