Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Enhancements in Main Cabin Extra Seating (now Q2 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhancements in Main Cabin Extra Seating (now Q2 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:48 pm

Great news. As a LT platinum I can still book mce for free but don;t get free drinks etc.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
I don't know how to answer redtop43's question. But I think redtop43 is familiar with this layout and is asking about 23F, which has infinite legroom and is normally MCE (unlike 23DE), but this time was sold as preferred.
I have always wondered why this is considered an exit row. 23DE do not appear to have extra legroom and is not a path people exiting would take. 23F is right behind the door so "may be asked to assist" I could understand, but really row 22 is the exit row. I am wondering if this designation may change in the future.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jmj9905
Great news. As a LT platinum I can still book mce for free but don;t get free drinks etc.
But, Free Drinks are coming to MCE.........
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by mvoight
Yea, but I bet then PPRO and below will have to wait until their window to be upgraded into MCE like on Delta.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Yea, but I bet then PPRO and below will have to wait until their window to be upgraded into MCE like on Delta.
Delta has MCE, or is it more of Y+...
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:33 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
DL's extra legroom coach seats are marketed as Comfort +. They are considered a different class of service with extra legroom, dedicated overhead bins, free drinks and some extra snack choices. Exit rows are not considered part of this service class, though they do sometimes have better legroom. Elites, even their lowest level (Silver) can book exit row at time of purchase instead of waiting until T-24. Upgrades (Comfort and First) are complimentary for all elite levels (i.e. not 500 mile chits required) and you can choose to be moved up to Comfort + or First. Often I choose both and initialy get upgraded to Comfort at T-24 and then at the gate have sometimes been moved up again to First.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I have always wondered why this is considered an exit row. 23DE do not appear to have extra legroom and is not a path people exiting would take. 23F is right behind the door so "may be asked to assist" I could understand, but really row 22 is the exit row. I am wondering if this designation may change in the future.
I looked at another trip I'm taking and 23F was taken, but 23A was marked "preferred" so I moved to it. 23A is similar to 23F except that the jumpseat and lavatory are in front, so you don't have underseat storage. You still have plenty of legroom.

I'm happy with the change. I usually book well in advance and I'm only gold now, so I would have to pay if they were MCE but not if they're preferred. So this way I can get them at purchase (since they're usually still available) for free. But I still find it puzzling.

As for the designation, I guess that since 23A and 23F are exit seats, they consider the whole row an exit row.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Jonesdds
I'm not sure why they just don't call the first few rows MCE even if no additional legroom. Would make sense to me....
Would it?

Charging people $50 extra for an extra legroom seat and then giving them a regular seat with no extra legroom seems like a bad idea. (Bait and switch)

Originally Posted by mvoight
Thats what he's saying...
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
AA 2346 on 3/15 had the stickers in the bins which seem honestly pretty useless. Its like a thin one inch strip that says MCE bags only, and is not visible if a few bags are already in there or you are shorter, unlike other carriers that make the whole inside a different color so you know not to put your bag there.

Question how do you know if you have an LAA or LUS crew? I ordered a drink and they were super quick to charge my card and then not give me the rum for the coke? Since they already proceeded a few seats behind me I had to get up out of my seat said can give me the rum you just charged me for? And they were like... HERE - no apology... I guess I'm just supposed to pay for things and not receive them, my mistake. Also the crew was just really bad all across the board, curious to see if it was LAA or LUS.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Oddly, I just received the following email from American:
====Important informationYou purchased a Main Cabin Extra seat for an upcoming flight that has been rebranded to a Preferred seat.

While there are no changes to your seat location or the extra legroom you’re expecting, you will not receive Main Cabin Extra benefits like Group 5 boarding and easier access to overhead bins.

You’ll receive an email soon with the details of your refund. No further action is necessary.

To choose another Main Cabin Extra seat, go to aa.com or use the American Airlines app.
====
So, a few things don't make sense:
1. I'm Platinum, so I don't purchase MCE, it's free to me.
2. I went through my pending reservations and I don't see any equipment swaps, so not likely that was the reason
3. Where I'm in a Preferred seat versus an MCE seat, that was always the seat status. I don't believe anything changed where it was rebranded.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Oddly, I just received the following email from American:
====Important informationYou purchased a Main Cabin Extra seat for an upcoming flight that has been rebranded to a Preferred seat.

While there are no changes to your seat location or the extra legroom you’re expecting, you will not receive Main Cabin Extra benefits like Group 5 boarding and easier access to overhead bins.

You’ll receive an email soon with the details of your refund. No further action is necessary.

To choose another Main Cabin Extra seat, go to aa.com or use the American Airlines app.
====
So, a few things don't make sense:
1. I'm Platinum, so I don't purchase MCE, it's free to me.
2. I went through my pending reservations and I don't see any equipment swaps, so not likely that was the reason
3. Where I'm in a Preferred seat versus an MCE seat, that was always the seat status. I don't believe anything changed where it was rebranded.
I'm EXP and got the same thing. Technically you paid $0 and will be refunded $0. It makes sense to me since I am on an LUS A321 in 10F, which changed to preferred (along with 23AF).

It​​ fits redtop43's observations. I'm realizing that this is deliberate, not a glitch, and essentially AA is discounting those seats to preferred to avoid the awkwardness of having the soft product differ between adjacent seats (same row on same side of the aisle). Either all of ABC that exist are MCE or none of them are, and likewise for DEF. No complaints "Why does the person I'm rubbing elbows with get a free drink with no status, and I don't?"

AA is creating a soft sub-cabin like AS Premium, VX MCS, or DL C+, and traditionally the smallest unit for this is the (half-)row. On other airlines there are sometimes entire exit rows not included.

The oddball preferred seating seems like an improvement for GLD/OWR (now free) if all they care about is legroom. For PLT/PPR/OWS it will mean no drink, unlike true MCE. For EXP/OWE it'll still be practically as good as MCE except for the (non-enforced) overhead bin allocation.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
I'm EXP and got the same thing. Technically you paid $0 and will be refunded $0. It makes sense to me since I am on an LUS A321 in 10F, which changed to preferred (along with 23AF).

It​​ fits redtop43's observations. I'm realizing that this is deliberate, not a glitch, and essentially AA is discounting those seats to preferred to avoid the awkwardness of having the soft product differ between adjacent seats (same row on same side of the aisle). Either all of ABC that exist are MCE or none of them are, and likewise for DEF. No complaints "Why does the person I'm rubbing elbows with get a free drink with no status, and I don't?"

AA is creating a soft sub-cabin like AS Premium, VX MCS, or DL C+, and traditionally the smallest unit for this is the (half-)row. On other airlines there are sometimes entire exit rows not included.

The oddball preferred seating seems like an improvement for GLD/OWR (now free) if all they care about is legroom. For PLT/PPR/OWS it will mean no drink, unlike true MCE. For EXP/OWE it'll still be practically as good as MCE except for the (non-enforced) overhead bin allocation.
Ah - that makes sense. I hovered over some of my seats because I thought they might be "preferred," but it seems that bulkhead/exit row seats outside of the main MCE "cabin" are still MCE. I was thinking that those might have gone "preferred."
Good on AA for setting expectations, but a bit lost on me as I don't typically drink alcohol on the plane - so, that little "enhancement" is meaningless to me. I'd be open to an extra Biscoff, though...
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by dmodemd
IIRC, it has to do with the number of pax that are "willing and able to assist" in case of emergency. Two people per row aren't enough.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
IIRC, it has to do with the number of pax that are "willing and able to assist" in case of emergency. Two people per row aren't enough.
Isn’t it a system limitation that prevents marking only part of a row as exit? I recall a JonNYC factoid on that.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:37 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Originally Posted by ElCaminoReal
Isn’t it a system limitation that prevents marking only part of a row as exit? I recall a JonNYC factoid on that.
There is an FAA definition of exit seat. Here is the link to 14 CFR 121.585 - Exit Seating: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.585

The relevant text:

§ 121.585 Exit seating.(a)

(1) Each certificate holder shall determine, to the extent necessary to perform the applicable functions of paragraph (d) of this section, the suitability of each person it permits to occupy an exit seat, in accordance with this section. For the purpose of this section -
(i)Exit seat means -

(A) Each seat having direct access to an exit; and,

(B) Each seat in a row of seats through which passengers would have to pass to gain access to an exit, from the first seat inboard of the exit to the first aisle inboard of the exit.

(ii) A passenger seat having “direct access” means a seat from which a passenger can proceed directly to the exit without entering an aisle or passing around an obstruction.

(2) Each certificate holder shall make the passenger exit seating determinations required by this paragraph in a non-discriminatory manner consistent with the requirements of this section, by persons designated in the certificate holder's required operations manual.

(3) Each certificate holder shall designate the exit seats for each passenger seating configuration in its fleet in accordance with the definitions in this paragraph and submit those designations for approval as part of the procedures required to be submitted for approval under paragraphs (n) and (p) of this section.

1.i.B.ii makes all of the seats in the row exit seats since the occupant can proceed directly to the exit without entering an aisle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.