Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST. Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators can edit this Wikipost.

Welcome to the "2014 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation requests and settlements in the following format:

. . ● Date and Flight info
. . ● AAdvantage status
. . ● Fare class
. . ● What happened
. . ● Compensation
. . ● Comments
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2012, 4:24 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Arrow ARCHIVE: 2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Welcome to the "2014 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

Date
AAdvantage Status
Fare class
What happened
Compensation
Comments

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTES

Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download HERE.

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
• Flights to/from Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

AA Forum Moderator Team

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 19, 2014 at 2:36 pm Reason: update for 2014 thread
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:34 pm

No F dinner catered

● Date and Flight info 12/31/13 AA 1327 PBI-LGA
● AAdvantage status EXP
● Fare class Y
● What happened First Class Dinner not catered (entire F cabin)
● Compensation $25 (twenty-five dollars)
● Comments none

Last edited by shoodawg; Jan 2, 2014 at 5:07 pm Reason: clarify entire F cabin
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
That's pretty weak, I think I'd have been disappointed with that offer.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
That's pretty weak, I think I'd have been disappointed with that offer.
I was, but don't plan to push it with AA. I chalk it up to the new company, and the future of things to look forward to, or avoid.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by shoodawg
● AAdvantage status EXP
● Fare class Y
● Comments none
I guess now we know how AA would price its domestic two-class F dinners.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
● AAdvantage status EXP
● Fare class Y
● Comments none
This is one of the primary pre-departure duties of the F cabin F/A -to ensure that the right number and type of meal is properly loaded well before departure time. $25 is riduculous. You do say you were Y class- were you a last minute upgrade? That shouldn't explain why the entire cabin went without a meal.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
This is one of the primary pre-departure duties of the F cabin F/A -to ensure that the right number and type of meal is properly loaded well before departure time. $25 is riduculous. You do say you were Y class- were you a last minute upgrade? That shouldn't explain why the entire cabin went without a meal.
We were upgraded at 100. All 16 F seats were full. Mistakes happen, but I agree, $25 is ridiculous. The F F/A was a new hire. I think this sector may be catered in LGA (it's a round trip, and same flight # both directions.)
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
We were upgraded at 100. All 16 F seats were full. Mistakes happen, but I agree, $25 is ridiculous. The F F/A was a new hire. I think this sector may be catered in LGA (it's a round trip, and same flight # both directions.)
Maybe she gave double portions to the passengers on the LGA-RDU flight
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:51 pm

Date: December 31st, 2013
AAdvantage Status: GOLD
Fare class: Saaver F from DFW-HNL
What happened: Tablet would not hold charge (2 tablets tried) and only able to watch for about an hour before each one zonked out. Bose headphones only worked in one ear (which would switch sides throughout movies).
Compensation: 10,000 miles
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Downgraded from paid first due to weather, chance of Refund(edit)?

Husband, toddler, and I were flying MBJ-MIA-BOS in paid first yesterday. With the snow storm, we found our 5:30pm MIA-BOS leg cancelled, but toddler and I were luckily rebooked on the 3:10pm MIA-BOS flight in coach (so we got home 1 hour earlier than originally scheduled). Husband flew out the next day in 1st. We separated figuring that 2 getting home now and rebooking 1 was easier than trying to figure out how to rebook all 3 of us together. The best they were offering was a 2 connection flight home on Saturday otherwise.

Is there any point in calling AA asking for refund for the MIA-BOS downgrade for toddler and myself? Or should we just be happy that we got home the day we expected to instead of being stranded for days in MIA.

ETA: I am very grateful to have gotten home safely and not been stranded for multiple days. Also very grateful to the agents who did everything they could to help out a traveling family. While the situation wasn't ideal, they did do everything they could to make it manageable for all of us. This is more of a "Is it worth my time to even try?" kind of question, not an "I'm really upset, and I think AA owes me big time, how do I get as much compensation as possible?" question.

EtA2: change to refund because that's what I really meant anyway.

Last edited by JennyElf; Jan 5, 2014 at 3:21 pm
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Call and ask.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by PainCorp
Call and ask.
On what basis? AA doesn't control the weather.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vasantn
Yes, and that is why AA won't cover meals, hotels, and transportation if a passenger accepts a reroute to another airport, but F was paid for and Y was flown. I never said it was 100% that it would happen, but just to call and ask. I would be very surprised if it didn't happen.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by JennyElf
Is there any point in calling AA asking for compensation for the MIA-BOS downgrade for toddler and myself? Or should we just be happy that we got home the day we expected to instead of being stranded for days in MIA.
Be happy that two of you got home on the same day. But definitely call AA to request compensation for the downgrade. As for how much compensation (if any) is due, the issues are complex: Do a search on FT for "downgrade compensation" to understand all the reasons for this.

AA doesn't control the weather, but they do control their prices. This issue is about the latter.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Uh, on the basis that calling and asking costs nothing?

Duh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.