Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2018 about, guide to, listing of, compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 compensation master thread is here.
Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (2018, master thread)

Welcome to the "2018 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: If compensation is not generated automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2018 about, guide to, listing of, compensation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
No, EC261 doesn't apply to AA flights TO the EU. Only to AA flights from the EU. Also, because the delay was on a wholly domestic flight (OKC-DFW) it would also preclude EC261 from applying. She may be able to write in and get some miles or a voucher as a customer service gesture, but it wouldn't be covered by EC261.
Okay, that makes sense. So the only recourse she would have is against AA then? Does this qualify as an involuntary schedule change because she was rebooked due to missing a connection flight based on mechanical issues? She was initially scheduled to land at LHR at 1:15PM on 8/20 with a connection to FCO arriving ~7PM on 8/20. AA rebooked her on a non-stop DFW-FCO arriving at 7:35AM 8/21. So she would be arriving > 12 hours than what she had booked.

Last edited by tbone14; Aug 20, 2018 at 11:00 pm Reason: Incorrect airport code Rome
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
When there are multiple pax on one PNR and only one has status does AA credit miles or vouchers as compensation to all people on the PNR if the one with the highest status writes to complain? What happens if one of the other pax isn’t an AAdvantage member (used a different FF program to credit miles)?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by salut0
When there are multiple pax on one PNR and only one has status does AA credit miles or vouchers as compensation to all people on the PNR if the one with the highest status writes to complain? What happens if one of the other pax isn’t an AAdvantage member (used a different FF program to credit miles)?
Keep it simple. If you're going to ask for vouchers, then stick with vouchers. If you're going to ask an AA mile credit, it's going to be an AA mileage credit, not a mix of AA and partner miles.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tbone14
Okay, that makes sense. So the only recourse she would have is against AA then? Does this qualify as an involuntary schedule change because she was rebooked due to missing a connection flight based on mechanical issues? She was initially scheduled to land at LHR at 1:15PM on 8/20 with a connection to MCO arriving ~7PM on 8/20. AA rebooked her on a non-stop DFW-MCO arriving at 7:35AM 8/21. So she would be arriving > 12 hours than what she had booked.
She's flying OKC-DFW-LHR-MCO?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
She's flying OKC-DFW-LHR-MCO?
Sorry, the original itinerary was OKC-DFW-LHR-FCO. OKC-DFW-LHR was on AA. LHR-FCO was BA. When OKC-DFW was late due to mechanical issues, she missed the DFW-LHR-FCO legs. AA rebooked her non-stop DFW-FCO the following day, with arrival into FCO 12 hours later than originally booked/scheduled.

Is the only option to email AA to request a voucher? She does not have any status, so miles would be of little value.

Last edited by tbone14; Aug 20, 2018 at 11:02 pm Reason: Incorrect airport code Rome
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: DL DM
Hello everyone
first time flying AA. We were supposed to fly LHR to JFK in J on AA 141. The flight got cancelled (that’s what the ground staff at the AA lounge told us even though online it looks as is the flight is delayed by 15 hours). Funny thing is that the monitor at the airport said the flight was only delayed by 30 minutes and we didn’t get a notification regarding the cancellation. We were in the CX lounge so I found out by pure luck that the flight got cancelled by popping into the Aa lounge to check it out. We got rebooked onto a Virgin Flight that got in 30 minutes after the originally schedule flight. Other than the appalling Upper class product (it felt as if we were on a greyhound bus) we lost our special meal request, they lost our bags and we had to sit separately. I understand this doesn’t sound like a crazy experience but we had started the day in Santorini where local staff took 45 minutes to issue a boarding pass because some issue with the fact that we were flying BA and then connecting to AA (???) and when we finally got to JFK we didn’t get to leave until 3 hours after landing because of the missing bags and having to report them. Are we possibly entitled to anything ?
thanks so much for any help you can give
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tbone14
Sorry, the original itinerary was OKC-DFW-LHR-FCO. OKC-DFW-LHR was on AA. LHR-FCO was BA. When OKC-DFW was late due to mechanical issues, she missed the DFW-LHR-FCO legs. AA rebooked her non-stop DFW-FCO the following day, with arrival into FCO 12 hours later than originally booked/scheduled.

Is the only option to email AA to request a voucher? She does not have any status, so miles would be of little value.
Ah FCO.. I was confused as to why someone was routing to Orlando/MCO via LHR

Unfortunately, EC261 only applies to EU carriers or flights departing the EU for non EU carriers. As a result, your best option is to ask for a voucher. Not a whole lot more unfortunately.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
  • Date: August 17-18, 2019
  • AAdvantage Status: Platinum (1MM)
  • Fare class: Paid First Fare (I) BWI-PHX
  • What happened: Massive maintenance delays caused a 7 hour delay on the Friday evening BWI-PHX flight. Once it got delayed past midnight (scheduled departure of 5:39 PM) I paid for a hotel and dinner out of my own pocket (AA agents at BWI refused vouchers) and rebooked for the next morning. Flight the next morning was delayed a half hour due to maintenance. I got to Phoenix 14 hours later than planned.
  • Compensation: 10,000 Miles
    • Comments: Pretty pathetic offer, I plan to call back and request more.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
I had a dumb situation occur last week MIA-SJU.
This flight uses the international configuration on the 767 and I was seated in 1A.
The flight was on time and boarding was nearing the end when the lead FA approached me to see if I would be willing to change seats with a gentleman in 8A (the last seat in the cabin) because said gentleman was worried about missing his connection. I didn't really care as it's the exact same seat but I was a bit annoyed since, we were actually scheduled to arrive early, and I knew I would be the last person to receive drink service. I did however agree since it was an older gentleman and he was clearly making a big fuss. The only thing that really irritated me was that when I passed the man in the aisle after waiting 10 minutes for him to get his stuff together and make his way to the front, he didn't even mention a thank you or make eye contact. Anyway, I got to my seat and when the same FA arrived to inquire about drinks and lunch, he asked my name and came back and told me he had added miles to my account for being so gracious and agreeing to swap seats. I checked when I landed and he had given me 500 miles.
Anyway, not sure where I'm going with this story, just wanted to share. I didn't want or need any compensation (certainly not 500 miles) and they took very good care of me throughout the flight so I really have no complaints. I think mostly I was just annoyed because I was starting my vacation and had to wait an extra half hour for a cocktail once we were in the air .
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
How long do AA generally take to reply to emails to customer service? I submitted two emails two days ago through separate accounts via the app and received two receipts with confirmation numbers but no subsequent messages at all.

Previously they’d reply within 24 hours.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by salut0
How long do AA generally take to reply to emails to customer service? I submitted two emails two days ago through separate accounts via the app and received two receipts with confirmation numbers but no subsequent messages at all.

Previously they’d reply within 24 hours.
I emailed my last complaint on Saturday morning and got a response Monday afternoon.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP
Date: 8/24/18
Class: Main Cabin
What happened: 2-hour delay (not Wx) to final destination, no missed connections, etc. Just a late night.

This was a few weeks ago, and not really a big deal, but just thought I’d provide another data point. DFW-DSM was scheduled to depart at 8:40 pm and arrive at 10:40pm. When my first leg arrived at DFW the departure time was already delayed 30 min due to incoming aircraft. Then it was bumped another 15 min x2, aircraft taken out of service (at the gate), moved to new gate (different concourse), boarded, waited ~15 min for fueling (aircraft was supposed to be done for the day) and another ~15 min waiting for a new push-off crew (original crew clocked out during the refueling process). This information was all communicated freely by the flight crew. All in all, departed and arrived 2 hours late, landed at 12:40 am. I did have an EXP coworker on the flight who called the EXP line and was told it was not a Wx delay (medical ?).

I wasn’t expecting any compensation, but after reading some posts in this thread I saw people getting some token compensation for minor inconveniences, so I thought it couldn’t hurt to ask, especially since I knew it wasn’t Wx. I emailed Customer Care and explained what happened, even complimenting the gate agents and flight crew for their open communication.

The main part of the response was: “While it is certainly our goal to operate each and every flight as planned, we have the responsibility to make changes to our schedules to resolve problems caused by weather, flight conditions, mechanical difficulties or other operational challenges. Therefore, we will not be offering any compensation on this occasion.”

Again, this was not a big deal but I thought I might as well ask, I thought it might be pretty easy for them to throw me a few miles, but I guess not. Anyways, just thought I’d add another data point. Oh, as a bonus I did get to accompany my coworker into the Admirals Lounge and got a free beer just before close while he called the EXP line, so there's that
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Date: September 30, 2018
AAdvantage Status: EXP 2MM
Flight: LAX-DFW on 789
Fare class: Paid Economy S Class, no upgrade although was assigned Premium Economy seat
What happened: 35 minute delay for fuel removal after plane was mistakenly fueled for LAX-GIG (uh, that plane was next door at Gate 43... LOL). In the air, movies worked but no Wifi and no Live TV
Compensation: 10,000 miles
Remarks: Can't complain as my ticket cost less than the 10,000 miles would have cost. And my connecting DFW-PIT upgrade cleared easily.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SFO777
Date: September 30, 2018
AAdvantage Status: EXP 2MM
Flight: LAX-DFW on 789
Fare class: Paid Economy S Class, no upgrade although was assigned Premium Economy seat
What happened: 35 minute delay for fuel removal after plane was mistakenly fueled for LAX-GIG (uh, that plane was next door at Gate 43... LOL). In the air, movies worked but no Wifi and no Live TV
Compensation: 10,000 miles
Remarks: Can't complain as my ticket cost less than the 10,000 miles would have cost. And my connecting DFW-PIT upgrade cleared easily.
Did you write in to customer service or did they proactively deposit the miles?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dciolli
Did you write in to customer service or did they proactively deposit the miles?
Wrote to CS using online contact link.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.