Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hurnik
Contacting AA Customer Relations & Discussion
Contacting Customer Relations, complaints and related issues
N.B. AA and US combined Customer Relations as of 20 January 2015

=Q. What is the difference between AA Customer Relations and Customer Service?

Posted some time ago, still relevant: What is the best avenue to file such a complaint? Is it AAdvantage Customer Service, or AA Customer Relations? Each one seems to have its own email comments form on AA.com. When using these forms, are they usually pretty good about responding? If not, is there an email address I can directly email in a situation like this?

Reply by AmericanAirlines View Post:

Good question. American Airlines has 2 departments: one called Customer Relations and one called AAdvantage Customer Service.

AAdvantage Customer Service is for assisting AAdvantage members with account issues (address changes, mileage posting issues, etc…) American Airlines Customer Relations is for addressing customers past travel experiences (delays, employee issues, etc…)

Stephen @ AA

At one time, AA maintained an occasional and official "helpful lurker" presence, comprised of more than one person, with the FlyerTalk handle AmericanAirlines; AA has chosen not to maintain such a presence on FlyerTalk.
Customer Relations

Our Customer Relations department is dedicated to addressing customer comments and unresolved concerns. The Customer Relations department will respond to our customer’s written complaints within 60 days. Customer Relations can be reached at:

U.S. Mail/Overnight Mail American Airlines Customer Relations
4000 E. Sky Harbor Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Fax: 480-693-2300

Email AA Customer Relations Opens in a new window (link)
Wrong thread? Need AAdvantage Customer Service? Contacting AAdvantage Customer Service master thread (link)

NOTE: AA and US consolidated their main Customer Relations contact process January 2015. Whereas previously US CP and AA EP / EXP could contact Customer Relations by telephone, that is no longer possible.

To register complaints, one must use the e-form linked to here: Email AA Customer Relations (pops up AA e-form); there is no publicly published telephone number to call for AA Customer Relations. NOTE: form limited to 1,500 characters. Invalid character or empty required information field causes form refusal.

You may specify you want a reply within this form; if you do not do so, it is quite possible you won't receive an acknowledgement of your communication. The initial reply may be a mere acknowledgement; if there is a case number, record it and use it in future communication

Also note replies from AA Customer Relations can not be autoreplied to. (Clarification here):
It appears that AA is using bot-generated replies to your complaint form. You CAN reply to that email if you want to get your complaint routed to a real person. Otherwise, the bot-generated email will simply issue an apology, and nothing more (no compensation). Once you reply to that auto-generated email, you should get a team member response in a few days.

It has been suggested separate issues be addressed by sending separate customer contact forms. Unfortunately, employees can easily conflate separate issues or stop reading after the first one.

One can include a telephone number and ask AACR call back. They will likely do so, but it will require you to monitor your phone until they call.

Compliment, Complaint, or Comment

Contact Information (including)

• Past Flight Experience
• Praise/Compliments
• Concerns/Complaints
• Suggestions/Communication

"We want to be sure we hear from you. Please verify that you are on the correct country version of aa.com, by checking the country flag displayed at the top of the page. Then submit your comments or inquiries using the link below: "

Email AA Customer Relations (pops up AA e-form)

See this page

(Limited to 1,500 character.)

Other Contact Information

Mail/Overnight mail
American Airlines Customer Relations
4000 E. Sky Harbor Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Previously: Phone: 817-786-3778 and Fax: 480-693-2300

Need help with something else?
  • Upcoming or current travel
  • Special needs / Disability assistance
  • Frequent flyer program
  • Delayed baggage
  • Refunds
  • Help booking online
  • American Airlines Vacations
Use links from this page
Who's the boss?Executive Contacts (Christopher Elliott - link)Primary Contact
Vincent Carcaterra
Director of Customer Relations
1 Skyview Drive
Fort Worth , Texas 76155
[email protected]

Secondary Contact
Kurt Stache
Senior Vice President – Customer Experience
1 Skyview Drive
Fort Worth, Texas 76155 76155
[email protected]
Note: calling or emailing is not necessarily effective nor recommended.
"Snail mail" or written material by courier may be more effective.

Suggestions from members For effective communications:
  • If you have a case number, include it prominently
  • Include your name and contact information
  • Be sure to include key dates, times, ticket numbers
  • Keep it factual, brief, and strive for clarity
  • If you expect reimbursement, keep it within scale and do specify
  • Be specific - and realistic - about what you want / your expected outcome.
  • Keep feelings, hyperbole out of your story.
  • AA never accepts consequential damages (missed important events, etc.)
See USDOT below)
Twitter

If you have a Twitter account, you may get rapid assistance or resolution by tweeting @AmericanAir. See post #45 by JonNYC and this FT thread: Using AA Twitter social media team: how, what, when (master thd). From there:

Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ

Q. How do I use this channel of communication?

You must first sign up for a (free) Twitter account. When you do, Subscribe to the AA Twitter channel: @AmericanAir.

Note: Getting assistance from Twitter for a specific reservation can be improved by communicating with them by using the DM / Direct Message (like PM here) system, where you can include your PNR and details privately - and your AAdvantage number and EP status so they can link it with your Twitter profile. This is easily done by sending them a tweet asking them "Please follow me for DM" so they can "follow" you and receive DMs from you.

Once this has been done, you may wish to take your account Private.

Q. How can they help?

@AmericanAir can assist with OSO (Off-Schedule Operations - "IRROPS") when it might otherwise take a long time to get a response from the telephone desk employees. There are many things that @AmericanAir can do when time is of the essence; read posts below for more.

Q. Can I report service issues?

Certainly.

Q. Can I laud or compliment excellent service?

Certainly. The Twitter team will log these and for AA employees (including employees of wholly owned subsidiaries, but not contractor employees) and pass on compliments to supervisors, who will add them to the employee's personnel record.
For further information on how Twitter works, read here.
US Department of Transportation - File a Consumer Complaint

Airline Service Complaints and Comments

Complaints and comments about airline service other than safety or security issues may be registered with DOT's Aviation Consumer Protection Division (ACPD). You can call, write or use our web form.

You may call the ACPD 24 hours a day at 202-366-2220 (TTY 202-366-0511) to record your complaint. Calls are returned Monday through Friday, generally between 7:30 am and 5:00 pm Eastern time.

You may send us a letter at: Aviation Consumer Protection Division, C-75
U.S. Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Ave, S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20590

You can send us a complaint, comment or inquiry electronically by using our web form. This form allows us to capture information more accurately and process it more efficiently. The web form allows you to attach a file.
Whether you call, write or use the web form, please be brief and concise in the description of your problem and be sure to include the following information:
  • Your name
  • Complete address
  • Daytime phone number (including area code)
  • e-mail address
  • Name of the airline or company about which you are complaining
  • Flight date
  • Flight number if known
  • Origin and destination cities of your trip.
If you send us a letter, you should also include a copy (not the original) of your airline ticket or itinerary sheet and any correspondence you have already exchanged with the company.

- See more at: https://www.transportation.gov/airco....Iar1Z6Ve.dpuf
Note: Earlier this year, others were still receiving email with:

Customer Relations
American Airlines
4255 Amon Carter Blvd., MD 2400
Fort Worth, TX 76155
Fax: 817-967-4162
AND they've emailed about using [email protected] for EC261/2004 issues.
Print Wikipost

Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

If you can not see the wikipost:
  • Wikiposts currently can not be seen with the mobile skin

• You can go to the "wikipost" blue menu bar at the top of a thread page and click on the "-" sign at the right end of the bar, which minimizes all wikis. You can turn wiki posts "on" by clicking the "+" in the same menu bar when you wish.)

• You may have Wikiposts turned off in your settings

If so, in "My FlyerTalk - Your Control Panel - Edit Options - Miscellaneous options" see

Wikipost Hide All

Hide all Wiki Posts in Threads
[] Hide all wikiposts

and reset as needed.
/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 4, 2016 at 11:15 am Reason: Update
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hilton Life Diamond, Hertz Presidents, former US former Charimans
Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Issues (master thread)

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to email the new customer relations? I emailed [email protected], and got a reply telling me that email is closed, and we must now use the web comment form on aa.com. That would be fine, except the web comment form only allows 1500 characters - which isn't nearly enough to explain the situation and ask for assistance.

Does anyone know how to actually email US/AA customer relations? Or perhaps how to send them a fax or postal mail, if it comes down to that?

Thanks!

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 18, 2015 at 4:39 pm Reason: Restore original postvtitle
Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Unhappy Bad, no good service

In my experience, even 1,500 characters is too long for the "new" American to handle. I recently wrote them about an LAX-CLT flight which inexplicably served neither beverages nor food in F. I would've been irritated if I'd simply been upgraded, but this was an award flight for which I'd used miles specifically to be in F. Also, the FAs made so much noise cackling and telling jokes in the galley that we couldn't sleep. AA replied to this with an apology for the FA behavior and had no response about my main concerns. They send from an email address which does not accept replies, so you have to go fill out a form all over again. I did, and they said that since I'd already traveled, they were unable to credit me the difference between the mileage redemption in F and Y (which was my request since I effectively had a coach experience in F). So, next time I'll be sure to use psychic abilities to determine how the service will be in advance so I can request a credit before travel begins. Groan.

Your profile indicates you are Platinum. If so, you may wish to email [email protected] with concerns. However, I believe these inquiries are still answered by the team in Winston-Salem, and there seem to be many folks there who...aren't exactly as friendly or generous as regular customer relations.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA.com
Compliment/Complaint/Comment

Contact Information (including)

• Past Flight Experience
• Praise/Compliments
• Concerns/Complaints
• Suggestions/Comm

"We want to be sure we hear from you. Please verify that you are on the correct country version of aa.com, by checking the country flag displayed at the top of the page. Then submit your comments or inquiries using the link below: "

Email AA Customer Relations (pops up AA e-form)

See this page

(Limited to 1,500 character.)

Other Contact Information

Mail/Overnight mail
American Airlines Customer Relations
4000 E. Sky Harbor Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85034

Phone: 817-786-3778
Fax: 480-693-2300

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 18, 2015 at 9:28 pm
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hilton Life Diamond, Hertz Presidents, former US former Charimans
Thanks for the info. I have sent them a fax.

However, this stinks. No way to actually send them an email? What if you need to send an attachment or something, eg, photo of a ticket stub? Or what if your issue is just longer than 1500 letters? This post is 320 letters long, so that only gets you 4.6 times this post.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Are you serious about being unable to respond to their email? That makes no sense. I had no problem at all responding to both an AA and US CS email (separate, pre-merger issues).

Originally Posted by Carl
In my experience, even 1,500 characters is too long for the "new" American to handle. I recently wrote them about an LAX-CLT flight which inexplicably served neither beverages nor food in F. I would've been irritated if I'd simply been upgraded, but this was an award flight for which I'd used miles specifically to be in F. Also, the FAs made so much noise cackling and telling jokes in the galley that we couldn't sleep. AA replied to this with an apology for the FA behavior and had no response about my main concerns. They send from an email address which does not accept replies, so you have to go fill out a form all over again. I did, and they said that since I'd already traveled, they were unable to credit me the difference between the mileage redemption in F and Y (which was my request since I effectively had a coach experience in F). So, next time I'll be sure to use psychic abilities to determine how the service will be in advance so I can request a credit before travel begins. Groan.

Your profile indicates you are Platinum. If so, you may wish to email [email protected] with concerns. However, I believe these inquiries are still answered by the team in Winston-Salem, and there seem to be many folks there who...aren't exactly as friendly or generous as regular customer relations.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brillb
Thanks for the info. I have sent them a fax.

However, this stinks. No way to actually send them an email? What if you need to send an attachment or something, eg, photo of a ticket stub? Or what if your issue is just longer than 1500 letters? This post is 320 letters long, so that only gets you 4.6 times this post.
I hear you, but given limited times they may have to read and sort things out anyway, brevity seems to be the soul of advocacy, to steal a bit of the Bard. Too many complaints we've seen here get mired in feelings and fog to be effective.

If they need my documentation, they've let me know how and where to provide it (e.g. missing flight credit).
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Are you serious about being unable to respond to their email? That makes no sense. I had no problem at all responding to both an AA and US CS email (separate, pre-merger issues).
If you reply, you receive a response notifying you that the email address is unmonitored; it directs you to the general contact page. I sent a screenshot of this nonsense to them on Twitter, and they confirmed I would have to start all over (and of course they can't help since somehow social is separate from customer service).
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

If you reply, you receive a response notifying you that the email address is unmonitored; it directs you to the general contact page. I sent a screenshot of this nonsense to them on Twitter, and they confirmed I would have to start all over (and of course they can't help since somehow social is separate from customer service).
Well, we know they don't want to make it easy for us...
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Well, we know they don't want to make it easy for us...
It's unfortunate, as it seems AA is generally much more professional than US. Then again, there are those who argue that AA is gone and the new company is just a larger LCC, and this model of limited support would fit into that.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
The work around is to submit another complaint via the web e-form and include the previous case number and copy of the email response you received. It's worked for me the couple of times I tried it.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
The work around is to submit another complaint via the web e-form and include the previous case number and copy of the email response you received. It's worked for me the couple of times I tried it.
That makes sense. Just a royal pain to fill out that whole form again with ticket number, record locator, flight info, on and on...
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
To get AA to understand your message, I suspect you should keep to well less than 1500 characters. And, put your main complaint up front. Maybe something like: "I was on AA/US XXX on Jan XX, 2015 (itinerary ABCDEF) when ...." Being verbose means AA won't understand.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
One thing to keep in mind is that pmAA had the 1500 character limitation. That part isn't new to post-merger AA. I remember clearly seeing that about 5 years ago, and calling instead (when I still was able to contact Corporate and ask to be transferred to Corporate Customer Relations).

As for the replying nonsense, that's just stupid. Seriously. I hope AA reconsiders that. pmUS didn't have that issue; just last fall, I was able to respond to an email they sent me and follow-up from there.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
This changed last fall. I too used to be able to reply to the CS rep by simply hitting 'reply' but that seems to have ended as of late summer/fall 2014. Now they prefer to just send out an automated 5 line email 15 minutes after you submit your feedback and just assume that is sufficient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.