Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Enhancements in Main Cabin Extra Seating (now Q2 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhancements in Main Cabin Extra Seating (now Q2 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:33 am

I guess the answer to that is wait and see. No way to know until it goes into effect.

My perception of the big picture is that they are monetizing it further, so when money is at stake their enforcement may be a bit more strict than not. Of course it could go the other way as well, or even half and half for that matter.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jacobguo
Not good news.

Bigger incentive for non-elites to pay for MCE, meaning less MCE seats for elites.
I don't necessarily agree. Unless one of three things happens: 1.) MCE pricing gets cut in half, 2.) MCE comes with a free checked bag, 3.) MCE is an option for basic economy. The majority of AA's costumers (by number not revenue) are non-elite non credit card carriers, meaning they have to A. consider fees like checked bags, and B. If they are opposed to the limits of basic economy have to also stomach a $20-$100+ "upgrade to regular economy, plus another fee to MCE and possible checked bag fess. I just don't see this group springing for another fee even if free booze is involved. One group I could see buying MCE more often is non-elite business travelers who feel the guaranteed overhead bin space is a just expense. Just a thought, but time will tell!
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Austin787
Using that same logic, they should eliminate credit card pitches, because they create additional work for the FAs.

And let's not stop at the FAs. They should also eliminate basic economy fares because they create additional work for the gate agents.
I have a LOT of questions about the CC pitches.. I have to believe that the FA's get some sort of bonus for completed apps, because they sound really sincere when making the announcements. Or at the very least something for simply making the announcement.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by AAdamE
I have a LOT of questions about the CC pitches.. I have to believe that the FA's get some sort of bonus for completed apps, because they sound really sincere when making the announcements. Or at the very least something for simply making the announcement.
On the credit card forum, people have mentioned that the FA's get $50 per card issued with their identifier on the application... Pretty good incentive to push those applications hard (on one flight the FA even announced that the bonus points were transferable to your spouse or children)...
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Any MCE Bin Placard Sightings Yet?

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
It's almost that time (Feb 1), when the new placards are supposedly introduced to MCE, including those for the overhead bins. Will be interesting to hear from folks how it actually works out.

If the bins are open, I wonder where is the placard going to be placed so that it's clearly visible for all the pax to read?
Just curious...
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
No placards or free drinks on my flight today.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FlyinMike
No placards or free drinks on my flight today.
On 2453 this morning (LAX-DFW) in MCE. Asked about the free drink and dedicated overhead bin and was told "free drinks apply to executive plats only." Dont think the memo got to the FAs on this flight yet. I will try tomorrow on another flight.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jbdk
On 2453 this morning (LAX-DFW) in MCE. Asked about the free drink and dedicated overhead bin and was told "free drinks apply to executive plats only." Dont think the memo got to the FAs on this flight yet. I will try tomorrow on another flight.
I was under the impression that they would start with the dedicated MCE bins first, with free non-EXP drink(s) and snack not being available until sometime in the spring of 2018...
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
As a liquor enthusiast, I hope that AA will upcater flights when this starts. They are already running out of certain types of booze on some flights and this will only make it worse.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by jbdk
Since the updates were made public, I've ordered adult drinks and not been charged on two recent flights (DFWLAX and LAXJFK), but charged on most recent JFKLAX. I did not ask about the fee, just ordered and waited to see if they asked for a card. On LAXJFK, I was served an unsolicited double. On JFKLAX I heard row in front of me getting charged, so I did ask the FA "do you need a card" before being asked. DFWLAX was on the 789 in the PE seats (which were interestingly catered with international blankets, pillows and amenity kits...I assumed in error).
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:52 pm

The main cabin extra enhancements are not live yet, so no you don't get a free drink for sitting in MCE yet. If FAs are choosing not to charge, that's their choice. Officially, a roll out date for the changes has not been announced.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
I had two FAs on two different flights tell me 2/1 was the start of free drinks in MCE.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by kar don
I had two FAs on two different flights tell me 2/1 was the start of free drinks in MCE.
Apparently that news had not made it out West to SJC by Fri 2/2 I've been about 50/50 for free drinks on this route in the past, so not doing too bad before it officially becomes free.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyinMike
Apparently that news had not made it out West to SJC by Fri 2/2 I've been about 50/50 for free drinks on this route in the past, so not doing too bad before it officially becomes free.
On the SJC to PHX "Nerd Bird"?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by kar don
On the SJC to PHX "Nerd Bird"?
Yep - almost always on the 7:00pm Thu or the 4:00 PM Fri.

Home this week and next, so not earning points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.