Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: All About AA Flagship Check-In at JFK, LAX, MIA, ORD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: All About AA Flagship Check-In at JFK, LAX, MIA, ORD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
The Flagship Lounge at DFW (in Terminal A, you can still see it when you enter the DFW - A Admirals Club - FL to right, Arrivals Lounge to left) was closed some years ago; when Terminal D became the new international terminal AA chose to have a slightly improved Club and not have a FL. (BA uses the sublounges in the The Club at DFW (D21) - they have both a Business and First lounge within.) The demographics just do not call for an AA Arrivals or Flagship Lounge at a captive hub like this; they do call for a Flagship Check-in for those who meet the requirements who are checking in here for AA.
Why will there me demo right for checkin and not for lounge? They can creat a special lounge that meets the same access as the checkin?
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by correctioncx
Why will there me demo right for checkin and not for lounge? They can creat a special lounge that meets the same access as the checkin?
I don't fully understand the questions...
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ESpen36
(Speaking of which.....I'm not sure if most of us remember those non-AA OW lounges are there! I fly international long-haul out of DFW plenty, but I haven't bothered going to the BA or QF-operated lounges in many years when flying on eligible routings....do any of you, fellow EXPs, bother? I seem to recall those lounges are small, no wifi, and drinks, though free, must be requested and brought out to you by a server? Are there dragons who give you a hard time these days?)
I was in the BA lounge a while ago. IMHO it is much better than the Admiral's Club. It's fairly small, but the beer, wine, and liqueur was self-serve. There were chips sitting out, but for sandwiches, you had to ask an attendant. I think they even had a small F-Lounge section, but I didn't go in there.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:33 am

Why will there me demo right for checkin and not for lounge? They can create a special lounge that meets the same access as the checkin?
Flagship checkin is cheap. All they need to do is throw some dividers up around a checkin counter and add some fake trees. The flagship lounge is much much more expensive to maintain.

It would be nice to have a better lounge with a more restrictive access policy, but that would require AA to either build a new lounge, or remodel one of the existing lounges. It would cost a ton of $$, and as others have mentioned it would just be full of EXPs traveling on cheap Y tickets.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
Originally Posted by norf9
I was in the BA lounge a while ago. IMHO it is much better than the Admiral's Club. It's fairly small, but the beer, wine, and liqueur was self-serve. There were chips sitting out, but for sandwiches, you had to ask an attendant. I think they even had a small F-Lounge section, but I didn't go in there.
The F section is tiny... like it literally has 15 chairs to seat the 14 F passengers. It could never accommodate OW Emeralds or even just BA Golds.

They periodically circulate with small appetizers and champagne, otherwise no meaningful difference from the J side (which is also pretty small and would be pretty darn full with 70 J passengers before allowing any Sapphires in).
Old Apr 23, 2013, 8:32 am
Suspended

Flagship checkin is cheap. All they need to do is throw some dividers up around a checkin counter and add some fake trees. The flagship lounge is much much more expensive to maintain.

It would be nice to have a better lounge with a more restrictive access policy, but that would require AA to either build a new lounge, or remodel one of the existing lounges. It would cost a ton of $$, and as others have mentioned it would just be full of EXPs traveling on cheap Y tickets.
Just reinstate the old Flagship loud, spend some money on catering and will be easy.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 8:46 am

Just reinstate the old Flagship loud, spend some money on catering and will be easy.
And where do you propose they get the money for that from? If you look at the thread posted earlier about the FL closure, you will see that there is little business justification for having a FL in DFW.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by envgeo
off topic, however, I love DFW. I valet my car, walk 20 feet and through pre check and generally have less than 1000 feet to reach my plane. I bet I average 5 minutes from the time I hand the keys to the valet to the time I am through pre-check security. Where else is it that good?
I have it even better... my wife drops me off at the pre-check, am usually to the gate many times in less than 2 minutes... she then picks me up at the end of the trip at the closest door to the gate.

The benefits of living 10 minutes north of the airport and my company reimbursing mileage expense for the dropoff/pickup.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 9:27 am
Suspended

And where do you propose they get the money for that from? If you look at the thread posted earlier about the FL closure, you will see that there is little business justification for having a FL in DFW.
And where do they get the money for the flagship checkin?
It is a bit embarrassing when u don't have a flagship lounge in ur own hub
Old Apr 23, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
And where do they get the money for the flagship checkin?
It is a bit embarrassing when u don't have a flagship lounge in ur own hub
As was mentioned upthread, flagship check-in facilities do not have much incremental operating cost, while a flagship lounge has substantial ongoing running costs that do not exist if the lounge doesn't exist. In a captive market like DFW, AA do not need to differentiate themselves against the competition so much, so why saddle themselves with a huge added cost. I have to imagine that the ongoing delay with the MIA FL is at least in part related to this as well (with DFW and MIA being the two cornerstone markets where AA dominates the local market). Compare that to LAX, ORD and JFK, where AA are in highly competitive markets.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 9:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Microwave
As was mentioned upthread, flagship check-in facilities do not have much incremental operating cost, while a flagship lounge has substantially increased running costs. In a captive market like DFW, AA do not need to differentiate themselves against the competition so much, so why saddle themselves with a huge added cost. I have to imagine that the ongoing delay with the MIA FL is at least in part related to this as well (with DFW and MIA being the two cornerstone markets where AA dominates the local market).
I thought there is a MIA FL. I think last time I went was 2009, it was a small one up some stairs near security
Old Apr 23, 2013, 9:55 am

I thought there is a MIA FL. I think last time I went was 2009, it was a small one up some stairs near security
That one is closed, but there is a OneWorld Premium lounge that is very similar to a FL.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:00 am

That one is closed, but there is a OneWorld Premium lounge that is very similar to a FL.
norf9 is correct, there is no FL in MIA right now. There's been talk since it closed that a new one would reopen in Concourse D, but I haven't heard or read any news on that in quite some time. Discussion relevant to that topic is located here. Note that the premium lounge has some flagship-like qualities, but it isn't up to the same standard and also allows many more people in than a normal flagship lounge's entry eligibility would permit.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by JDiver
The Flagship Lounge at DFW (in Terminal A, you can still see it when you enter the DFW - A Admirals Club - FL to right, Arrivals Lounge to left) was closed some years ago; when Terminal D became the new international terminal AA chose to have a slightly improved Club and not have a FL. (BA uses the sublounges in the The Club at DFW (D21) - they have both a Business and First lounge within.) The demographics just do not call for an AA Arrivals or Flagship Lounge at a captive hub like this; they do call for a Flagship Check-in for those who meet the requirements who are checking in here for AA.
Can pax traveling on int'l AA flights in F use The Club, or are they relegated to one of the ACs?
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold

Were you admitted without a fight? Or did the dragon say you had to use the nearby AC (like MIA Terraces in the old days) until you made a fuss about OW rules?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.