Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

When does AA pay / reimburse lodging / hotel in misconnects / OSO / IROPS (“IRROPS”)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

When AA may issue you a voucher or reimburse you for lodging

When the issue is the responsibility of AA, the airline may provide a voucher or vouchers for lodging, meals and transportation, under the best of circumstances. These may not be to a convenient or nearby property. If you’re stuck at DFW, you probably won’t be staying at the Hyatt properties, for example. You may find, after waiting in a queue, you’re handed a voucher for the local “Notell Motel “, which neither offers a shuttle nor dining other than during very restricted hours, because AA has a contract with them for passengers in this circumstance. (AA vouchered us into the MIA DoubleTree Club some time ago - a total, grotty, filthy, roach-infested dump that was closed soon after - the six of us there should have been compensated for that abominable stay.)

It’s also possible they may tell you they’re out of vouchers. Have the delay and cause - very useful if AA us at fault and you’ve been told the flight is cancelled or delayed for a mechanical condition, lack of crew, etc. - documented in your PNR, and proceed as below.

If you are inconvenienced and there’s a lengthy reaccommodation or voucher queue, you may want to call AA through your status telephone number. If your flight is affected and it’s not a airport wide issue, and you’re at a hub like DFW, you might ask if there’s a reaccommodation desk nearby and go there.

If it’s an airport-wide issue, that’s a more serious problem. Try to call AA while you stand in queue. In case if hours-long disruption, in hubs such as DFW they might provide cots, blankets, snacks, etc. See The Guide to Sleeping in Airports”link below.

Alternatives:

If you have a higher end credit card (or travel insurance policy - some are even available as annual policies), you may just prefer calling your predilection hotel chain booking number and requesting the nearest hotel with a room and shuttle. You may want to inquire abit getting a “distressed passenger rate” to boot.

If you’re pretty sure the airline will reimburse you because the circumstances are so clear - and more likely you have status and are good at dealing with AACS, book it as a above.

In both cases, document as well as you can. If you can get an employee to enter an OSI (other service information) note into your PNR (passenger name record, the airline’s itinerary ) to note the reason for your inconvenience and anything you’re promised (such as a voucher for future travel), so much the better.

To contact AA for reimbursement, compensation, etc. contact AA Customer Relations.

When will AA likely not reimburse or voucher me for lodging?

When AA generally will not issue you a voucher or reimburse you for lodging (possibly might anyway if you’re a valuable customer such as Concierge Key - influencer of travel).

AA will generally not be responsible for lodging etc. when the conditions are beyond its control - most commonly, as a result of weather, even if the weather affected your aircraft at another location causing your current issue, including crews timing out as a result of such delays. The chain can be lengthy.

From the AA Conditions of Carriage (link):

Force majeure event means:
  • Any condition beyond American's control including, but without limitation, meteorological conditions, acts of God, riots, civil commotion, embargoes, wars, hostilities, disturbances or unsettled international conditions - actual threatened or reported. Also, because of any delay, demand, circumstances or requirement due, directly or indirectly to such conditions; or
  • Any strike, work stoppage, slowdown, lockout or any other labor related dispute involving or affecting American's service; or
  • Any government regulation, demand or requirement; or
  • Any shortage of labor, fuel or facilities of American or others; or
  • Any fact not reasonably foreseen, anticipated or predicted by American

See above for alternatives.

Note that though your inconvenience might de due to a “force majeure”event, you might still gain some compensation from AA.

Resources

FlyerTalk AA forum master threads:

Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers

IDB / Involuntarily Denied Boarding on AA & Compensation (master thread)

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

FAQ: TCP, "Linking" / link / merge itineraries / PNR

Questions for 2018 about, guide to, listing of, compensation

EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (applicable for European Community carriers and to AA when your flight originated in, and is disrupted in, Europe).

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc.

Other resources:

AA Conditions of Carriage (the rules that govern your travel with AA that AA imposes on you, sometimes called a “contract if adhesion”).

The Guide to Sleeping in Airports Lists best areas in airports around the world to catch some kip, and Lists public or paid access lounges.
Print Wikipost

When does AA pay / reimburse lodging / hotel in misconnects / OSO / IROPS (“IRROPS”)?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by schertz
The Citi Exec MC which gives Admirals Club Membership has excellent delay/cancellation protections. Much better than AMEX Plat (I have both but AMEX is worthless for IRROPS). I would strongly recommend the Citi card — for club access plus delay/cancel coverage it can’t be beat for dealing with AA from a small market (PIA).
You aren't kidding - I assumed it was not great and I just went to https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Travel and had no idea how many travel protection benefits they offer.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:58 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by schertz
The Citi Exec MC which gives Admirals Club Membership has excellent delay/cancellation protections. Much better than AMEX Plat (I have both but AMEX is worthless for IRROPS). I would strongly recommend the Citi card — for club access plus delay/cancel coverage it can’t be beat for dealing with AA from a small market (PIA).
As I found the hard way, if your first flight is delayed <6 hours, but you still misconnect, this card doesn't offer delay protection since it wasn't a 6 hour delay. Chase cards have much better policies!
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
AA delayed flight +22hrs = only hotel refund, no food costs?

Dear Frequent Flyers

A questions for the AA experts:

Was on AA136 on Tuesday which got delayed/ cancelled. Flagship Lounge rebooked me on AA108 next day (+22hrs) and 'I should book my hotel by myself and we'll refund'.

Contacted AA customer service via email and they came back today saying 'that they will refund hotel costs up to the contract rate'. No food costs will be reimbursed. It might be a very stupid question - but is this standard? No food vouchers or so were provided.

Fair to say that I went back into the lounge after the rebooking to get some food and especially more Champagne - I guess I had a bottle myself which could be considered a reimbursement itself - but I am still wondering: food costs are not refunded? I know e.g. BA/ LH refund if you have to stay overnight.

Any thoughts/ comments are as usual much appreciated - let me know if I simply have too high expectations.

Thanks
Daniel
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
AA136...wait, did the cowling repair not work??
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

What was the reason for the delay? If weather, then they have zero responsibility and usually don't give anything.

If it's maintenance, then they should pay for a reasonable hotel/meals/transportation. We had an issue last year where we had a connection in VPS on July 3rd (thanks to silly mileage tickets). Due to an MX issue, we didn't get to VPS until nearly midnight and obviously missed our connection. Agents in DFW and on the phone said they couldn't help and agents in VPS would give us hotel/meal vouchers. Upon arrival in VPS, the only folks were contracted baggage employees who couldn't do anything. No taxis available and the only hotel was a Hampton Inn, ~10 miles away, and was ~$350 before taxes (it was a holiday, last minute, etc). We got an SUV from Avis (the only thing available), booked the hotel and got fast food. In the morning, we had fast food again before our noon flight out of VPS. All-in, probably ~$550-600 out-of-pocket

I sent in all receipts and AA said that they would pay their contracted rate for hotels in VPS (~$80), ~$10 each for meals and nothing for the rental car/fuel as they don't cover them. After a few emails where I explained they should be glad we had all 3 of us stay in 1 room and not charge in 3 rooms, they offered 12,500 miles. No thanks. More emails. They offered $300 in vouchers. More back-and-forth emails. An agent finally called and apologized for all their laughable prior offers and offered $300 per person in vouchers. Since vouchers are as good as cash for me, $900 in vouchers was reasonable. But definitely shouldn't have taken that much effort to get.
Spiff and HMPS like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
AA136...wait, did the cowling repair not work??
She looked very nice when she was flying the AA136 +24hrs

Last edited by Duck1981; Jun 7, 2019 at 1:02 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
What was the reason for the delay? If weather, then they have zero responsibility and usually don't give anything.

If it's maintenance, then they should pay for a reasonable hotel/meals/transportation. We had an issue last year where we had a connection in VPS on July 3rd (thanks to silly mileage tickets). Due to an MX issue, we didn't get to VPS until nearly midnight and obviously missed our connection. Agents in DFW and on the phone said they couldn't help and agents in VPS would give us hotel/meal vouchers. Upon arrival in VPS, the only folks were contracted baggage employees who couldn't do anything. No taxis available and the only hotel was a Hampton Inn, ~10 miles away, and was ~$350 before taxes (it was a holiday, last minute, etc). We got an SUV from Avis (the only thing available), booked the hotel and got fast food. In the morning, we had fast food again before our noon flight out of VPS. All-in, probably ~$550-600 out-of-pocket

I sent in all receipts and AA said that they would pay their contracted rate for hotels in VPS (~$80), ~$10 each for meals and nothing for the rental car/fuel as they don't cover them. After a few emails where I explained they should be glad we had all 3 of us stay in 1 room and not charge in 3 rooms, they offered 12,500 miles. No thanks. More emails. They offered $300 in vouchers. More back-and-forth emails. An agent finally called and apologized for all their laughable prior offers and offered $300 per person in vouchers. Since vouchers are as good as cash for me, $900 in vouchers was reasonable. But definitely shouldn't have taken that much effort to get.
Thanks for your extensive reply - was MX issue
Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I had an in air mechnical a couple weeks ago LAX->NRT, plane had to turn around after 3 hours. After we got back to LAX, they gave us hotel and food vouchers (plane rescheduled to leave again 5:30AM next day, 17 hr delay).

And somehow the system didn't take away one of my SWUs for the flight. Not exactly sure how that happened (maybe the last minute upgrade was an op-up, not an SWU) but I'm not going to complain. LOL.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Dear Frequent Flyers

Was on AA136 on Tuesday which got delayed/ cancelled. Flagship Lounge rebooked me on AA108 next day (+22hrs) and 'I should book my hotel by myself and we'll refund'.

Contacted AA customer service via email and they came back today saying 'that they will refund hotel costs up to the contract rate'. No food costs will be reimbursed. It might be a very stupid question - but is this standard? No food vouchers or so were provided.

Fair to say that I went back into the lounge after the rebooking to get some food and especially more Champagne - I guess I had a bottle myself which could be considered a reimbursement itself - but I am still wondering: food costs are not refunded? I know e.g. BA/ LH refund if you have to stay overnight.

Any thoughts/ comments are as usual much appreciated - let me know if I simply have too high expectations.

Thanks
Daniel
At least AA offered you something. Im still fighting with them to even admit they owe my GF something after stranding her in Tokyo for 16hrs with nothing.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Dear Frequent Flyers

Thanks
Daniel
How did you purchase the ticket? Some credit cards offer free trip-delay coverage that would cover you for reasonable food/lodging/transportation expenses that the airline won't cover.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold
If it was mechanical, my understanding and experience is that you get meal vouchers ($12 pp as I remember). However, we have found that they are not always offered. You have to be somewhat insistent.
We had mechanical issues on a YVR-SEA flight last year on Alaska Air (booked via AA). It caused us to miss our SEA-ORD flight on AA. Alaska Air issued us a $200/pp voucher and an apology via text for our inconvenience before we were off the plane. Flight crew (including pilots) apologized to us all as we exited the jetway. Alaska Air gave us hotel voucher and meal vouchers.
The next day our new YVR-SEA non-stop flight on AA had mechanical issues and we were re-booked the following day. We had to go to a different desk and ask for a hotel voucher. Meal voucher was not offered and we had to ask for them. We were grudgingly given $12 voucher per person, even though it was 4 PM and we would not board the new flight for 20+ hours. Thankfully our CC has good coverage and we submitted the balance of our meal costs and were re-imbursed from the credit card coverage.
My experience is that AA does not always voluntarily offer what they need to provide--you sometimes have to push for it. This was not the first time that we had to ask and insist upon meal vouchers for a mechanical delay. While we were overall pleased with the automatic re-booking when we had mechanical issues, it was annoying that we had to be pushy to get the meal vouchers. Not that $12 is much help in an airport unless you eat fast food.
Tweets seem to work better than emails if you are dissatisfied.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:48 pm

Hi All

Thanks for all your replies.

AA’s final position seems to be that that will pay $153.70 for the Marriott LAX (out of my $194 cost) but won’t do anything re/ the food bill.

Well, better than nothing I guess (+ refund of my MCE seat and 10k miles).

Daniel
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Travel insurance ought to cover the unmet cost and food allowance. Many policies provide a flat amount based on length of delay and then deduct anything paid by the carrier. Either way, that is the place to turn for the balance and food.
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:36 am

Questions on AA hotel refund after flight cancellation/ re-routing

[Please note: I just had a look through the excellent IRROPS wiki which was helpful re/ rebooking, but still would like to get your thoughts on the refusal of paying a hotel as I have asked on AA.com for a cancellation confirmation ]

Hi All - was on cancelled AA136 last week (LAX-LHR). Myself on HBO fare; OWS Emerald. Flight got cancelled after 4,5 hours on the plane, Mx issue and then crew timed out.

Was back in the terminal by 0030am and at the Renaissance LAX by 1am. Auto re-routing for next day was via JFK (or about 20 other options via either DFW/ ORD) but given weather situation on the East Coast I was hoping for a direct flight to LHR. That option came up via the app around 11am.

On that I have actually 2 questions:

- plenty of people got their rebooking even when we were still in the plane. We were almost friends at that time (well after 4 hours) so I know they got directly rebooked on the next day (24 hours later) on the same flight. For me, no direct flight was available but a lots of options on the next morning (like depart 910am via JFK). I know many of the other pax did not have status at all. So - was this now kind offer of AA to put me on an AA flight in the early morning or did I not get a direct flight initially as I was on a HBO fare?

- Once back in the airport CSR told me I can book my hotel myself if I like to skip queue and they will refund me up to AA's contractual rate with the hotel. I have asked AA on AA.com to send me a cancellation confirmation which I will need for my trip insurance. Now I have asked AA to refund my hotel and they've said 'we have seen that you have asked us for a cancellation confirmation so we won't pay anything and all needs to be paid by your insurance'.

That doesn't sound right to me. Is that how it works in the US? Last time (well only 4 weeks ago) AA paid at least my hotel at LAX.

On a more positive note: Bought myself for my original re-routing via JFK (and then for a changed re-routing via DFW - before the direct flight came up) MCE seats; both seat reservations are refunded.

Last edited by Duck1981; Nov 17, 2019 at 8:57 am
Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
- plenty of people got their rebooking even when we were still in the plane. We were almost friends at that time (well after 4 hours) so I know they got directly rebooked on the next day (24 hours later) on the same flight. For me, no direct flight was available but a lots of options on the next morning (like depart 910am via JFK). I know many of the other pax did not have status at all. So - was this now kind offer of AA to put me on an AA flight in the early morning or did I not get a direct flight initially as I was on a HBO fare?
It sounds like you were relying solely on the AA app for rebooking options? Never do that! If a rebooking option you wanted wasn't available on the app, I would have called AA ASAP. I doubt it had anything to do with what fare you were on.

And once the flight was cancelled AA's computers will start rebooking people automatically, so it's entirely possible that space on the next day's nonstop LAX-LHR flights filled up by the time you tried to get rebooked back in the terminal.

- Once back in the airport CSR told me I can book my hotel myself if I like to skip queue and they will refund me up to AA's contractual rate with the hotel. I have asked AA on AA.com to send me a cancellation confirmation which I will need for my trip insurance. Now I have asked AA to refund my hotel and they've said 'we have seen that you have asked us for a cancellation confirmation so we won't pay anything and all needs to be paid by your insurance'.

That doesn't sound right to me. Is that how it works in the US? Last time (well only 4 weeks ago) AA paid at least my hotel at LAX.
AA will definitely pay for your hotel (up to a limit, as mentioned by the AA rep) however it makes sense that they are playing hardball since you already asked for a trip insurance confirmation. They assume your trip insurance is covering the hotel and won't let you double dip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.