Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Enhancements in Main Cabin Extra Seating (now Q2 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhancements in Main Cabin Extra Seating (now Q2 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I find it hard to believe that MCE would become at separate cabin in AA, since they are eliminating MCE except exit rows. If they made it 2-3 instead of 3-3, then yes. MCE is not PE - PE is a different seat and makes sense to sell it as a different class. AA is increasing the seat count of both the US and AA version of 321 - so does that mean current Y becomes MCE as seats in the back are squeeze together.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
Going a bit off topic here but I agree.
About a year ago, I was in F on a transcon, and a young lady gets in, puts her bag in one of the first overhead. So I thought she was in F. But then she proceeded to walk all the way back to Y. After boarding was complete, there were only 3 pax in F. I mischievously suggested to the FA that I should move the bag to the rear F overhead and when the lady would look for her bag, she could inform her that it was moved. The FA agreed with the plan and I went ahead with it. 😈
A more dubious mind would have requested it be gate checked
DeltaFlyingProf and Austin787 like this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by ryan182
That was their number one priority!?! Not providing a higher value service to customers that paid a premium or who earned MCE due to loyalty or even finding ways to increase ancillary revenue through increased MCE sales...nope priority #1 was to make sure that any changes didn't add any additional work for the FAs. :facepalm:
Using that same logic, they should eliminate credit card pitches, because they create additional work for the FAs.

And let's not stop at the FAs. They should also eliminate basic economy fares because they create additional work for the gate agents.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Austin787
Using that same logic, they should eliminate credit card pitches, because they create additional work for the FAs.

And let's not stop at the FAs. They should also eliminate basic economy fares because they create additional work for the gate agents.
They should also eliminate basic economy fares because all it does is push passengers to the actual LCCs according to this article
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by cova
they are eliminating MCE except exit rows.
So only exit rows will be Main Cabin Extra?
Says who?
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Gig103
They should also eliminate basic economy fares because all it does is push passengers to the actual LCCs according to this article
To be clear, it was the UA IMPLEMENTATION of BE fares that backfired, not the concept. Considering their track record, this is not a surprise.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
MCE Overhead Bin Placards

It's almost that time (Feb 1), when the new placards are supposedly introduced to MCE, including those for the overhead bins. Will be interesting to hear from folks how it actually works out.

If the bins are open, I wonder where is the placard going to be placed so that it's clearly visible for all the pax to read?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:48 pm

I'd rather they be eliminated because they are annoying, but any port in a storm.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:37 pm

Don't FAs get commissions for signing people up? They are certainly more enthusiastic that you'd expect for something they are required to do.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
Will FA's start implementing only those flying in first using those bins? And prohibit those in first from using the reserved MCE bins?
Twice in the last week, while flying seat 1A I had to go to economy to find bin space. I did board each flight somewhere between groups 1-3, so not late. Very annoying when you cannot put anything under your seat and have to travel 6 rows back to place your belongings.
The free alcohol in MCE is an intriguing new twist.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Don't FAs get commissions for signing people up? They are certainly more enthusiastic that you'd expect for something they are required to do.
They could also easily give commissions for selling MCE seats onboard. They have tablets and accept CC to buy food/drinks, so this shouldn't be that difficult...
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
I would only go for this if I spot a window or aisle seat open. But again, I would need to take my bag and relocate it to one of the MCE bins. Given that economy pax usually poach the overhead space upfront, that can be a difficult task since I don't think there is a mandate that FAs will protect the MCE bins even though they will now be labeled as such. Moving into MCE would be an inconvenience if my bag is still a few rows back since that makes deboarding tricky.

Definitely going to be worth keeping an eye on the seat map and upgrades during boarding to see what's open to prepare myself.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
There is a new article:

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/01/aa-cracking-down-on-self-upgrades/?utm_source=FACEBOOK&utm_medium=social&utm_term=Ed itorial&utm_campaign=FACEBOOK-100000138464120

From the article: "A TPG reader who is also a member of AA’s cabin crew out of Phoenix (PHX) reports that crews are now “being informed that self upgrades will not be allowed onboard. Purchase must be made at the gate or during booking.”
Originally Posted by Explorer789
I would only go for this if I spot a window or aisle seat open. But again, I would need to take my bag and relocate it to one of the MCE bins. Given that economy pax usually poach the overhead space upfront, that can be a difficult task since I don't think there is a mandate that FAs will protect the MCE bins even though they will now be labeled as such. Moving into MCE would be an inconvenience if my bag is still a few rows back since that makes deboarding tricky.

Definitely going to be worth keeping an eye on the seat map and upgrades during boarding to see what's open to prepare myself.

See the post quoted above yours. Specifically this part: ...crews are now “being informed that self upgrades will not be allowed onboard. Purchase must be made at the gate or during booking.

So there is nothing to keep an eye on, other than purchasing an upgrade to MCE if you do not already have one.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
That self-upgrade didn't last long, lol. Although I assume almost everybody on this thread has access to free MCE before departure, so a moot point for elites.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
See the post quoted above yours. Specifically this part: ...crews are now “being informed that self upgrades will not be allowed onboard. Purchase must be made at the gate or during booking.

So there is nothing to keep an eye on, other than purchasing an upgrade to MCE if you do not already have one.
Without enforcement, it means nothing. They diidn't change their stance on not asking attendents to enforce it. I'm sure some will and some wont.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.