Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: All About AA Flagship Check-In at JFK, LAX, MIA, ORD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: All About AA Flagship Check-In at JFK, LAX, MIA, ORD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by bagold
I was at MIA a couple of months ago. Flew MIA-LHR on AA F. Went to the Flagship check in but was turned away. They told me it was only for CK or 5 Star service.

I was on a RTW F ticket booked in A. Could that be the reason?
Clearly contrary to the stated rules for eligibility.

You are not the first person to be turned away, and should complain.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
JFK Flagship Check-In!

I was at JFK today and got a peek at the new Flagship Check-In area, currently under construction, but pretty close to done. It is going to be VERY nice indeed---elegant design, wood floors, subtle architectural flairs, and furniture, great lighting. Very calming feel, away from the terminal bustle. 3 TA positions and 1 kiosk installed thus far. IMHO, the most valuable feature is what looks like a direct exit to TSA screening area (ala LAX, bypassing the contractors who bother you about your carry-ons), with possibly even a dedicated checkpoint. Would be amazing if so!

My only thought was that it looks a bit small to accommodate the number of pax eligible to use it....there are quite a lot of 3-class F seats departing JFK each day, plus all the CK members. In fact, there could be over two dozen pax using it at once in the late afternoon for the LHR, Deep SA, and LAX departures. But I guess the other Premium check-in area will continue to operate.

Sorry, I cannot post pics because the area is not yet open to the public. But trust me, it will be VERY nice!
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
off topic, however, I love DFW. I valet my car, walk 20 feet and through pre check and generally have less than 1000 feet to reach my plane. I bet I average 5 minutes from the time I hand the keys to the valet to the time I am through pre-check security. Where else is it that good?

Back on topic
Does anyone know the date that the flagship checking opening at DFW? (website says by summer 2013).
Old Apr 22, 2013, 5:25 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I was at JFK today and got a peek at the new Flagship Check-In area, currently under construction, but pretty close to done. It is going to be VERY nice indeed---elegant design, wood floors, subtle architectural flairs, and furniture, great lighting. Very calming feel, away from the terminal bustle. 3 TA positions and 1 kiosk installed thus far. IMHO, the most valuable feature is what looks like a direct exit to TSA screening area (ala LAX, bypassing the contractors who bother you about your carry-ons), with possibly even a dedicated checkpoint. Would be amazing if so!

My only thought was that it looks a bit small to accommodate the number of pax eligible to use it....there are quite a lot of 3-class F seats departing JFK each day, plus all the CK members. In fact, there could be over two dozen pax using it at once in the late afternoon for the LHR, Deep SA, and LAX departures. But I guess the other Premium check-in area will continue to operate.

Sorry, I cannot post pics because the area is not yet open to the public. But trust me, it will be VERY nice!
Where is it? Direct security feed?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sts603
Where is it? Direct security feed?

Right side of the ticket lobby, between the partner ticket counters and the east bank of elevators.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: Starwood, AA
curious about eligibility:
Traveling First Class onboard an international American or select oneworld alliance carrier* anywhere in your outbound itinerary*Eligible oneworld alliance carriers include, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines and Qantas. These carriers offer an international First Class service, which is defined as First Class service onboard a three-class (i.e. First, Business and Main Cabin) or four-class (i.e. First, Business, Premium Economy and Main Cabin) aircraft.

could this include tickets such as AONEX that have F flights later in the itinerary (outbound from US, but not same-day)? for example Day 1 DFW-JFK on AA in D, then 1 week later JFK-NRT on JL F. Could you use the Flagship checking in DFW?
probably not, but the wording is ambiguous
Old Apr 22, 2013, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by lerasp
curious about eligibility:
Traveling First Class onboard an international American or select oneworld alliance carrier* anywhere in your outbound itinerary*Eligible oneworld alliance carriers include, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines and Qantas. These carriers offer an international First Class service, which is defined as First Class service onboard a three-class (i.e. First, Business and Main Cabin) or four-class (i.e. First, Business, Premium Economy and Main Cabin) aircraft.

could this include tickets such as AONEX that have F flights later in the itinerary (outbound from US, but not same-day)? for example Day 1 DFW-JFK on AA in D, then 1 week later JFK-NRT on JL F. Could you use the Flagship checking in DFW?
probably not, but the wording is ambiguous
Continuous travel is the generally accepted definition. So to answer your question, no. If one would be primed to leave the airport under normal circumstances, then it cuts off check-in availability.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 9:33 am
Suspended

When r they going to have a flagship lounge in DFW?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by correctioncx
Here are two threads (among many) on that topic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post20541150

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ounge-dfw.html

This thread is about a new Flagship Check-in area.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 9:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Here are two threads (among many) on that topic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post20541150

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ounge-dfw.html

This thread is about a new Flagship Check-in area.
But then why a flagship checkin area?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
$$$$
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flagship Lounge and Flagship Check-In serve two different demographics. Any Flagship Lounge would be subject to OneWorld access rules, since AA is a founding OW member. There are way too many EXPs based at DFW or connecting there on eligible itineraries. Any FL at DFW would be jam-packed all day with EXPs traveling overseas on cheap Y fares. (I know I would be there, for one!)

By contrast, Flagship Check-In is specifically limited to premium customers defined by REVENUE, not elite status. CK, 3-class F, and 5-Star are customers who offer some kind of revenue-based premium to AA. It would be in AA's interests to cater to them specifically.

Finally, there is no competitive reason to have a FL at DFW. Unlike at ORD, at DFW nobody else comes close to AA in terms of international F service, and the overseas OW carriers (whose customers expect more amenities than the domestic ACs provide) already have their own exclusive lounges in D.

(Speaking of which.....I'm not sure if most of us remember those non-AA OW lounges are there! I fly international long-haul out of DFW plenty, but I haven't bothered going to the BA or QF-operated lounges in many years when flying on eligible routings....do any of you, fellow EXPs, bother? I seem to recall those lounges are small, no wifi, and drinks, though free, must be requested and brought out to you by a server? Are there dragons who give you a hard time these days?)
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
The Flagship Lounge at DFW (in Terminal A, you can still see it when you enter the DFW - A Admirals Club - FL to right, Arrivals Lounge to left) was closed some years ago; when Terminal D became the new international terminal AA chose to have a slightly improved Club and not have a FL. (BA uses the sublounges in the The Club at DFW (D21) - they have both a Business and First lounge within.) The demographics just do not call for an AA Arrivals or Flagship Lounge at a captive hub like this; they do call for a Flagship Check-in for those who meet the requirements who are checking in here for AA.

Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC, AMEX PLT
Originally Posted by ESpen36
By contrast, Flagship Check-In is specifically limited to premium customers defined by REVENUE, not elite status. CK, 3-class F, and 5-Star are customers who offer some kind of revenue-based premium to AA. It would be in AA's interests to cater to them specifically.
Is this correct? I do Flagship check-in at LHR based on my EXP status. Honestly, I don't get all the fuss. It's just a separate room, and I don't find it much different from a first class check-in inside the airport. I don't have experience with flagship check-in at US airports as I'm typically connecting. The flagships lounges are really nice though (as compared to general AC, of course they don't compare to some international OW lounges).
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by dmbtr3
Is this correct? I do Flagship check-in at LHR based on my EXP status. Honestly, I don't get all the fuss. It's just a separate room, and I don't find it much different from a first class check-in inside the airport. I don't have experience with flagship check-in at US airports as I'm typically connecting. The flagships lounges are really nice though (as compared to general AC, of course they don't compare to some international OW lounges).
Yes, the Flagship check in at LHR is a little different from the ones in the US (currently only LAX and MIA) in terms of entry requirements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.