Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2018 about, guide to, listing of, compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 compensation master thread is here.
Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (2018, master thread)

Welcome to the "2018 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: If compensation is not generated automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2018 about, guide to, listing of, compensation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:55 am

This would get more traction in the AA forum. I think there’s even a compensation thread there.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First, 15K is very reasonable.

Second, AA is largely out of the business of negotiating customer service gestures as they are in its sole discretion. Unless it is something complex and they have the facts wrong, AA tends to offer what it is willing to do. As it has no obligation to do anything, this becomes a fairly quick and efficient system. Here, the facts seem confined and simple.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:24 am
Suspended

Seems pretty good, considering the COC doesn't promise entertainment.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I doubt you'd get any more even if you tried, and it seems reasonable to me - I'd take it and be done with it.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Another perspective of the offer. I would value a mile at 1.5 cents. The equivalent of $225 cash seems good to me.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

15K miles is pretty good to me ( I got around 7.5k miles on BA Business for non functioning IFE ( although BA/AAmiles not directly comparable)

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:31 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Welcome to FT, Used2loveUA

Moderator Note: Please follow the re-titled thread to AA, where it may be merged into an existing, ongoing discussion.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Used2LoveUA
On recent flight, AA50, DFW-LHR, entertainment system wasn’t working in business class. Offered 15k miles as compensation, but I don’t know if that’s reasonable.
For just an IFE, in this day and AAge, absolutely. 15K of AAdvantage bit currency can get you one way in coach to many US destinations or even round-trip to the contiguous 48 U.S. states on flights less than 500 miles (domestic awards are upgradable if you are an EXP).

Status, type of issue, etc... all play a part in the customer service gestures so if you weren't FAM'd or involuntarily downgraded, it's a good day in AA land.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by LutherVP
Flying SCL-DFW-XXX last night in premium economy. Flight cancelled for mechanical after we sit on board for 3 hours, usual shenanigans ensue but we end up taken back through immigration and customs, wait for a bus to hotel (the Sheraton - nice!) and they reschedule last night's flight for tonight. (>24 hours later). I called AA and even working through LAN they couldn't get me home less than 24 hours after the scheduled arrival. I understand that mechanicals happen, and all in all the local AA folks handled things reasonably well (though the buses took forever to show up and they could have just given everyone taxi vouchers). But given that I am getting home 24 hours later than scheduled, I would expect some compensation. Any sense of what would be reasonable? I have platinum status in case that matters.
Just to add a data point here, sending an email produced 15,000 miles. Not sure how a 24 hour delay is equivalent to non-working IFE, but there are bigger problems in this world...
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Downgrade due to equipment change day of departure

I was upgraded complimentary XNA-DFW on an E75, but the aircraft was changed to an E145 last minute, obviously resulting in a downgrade. What compensation would this qualify for and what is the standard downgrade compensation?

I am sure this has been mentioned before, but I can’t find the answer after searching around!
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by joepercussion1
I was upgraded complimentary XNA-DFW on an E75, but the aircraft was changed to an E145 last minute, obviously resulting in a downgrade. What compensation would this qualify for and what is the standard downgrade compensation?

I am sure this has been mentioned before, but I can’t find the answer after searching around!
There's no rubric. Send the email, see if you get anything. Couple thousand miles is better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Unrelated, I flew KOA-DFW a couple weeks ago on a 772 and my handheld remote controller for the IFE didn't work, but the rest of the system still did. Wasn't a problem once I figured out how to control lights from the main screen (despite 3 FAs telling me it wasn't possible to do so, 2 of which said the lights couldn't come on at all if my remote was dead, and the other one of which said he'd [sigh] have to go to the back to turn my reading lights on, which he did but come on). Sent in a note to report the issue, only because the FAs didn't want to write it up, and got 10,000 miles for the entertainment inconvenience.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Interesting. I thought AA was once you are upgraded, no matter the instrument, you maintain the upgrade, and then downgrade compensation takes place if you are downgraded? Is that not the case (anymore)?

Anyone else with this experience?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
As far as I know, AA doesn't have specific "downgrade compensation." It's literally up to whatever CSR and algorithm AA is using at the moment. So try writing in, but be prepared for nothing.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:15 pm

Tonight, a friend was traveling OKC-DFW-LHR. The OKC-DFW Flight #5774 had a scheduled departure time of 8:18PM and scheduled arrival time of 9:19PM. There were mechanical issues and the flight was delayed incoming to OKC. It ultimately departed at 9:00PM and arrived in DFW at 9:53PM. The DFW-LHR Flight #80 was scheduled to depart at 10:10PM. Actual departure time was 10:07PM. When my friend landed, she raced to the DFW-LHR gate, but arrived at 10:03PM and the boarding doors had closed. AA then put her on the next flight out tomorrow afternoon, 8/20. AA provided her a hotel voucher and a $12 meal voucher. Another issue was her checked bag. The bag did not make the DFW-LHR flight. The customer service agents said they could not retrieve her bag. (Finally, to add insult to injury, she was scheduled to land on her birthday. Now here 10 day trip has been reduced by a day.)

Is she deserved additional compensation (i.e EC261)? If so, how should she go about this? She tried in vain, and unsuccessfully to get compensation at DFW after landing...

Also, she did use points to book the ticket.

Moderators - If this is more appropriate for the EC261 thread, please move.

Last edited by tbone14; Aug 19, 2018 at 11:27 pm
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by tbone14
Tonight, a friend was traveling OKC-DFW-LHR. The OKC-DFW Flight #5774 had a scheduled departure time of 8:18PM and scheduled arrival time of 9:19PM. There were mechanical issues and the flight was delayed incoming to OKC. It ultimately departed at 9:00PM and arrived in DFW at 9:53PM. The DFW-LHR Flight #80 was scheduled to depart at 10:10PM. Actual departure time was 10:07PM. When my friend landed, she raced to the DFW-LHR gate, but arrived at 10:03PM and the boarding doors had closed. AA then put her on the next flight out tomorrow afternoon, 8/20. AA provided her a hotel voucher and a $12 meal voucher. Another issue was her checked bag. The bag did not make the DFW-LHR flight. The customer service agents said they could not retrieve her bag. (Finally, to add insult to injury, she was scheduled to land on her birthday. Now here 10 day trip has been reduced by a day.)

Is she deserved additional compensation (i.e EC261)? If so, how should she go about this? She tried in vain, and unsuccessfully to get compensation at DFW after landing...

Also, she did use points to book the ticket.

Moderators - If this is more appropriate for the EC261 thread, please move.
No, EC261 doesn't apply to AA flights TO the EU. Only to AA flights from the EU. Also, because the delay was on a wholly domestic flight (OKC-DFW) it would also preclude EC261 from applying. She may be able to write in and get some miles or a voucher as a customer service gesture, but it wouldn't be covered by EC261.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.