Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA Tales for 2018 on AA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by econometrics
It is really sad that we, as intelligent life forms, have to be lined up in groups 1-7 and queued just to create an orderly boarding process. When UA started doing this, I thought it was silly. Now, especially after boarding like this with BA at LHR last week, I see how much it helps - as I don't have to weave through a bunch of Group 4's to get to the jet bridge as Group 1.
You should see the BA boarding lines at BOM.. not good
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:51 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Pax, especially first timers (or don't understand English) hear the GA announcement (re group boarding), but just fathom that the flt is boarding and they should be in the queue...
PS: For many routes even Greyhound boards pax by seat numbers.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fotographer
You should see the BA boarding lines at BOM.. not good
Care to elaborate ? I have boarded BA in BOM/LHR and many other stations. Did not notice
much difference...
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by flyalways
Care to elaborate ? I have boarded BA in BOM/LHR and many other stations. Did not notice
much difference...
The biggest difference I see between them is that at LHR, the gate agents seem to be stricter in terms of group boarding than at BOM.
Ever noticed that even though there are lines for groups, most passengers seem always to stand in the wrong line anyway, plus at Bom when they call for those passengers needing more time to board, it seems
that the whole plane full of passengers need more time to board.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics
It is really sad that we, as intelligent life forms, have to be lined up in groups 1-7 and queued just to create an orderly boarding process. When UA started doing this, I thought it was silly. Now, especially after boarding like this with BA at LHR last week, I see how much it helps - as I don't have to weave through a bunch of Group 4's to get to the jet bridge as Group 1.

I just absolutely love when they call for CK's and a rush of group 4's plug the boarding lane before they even call group 1 and you have to push through them as they make a fuss.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
I just absolutely love when they call for CK's and a rush of group 4's plug the boarding lane before they even call group 1 and you have to push through them as they make a fuss.
Last week, none of us from group 1 could get through the group 4 people blocking the lane, so the GA went onto group 2. When somebody from group 1 called out "How about letting us group 1 people actually get up there to board before going onto the next groups?" one of the idiots blocking the lane goes "I don't know what the big deal is. We're all going to the same place." If it isn't such a big deal, then why are you blocking the boarding lane so you can be the first from your group to board?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:18 pm

Exactly. It isn’t rocket science, or anything above kindergarten level numbers. Yet the gate lice plague remains.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA - My other choices are severely limited
Last Sunday in LAS the GA calls Group 1 so the DW & I fall in line.It turned out the 4 in front us happened to be Group 7. In a louder than usual voice each one was told to wait until their group number was called. (semi-surprised). I got to wondering after the first 2 were told to wait what were the other 2 thinking? I was waiting for a DYKWIA .
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:11 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Nomorepretzels
Last Sunday in LAS the GA calls Group 1 so the DW & I fall in line.It turned out the 4 in front us happened to be Group 7. In a louder than usual voice each one was told to wait until their group number was called. (semi-surprised). I got to wondering after the first 2 were told to wait what were the other 2 thinking? I was waiting for a DYKWIA .
Yes IF pax fathom airport queues and other nuances things would have been different...but they don't.
I've even seen pax wanting to choose (what they think are) "nice" seats, oblivious to what is printed on their bps [I'm not referring to self-upgraders.]
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Admirals Club Member, HHonors
If I recall, the lice really started to be a problem after the airlines started charging for checked baggage. The overhead bin wars really added to the general urgency to get on the plane. I understand the desire to carry-on from an IRROPS standpoint, but the whole experience is so much nicer if I check my bags.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by kahdgar
If I recall, the lice really started to be a problem after the airlines started charging for checked baggage. The overhead bin wars really added to the general urgency to get on the plane. I understand the desire to carry-on from an IRROPS standpoint, but the whole experience is so much nicer if I check my bags.
I'm not sure I agree. I've been traveling for 15 years or so and, other than when planes were empty post 9/11, it has been a problem with Gate Lice. AA has pretty much done a good job of labeling the group numbers properly (F used to be its own group before group 1, which was pretty stupid.) The only problem that remains confusing is that folks pay for Priority, but still might be in Group 4 or maybe higher. I like what UA has in BOS with the gates that determine whether you can board. I could stand there all day watching people get rejected. I think it is a mix of folks who are self-important, don't know better, or aren't really aware that they are gumming up the process. Those same people screw up the aisles in grocery stores where overhead bags and priority have nothing to do with it.
Marschel and OTD like this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: AA CK, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Platinum
Agreed!

Originally Posted by txpenny
I think we can lay off the "CK" effect. On my 100 plus legs/year, most DYKWIA's have been from the "golds" or the "priority credit cards" pax, not the CK's. In fact, I have not witness a CK moment yet (I'm sure one is on the horizon).
I've seen some very self-entitled DYKWIAs, and I got the sense they had no status at all! That said, I wouldn't blame people for labeling CK as a group. When a CK rep helps me at an airport, I'm generally friendly... "please" and "thank you" basic manners, which can be hard on long travel days. Yet I've had many of these agents say, "wow, you are the nicest CK I've ever had... you're so kind/friendly/sweet." It makes me wonder what kind of crap a "normal" CK gives them? I hope to never be normal!
apeortdz, wrp96 and nmc980 like this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by giants_fan
I've seen some very self-entitled DYKWIAs, and I got the sense they had no status at all! That said, I wouldn't blame people for labeling CK as a group. When a CK rep helps me at an airport, I'm generally friendly... "please" and "thank you" basic manners, which can be hard on long travel days. Yet I've had many of these agents say, "wow, you are the nicest CK I've ever had... you're so kind/friendly/sweet." It makes me wonder what kind of crap a "normal" CK gives them? I hope to never be normal!
I had a similar experience by a rep who met me at LHR. Her smart device had stopped working and she profusely apologized for not knowing where I was headed for my connection. I told her it was no problem and I'd just look it up for both of us to know. She was very relieved and basically told me some CK's would have chewed her out for this.
giants_fan likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by dave_261
I had a similar experience by a rep who met me at LHR. Her smart device had stopped working and she profusely apologized for not knowing where I was headed for my connection. I told her it was no problem and I'd just look it up for both of us to know. She was very relieved and basically told me some CK's would have chewed her out for this.
AA should do something about that device if she's had several CKs complain
Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by giants_fan
Sounds like what she said to you did exactly what she wanted it to do.
giants_fan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.